Is it possible to move the "downloads" folder?

pinpat

I've changed my downloads folder and they indeed transferred over to the new folder and Vortex sees them but all of the mods have been duplicated in the mods list. I've restarted the app and the PC but they're still there.

I've got the same problem, all mods currently installed (active or inactive) was duplicated, while any uninstalled mods was not duplicated.

While I did report this with 0.16.0 the report haven't shown-up in the bug-tracker so it can look like the report was sucked into a vortex.

Tannin has posted a (possible) fix for duplicates here: https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/25.

Reading "The Problem" section on the mod page, it seems that something very similar happens when I have Vortex download and install a mod's update by clicking the "cloud" icon. I always get duplicated entries when I update via that method. If if it's not been reported/detailed yet in a feedback, the next time that I update a mod that way, I'll put together a step-by-step and submit it via the feedback.

To be honest, I would've sworn I already submitted a detailed feedback about duplicates being created when updating, but it's not listed in Your Issues on my Vortex Dashboard.

Tannin has posted a (possible) fix for duplicates here: https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/25.

The fix seems to have worked, since I've not got all the 3-week old duplicates but instead many mods installed 6 months ago.

Re-running the tool a second time did say two mods was detected but without any possible archive, but since the names of the mods wasn't displayed I'm not sure which mods this really is.

So I decided to remove the duplicates in the mods section. After removing a couple and then checking the game, everything was still installed and working so I removed the rest of them. Then, I thought to check where the mods were set to download and they were all gone. So the mods remained installed but they were no longer in the download folder. So if I uninstalled a mod it would disappear from the mods section.

• 3 months later...

Hey All! I'm upgrading from NMM/MO setup to Vortex for Skyrim (USLEEP). I have Skyrim in "D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim" Where on Gods Green Earth does Vortex go in the file tree. My Vortex keeps crashing when I try to do settings. Any suggestions to getting this to run? Is it possibly my older Laptop?

• 2 weeks later...

For the love of all that is holy, let this serve as a warning to others:

Do NOT rename your folders outside of Vortex, in a misbegotten attempt to reorganize file structures. Do it within the app.

You can't go back into Vortex and fix things. It pretty much borks your entire setup because of the file listeners and (presumably?) other trackers that are installed to keep things tidy.

Not blaming Vortex, I just thought I could change the settings like I've done with less complex products, but it... well... there is a lot going on behind the scenes, apparently, and your mod/plugins cache becomes very, very corrupted.

Edited by DuchessOfKvetch

Guest deleted34304850

that's not a vortex-only issue. if you set up any program and then go and mess with your folder structure and change that program's execution environment outside of that program, the next time it starts, it will throw a complete wobbly and complain like mad.

most programs need to be reinstalled if you do something like that which changes their execution environment. in fact, i say most, but off the top of my head, i cannot think of a single program that will allow you to muss up it's expected execution environment and simply carry on as if nothing happened.

For the love of all that is holy, let this serve as a warning to others:

Do NOT rename your folders outside of Vortex, in a misbegotten attempt to reorganize file structures. Do it within the app.

You can't go back into Vortex and fix things. It pretty much borks your entire setup because of the file listeners and (presumably?) other trackers that are installed to keep things tidy.

Not blaming Vortex, I just thought I could change the settings like I've done with less complex products, but it... well... there is a lot going on behind the scenes, apparently, and your mod/plugins cache becomes very, very corrupted.

I am not quite sure why you would want to rename the folders outside Vortex in an attempt to reorganise in the first place, though, as you say it is not a good idea as it will most certainly lead to Vortex losing tracks of mods and downloads. It is bound to screw things up.