2 FNV's

wfandrews

I have 2 versions of FNV on my hard drive. One is the Steam version and one the GOG version, the Steam version is uninstalled as I have been playing with the GOG version since it came out.

I recently was going to completely uninstall and reinstall FNV because I downloaded some mods which completely FUBARed my game. It was my fault as I installed these mods all together instead of one at a time to test them to see if they would be compatible with the mod build I wished to start my game with. They were three mesh mods and CASM and completely wrecked my game. I figured it would be best to start with a vanilla game as I did not know if just uninstalling these mods would remove all files that may have been installed by those mods.

I fired up Revo Uninstaller, which I use to completely remove a program and all it's files and found both versions of FNV on it. What surprised me was that it said the GOG version was 32-bit from GOG.com and the Steam version was 64-bit from Obsidian Entertainment.

As my machine is 64-bit it would seem like I would be better off playing with the 64-bit version. My question is would it make that much of a difference? Frankly I detest Steam as a site and the less they have to do with my games the better. Over the past several years I have come to believe that when there is a problem with a Steam game Steam is just as likely to be part of the problem as they are to be part of the solution.

However if there is going to be a significant difference in game-play I would bite the bullet and install the Steam version.

I need some advice on this from those more knowledgeable than I on this matter.

OK, will take your advice.

One more question, fnv4gb has been updated since I last used it; it is integrated in the GOG version. I am in the habit of putting an SE.exe shortcut on my desktop and launching my games thru that. Can I still launch with nvse and the 4gig patch will run or must I launch with the 4gig patch and nvse will run?

Is there a way to tell if the 4gb patch is running while you are in-game?

I understand your skepticism, and you could be right that there is not a 64-bit FNV. All I know is that when I opened Revo Uninstaller that is what it said by the Steam FNV. Actually you probably are right, but I have no explanation as to why it was labeled so by Revo.

While we're at it you couldn't tell me if there is a way to see if the 4-gig patch is running while you are in FNV?

Yes, it changes the original .exe; the first time I did it it corrupted the .exe so I could not even start the game. Luckily I had kept a copy of the original exe so I tried again and it worked that time. The console command was to verify that nvse was working with the 4gb patch.

"GetNVSEVersion" without the exclamation marks, if a number comes up then your nvse is loaded.

and if I remember right, NVSE auto loads the 4gb file, correct?

or is it the other way around?

either way if one can be verified then the other should be working also