Fallout 4 game updates issues

ezg1969

I have to rant and I cannot contact Bathesda!

So in Steam settings for Fallout 4 I have it set to only update on game launch and I launch via F4SE. My understanding is I should not get updates.

Yesterday I logged into Steam and Fo4 had (update paused) next to it. The last time I exited Steam and went offline that was not there. I decided to go ahead and update. And of course that screwed with some of my mods and I still don't have all that sorted out. After the update completed I went back into Steam offline mode.

Today I received a message stating Steam needed an update. Thinking it was actually Steam that needed the update I logged in. It couldn't be Fo4 right? Because I updated that yesterday. Yes it was Fallout 4 that needed another freaking update! It says update paused next to the game. I went into Steam discussion and posted something similar to this and now I am here.

I have had it with Bathesda. I will not purchase Fallout 76 and will not purchase the new Skyrim when it finally releases as long as Bathesda does game updates like Fo4.

My question is, is there a way to avoid the updates? Is there a legal way to play Fo4 on pc without going through Steam?

Thank you to anyone that responds.

I have to rant and I cannot contact Bathesda!

So in Steam settings for Fallout 4 I have it set to only update on game launch and I launch via F4SE. My understanding is I should not get updates.

Yesterday I logged into Steam and Fo4 had (update paused) next to it. The last time I exited Steam and went offline that was not there. I decided to go ahead and update. And of course that screwed with some of my mods and I still don't have all that sorted out. After the update completed I went back into Steam offline mode.

Today I received a message stating Steam needed an update. Thinking it was actually Steam that needed the update I logged in. It couldn't be Fo4 right? Because I updated that yesterday. Yes it was Fallout 4 that needed another freaking update! It says update paused next to the game. I went into Steam discussion and posted something similar to this and now I am here.

I have had it with Bathesda. I will not purchase Fallout 76 and will not purchase the new Skyrim when it finally releases as long as Bathesda does game updates like Fo4.

My question is, is there a way to avoid the updates? Is there a legal way to play Fo4 on pc without going through Steam?

Thank you to anyone that responds.

I am right there with you. These are pointless money grubbing. The only time they tried to bud fix was two updates ago, and that broke a few things. The best thing I could offer is make a backup copy of both the FO4 launchers and keep them safe. Next when you go to your FO4 folder in steam, right click the both apps and make them read-only. This will negate any patching. You will still updated but it wont destroy your folder or apps. And if they do, you have a backup copy, just drag into your folder and overwrite.

I have the steam pending, and I am still able to play. :smile: I hope this helps you out.

I also agree that I cant wait for 76 so Beth leaves us the hell alone. In fact I am debating on waiting until November to play again, or January when I get a new laptop. I have no interest in 76 because of these pointless "updates". I respect the modders that want to get paid for their work. I just dont like how Beth is doing it. And if you think about it, this game is not an online service, it is a transactional service. Offline games dont have a terms of service. Yet we are "required" by steam to update. And there isn't any kind of bug fixes.

Edited by AngelPhoenix69

Setting FO4 to update only on launch indeed works, and you can avoid updates indefinitely via that setting, if you use F4SE. No need to go offline. BUT you have to run steam (not FO4, just steam) at some point in your session before launching F4SE so that the various steam processes are running in the background. (If you go to task manager after launching and closing steam, you can see the processes I'm talking about.) In a recent thread on the subject (like, maybe a week ago), Pra even shared a script/bat file from which you can launch F4SE that'll warn you if Steam hasn't been run yet - a safeguard against running F4SE without having those steam processes running in the background, 'cuz sometimes you can just plain forget.

Setting FO4 to update only on launch indeed works, and you can avoid updates indefinitely via that setting, if you use F4SE. No need to go offline. BUT you have to run steam (not FO4, just steam) at some point in your session before launching F4SE so that the various steam processes are running in the background. (If you go to task manager after launching and closing steam, you can see the processes I'm talking about.) In a recent thread on the subject (like, maybe a week ago), Pra even shared a script/bat file from which you can launch F4SE that'll warn you if Steam hasn't been run yet - a safeguard against running F4SE without having those steam processes running in the background, 'cuz sometimes you can just plain forget.

Question, will update pending harm my game save? So far it hasn't. I am able to launch and play.

I can't imagine that running with an update pending would harm your save game. You're just locking your game down, so to speak, literally against unwanted intruders. Really the same thing I do with F4SE by following the protocol I described and I've never had a problem after playing tons of hours like that.

I can't imagine that running with an update pending would harm your save game. You're just locking your game down, so to speak, literally against unwanted intruders. Really the same thing I do with F4SE by following the protocol I described and I've never had a problem after playing tons of hours like that.

Cool, thank you for your reply :) Now I dont have to worry about it interfering.

Yep, what kevkiev said does work.

Also, do not make the mistake to open your game via icon on your desktop to tweak the game menu settings so you will update immediately and you won't be able to stop the process. It did happen to me before.

However, the only thing is broken with those updates is FO4SE and those mods depending on it, will not work anymore but still you can continue playing your game. Also, once FO4SE is updated, I do recommend to validate game files, clean master files again via fo4edit, reinstall fo4se and reinstall all those mods depending on the script extender. It is very annoying but doing what kevkiev said, will avoid all of these troubles.