Weird CTD at High Hrothgar

Azurabane

So I'm trying to continue with the vanilla dragonborn quest, and I'm stuck at the greybeards. After doing the 3 unrelenting shouts at the phantoms, the greybeards and my character talk and then rely on Borri to finish the quest off by meeting outside to learn my whirlwind shout. I either CTD when I first glance at him or when he approaches the double doors to exit outside my game CTD's. I cannot advance further apparently. Any idea what's going on, whether this is a mod conflict or a bug?

Here's my mod list (Won't let me upload the papyrus log for some reason. Yes, I have SKSE, SSE Fix though not sure if this is even working..., DLL plugin order; this I don't think works because the log reads nothing and I can't find any other tutorial on how to troubleshoot this, and SKSE64 engine fix; this one currently works.) 

Thank you in advance!

So I'm trying to continue with the vanilla dragonborn quest, and I'm stuck at the greybeards. After doing the 3 unrelenting shouts at the phantoms, the greybeards and my character talk and then rely on Borri to finish the quest off by meeting outside to learn my whirlwind shout. I either CTD when I first glance at him or when he approaches the double doors to exit outside my game CTD's. I cannot advance further apparently. Any idea what's going on, whether this is a mod conflict or a bug?

Here's my mod list (Won't let me upload the papyrus log for some reason. Yes, I have SKSE, SSE Fix though not sure if this is even working..., DLL plugin order; this I don't think works because the log reads nothing and I can't find any other tutorial on how to troubleshoot this, and SKSE64 engine fix; this one currently works.) 

Thank you in advance!

The first thing you should do is to validate your local files: Steam, then right click on Skyrim SE, Properties, then Verify Integrity of Local Files. When I've had this problem, in the past ... no matter where in the game or the map ... usually about 5-6 files are corrupt, and have to be downloaded, again.

If this happens, I'm going to assume that you have LOOT. Check it when you're done validating your local files, and if it tells you that Update, Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn files need to be cleaned, use TESSEDIT to do so. Also, you have quite a mod list, there. How often do you add or delete mods from your game? Adding or deleting mods while in a play-through can thoroughly mess up the game.

One last thing: I love SSE because of the graphics. But I've found the game to be thoroughly crash-worthy, depending on the computer that I use. When playing SSE (or Oldrim, for that matter), I always set the executable file at high priority. Before I learned how to do this, my SSE would CTD within five seconds of entering the first chamber in Bleak Falls Barrow. On high priority, I NEVER have a CTD that is due to a lack of system resources. It is always due to mods.

Someone else should look at your modlist and determine if there are any mods which naturally conflict with each other. I don't have the expertise on the mods to tell you which ones conflict.

Good luck!

@Azurabane, @ Darkonch, @Naterno, @UndeadHooker

You might look into the question of computer resources devoted to the Skyrim SE executable, also. I went straight from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and so I don't know if you can do this for the Windows version in between (I couldn't in Win7). This is how you do it, in Windows 10:

1. Load up the game to where you would normally press "Continue". Instead,

2. Press Alt-Ctrl-Del

3. Go to the Task Manager, then Details, and scroll down to find the Executable

4. Right click on the Executable

5. Go to Priority, and click on "High"

6. Press "x" in upper Right-hand corner, to close the Task Manager.

7. Get out of the game down on the taskbar, and then restart it

8. You will have most of the resources of the computer devoted to the game, when it is running, for the rest of the day.

9. After your turn off your computer, you will have to go through this process, again. Don't worry, it takes me about 30 seconds to do it.

I hope that this helps. Your problem might be that you are simply running out of computer system resources.

o

Thank you in advance!

Okay, I went through all the steps that Tragthemercenary laid out. I still was getting the problem. I removed all of my mods and the problem went away (big surprise, modding breaks Skyrim). I slowly added them in one by one and it was working. The mod that seemed to break it for me was Campfire.esm. I don't know why but that seemed to mess it up. I haven't added all of my mods back in yet but try removing that one and see if it works. It is weird because I've done playthroughs with that enabled in the past and it worked. I know I've done it on Oldrim but maybe I haven't done it on SE. Either way try that and let me know how it works. I'll make an update when I've added all my other mods back on to see if it works.

Lesson to be learned: modding Skyrim is a painful nightmare and you really have to be careful with large load orders and mod incompatibilities.

@Azurabane, @ Darkonch, @Naterno, @UndeadHooker

You might look into the question of computer resources devoted to the Skyrim SE executable, also. I went straight from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and so I don't know if you can do this for the Windows version in between (I couldn't in Win7). This is how you do it, in Windows 10:

1. Load up the game to where you would normally press "Continue". Instead,

2. Press Alt-Ctrl-Del

3. Go to the Task Manager, then Details, and scroll down to find the Executable

4. Right click on the Executable

5. Go to Priority, and click on "High"

6. Press "x" in upper Right-hand corner, to close the Task Manager.

7. Get out of the game down on the taskbar, and then restart it

8. You will have most of the resources of the computer devoted to the game, when it is running, for the rest of the day.

9. After your turn off your computer, you will have to go through this process, again. Don't worry, it takes me about 30 seconds to do it.

I hope that this helps. Your problem might be that you are simply running out of computer system resources.

Thank you, your post was extremely helpful. While it didn't entirely fix the problem, it helped me troubleshoot and I learned how to use SSEdit. Kind of. I watched Gopher's video and I think I did it correctly. When I use filters to clean it still shows a lot of red highlights and text...Either way, thank you!

• 2 months later...