Am I the only one that hate this so called "open world"? NO SPOILERS

Vaalyah

No, you are not the only one.

I haven't played this game since it first came out so I can't remember many details about it.

What I do remember is that I was expecting something amazing like DAO but that this title was broken and buggy and replete with shockingly awful design decisions that made it unplayable for me.

I didn't even finish it before uninstalling, forever. I have played BG2 and all of them too.

DAI was the title that made me understand why people hate EA so much.

So, someone who was disappointed/frustrated with the initial release, and hasn't revisited the game since despite there being after several (11) official patches, has chimed in to say "Didn't like it..."

Shocker. :armscrossed:

"Perks" are earned by completing objectives along the Main Plotline.

I think it was a bug. I have loaded an older save and now things are back to normal, thanks!

So, someone who was disappointed/frustrated with the initial release, and hasn't revisited the game since despite there being after several (11) official patches, has chimed in to say "Didn't like it..."

Shocker. :armscrossed:

The point is: patches are there to fix bugs, not the intended mechanics of the game. The thing he is complaining about is the mechanic.

By the way, I've just discovered that you can use only 8 skills during the battle and so you are supposed to re-equip your shortcut list before each battle, trying to guess what you'll be going to use. If this is not a stupid idea by design, that no patch has fixed, I don't know in which other way I could call it. Plain "by design" idiocy, perhaps.

The "eight-slot limit" and the need to choose judiciously between all your available abilities was a very deliberate design choice. See the twitter and twitch discussions with the BioWare staff if you want details.

One, (but by no means the only) reason for this was to encourage the player to actually learn what it takes to defeat certain enemies, and plan/equip for those battles accordingly. Of course that means scouting-out the situations and/or running away when you realize your party isn't properly prepared! :laugh:

The "eight-slot limit" and the need to choose judiciously between all your available abilities was a very deliberate design choice. See the twitter and twitch discussions with the BioWare staff if you want details.

I personally love your faith in developers, but actually, the point is: console.

For console, you have a limit of 150 save games

For console, you cannot rename the save files.

For console, you have just 8 slots (for the pad has only 8 directions!).

These, and others, have been explained in many gaming sites I've read, recently.

Plus, considering that the average combat in this game is me hitting (don't know the name of spells in English):

ice block

flash

other flash

another flash

ice block again

flash

other flash

another flash

fire explosion

ice block

end of combat (repeat several times in case of higher HP enemies), I cannot see the strategy at all. I don't even LOOK at the enemy. When I see the red circle, I start to click on those. [then we could speak about bears that follow you to attach, even if, in nature, they would probably ignore you, if you're not attacking. I've tried my best to avoid them, for not having to stop every 5 sec in doing the click-sequence above, just to go, pick a piece of mosaics, and go into another map, but no, you are FORCED to stop and click-sequence every 5 seconds. Good job, game!)

You can't set a queue of things to do for your characters, so the strategical part of the combat is nonexistent. And if you click on another companion, the time to give orders or move it from the actual position, your pc is already doing whatever she wants.

The problem with Bioware games since a while? Trying to appeal to console players. And don't even make me start with dialogue wheel.

Hi Vaalyah

Bears (and many other dangers) can be avoided most of the time by scouting and keeping an eye on the compass - see a red dot, pause and go to tactical mode, instruct your team to move out of the way, go to normal mode, wait for the bear to pass.....

Similarly, by pausing and entering tactical mode you can give a single instruction to each party member (movement, attack type etc) - I agree stacking orders would make battles/fights easier, but there is a clear choice made not to include this option and make people re-evaluate the situation in real time - The battle with (careful, spoiler here) Floriane in Halamshiral is an excellent example of how the battle situation can change very quickly, and where stacked commands would probably be inappropriate or even disastrous

Edited by ThingTheWiz

Please, as said in the title, NO SPOILERS. I have no idea who this Floriane is and I'd like to keep it that way, till I reach the point in my game.

I've tested the so called "tactical mode" for about 5 times, before removing even the shortcut. The camera is a nightmare, again, due to console hardware limitations. Many articles around the net perfectly summarize why tactical mode is pure s**t, so I would not repeat it all here.

The point is: I see the red dot. I move my companions in order to avoid it. I press Disengage several time, just in case, we keep running in the middle of a river, after a while Sera says "There is something to check" (that means, perform a search, there is probably some stupid bottle of wine here around), so I stop from running. The bear actually REAPPEAR in front of me, even if we had left him alone one minute before, near the mouth of the river. You simply can't run away, he pursues you. This is not even "idiotic because real bears would never do that", it is even more idiotic because the damn animal teleport in front of me and I simply cannot run away.

I am still puzzled for why people even try to defend the mechanics of this game, even if everyone and their mother have already exposed the many problems they are affected by. :-/

@Vaalyah; People who don't like the mechanics complain about them. People who are ok with them... don't. With the switch to the Frostbite engine, some things that used to be part of the DA games (e.g. chained AI tactics) weren't possible. Others (e.g. tac-cam view) became more clunky.

Your insistence on the validity of the "reasons" (speculations, really) for certain aspects given by other players over those given by the developers only shows that you're one of the former.

You don't like the game. We get it. But there are't many posting to this thread expressing your level of dissatisfaction. Maybe that should tell you something...

You don't like the game. We get it. But you're the only one posting to this thread who has your level of dissatisfaction. Maybe that should tell you something...

Yep, it tells me that the game is old and those who wanted to complain had done it in several places in the previous years (Google it by yourself, if you don't trust my words).

The funny part is that I am a major figure in another game official forum. A team based FPS, where balance is essential and MatchMaking even more. People there are complaining about balance and MM since almost 2 years, but the company (that is losing players since then) is actually using the same tactics. "We have done X for (unbelievable) reason Y" "Well, it is not working, try to fix it!" "No, we refuse to fix it, for we made it for reason Y". "Reason Y? It can't be possible for A, B, C and D" They keep ignoring community and repeat ad nauseam the "X for reason Y" all again. They are still losing players, so, the problem is still there, no matter what.

The difference is that, on that game, community is angry. Here, I'm afraid, people are just in the acceptance phase.

It reminds me the comment by David Gaider on previous DA2, you know, something like "we know how to create a good game, if you don't like it, then it's your problem". Considering *I* am the customer who paid for the game, I don't think it is a wise declaration... Just imagine if we were speaking about cars.

If a software house creates a bad product, it must listen to complains. Internet is filled by them and they still ignore them. This makes me sad, for we're not going to see any improvements on RPG, it seems. And if people justify bad choices for they are not such a big deal, the next game would be even worse.

But, hey, if you're happy with how the things are going, good for you.

PS: we've written in 4 on this posts. 2 happy, 2 unhappy, by the way.

<snip>

PS: we've written in 4 on this posts. 2 happy, 2 unhappy, by the way.

Yes, I see there's been an avalanche of support from folk who are with you on this and hate the game. Your topic (title) obviously resonates with a lots of people here on the Nexus "Inquisition" forum. :wink: