Constant crashes during terraing editing

MrGrey231

Hello I decided to start a new world mod on a legit & clean version of New Vegas. For this I reinstalled the game, updated it and installed the geck. I started adding models to the world like buildings and roads, etc, and once I'm editing the ground itself (shaping the terrain with the editing tool) until it started crashing over and over again. Only while painting or shaping certain places of the terrain. Everything else works just fine. And no, I didn't do anything weird or edgy as I just created a plugin, saved it and started working. I'm not using new assets whatsoever.

-First tried installing Geck Powerup. Kept crashing.

-Installed NVAC. Kept crashing.

-Reinstalled everything. Guess what? still crashing

-Tried the same in another computer WITHOUT the game. Installed everything and still crashes on the same spots.

Also found a few warnings. Gonna post every one of them.

Got this one once I load up my world:

MASTERFILE: Reference attached to wrong cell for its location: REFR Form (01002AE5) to STAT form 'RoadChunk04' (000317B7) in cell 'Wilderness' (01000DBC) (0,0) in Worldspace '000westcoastwasteland1' (01000DBA)
Origin: 0063C899

This one right in the moment I click on the coordinates I'm currently working and experiencing the crashes. (no idea)

WATER: Adjusting water object (") height from %f to closeby water group at height : %f
Origin: 005367B7

And this one when I click on the terrain editing tool. (It's a missing landscape texture which I doubt is causing this)

Icon file "Textures\Landscape\Default.dds" not found.
Origin: 0048F252

In conclusion I'm pretty much f**ked up because It's been years doing this and I'm getting stuck on this just because the constant crashing.

If anyone can lend a hand here, I would be pretty much thankful.

Cheers

As you've discovered, that is one of the buggiest parts of the GECK. Have you seen the "Worldspaces" section of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article? It covers many of the most common problems in that process, though not those specific error messages. Be sure to read the warning about the 16MB size limit.

The "MASTERFILE: Reference attached to wrong cell for its location: REFR Form (01002AE5) to STAT form 'RoadChunk04' (000317B7)" error is indicating a REFR Form in the plugin with the 'mod index' of "01". In vanilla that would be the "Dead Money" DLC, but when creating a plugin it would be the second plugin loaded at the time. In any case, it is referencing a form not in your "active" plugin.

The "coordinate" error is displaying the text of a "printc" statement, but without the value for "%f". It's indicating you have an "object" that is supposed to be in "water" but is not at the correct "Z-Axis" height for the nearest body of water.

The landscape "terrain texture" files normally are found in the "Fallout - Textures2.BSA", but there isn't one named "Default.dds". Not something I have experience with, but I would guess you are supposed to pick some texture file as the "default" before attempting to use it. (Try "right-clicking" on the tool.)

-Dubious-

World editing gets you into some of the buggiest parts of the GECK.

When you create a world space (click on World -> World Spaces), as soon as you finish with the world space form, immediately save and exit the GECK, then restart the GECK and reload your mod. If you don't, as soon as you enter the terrain editor, the GECK will crash.

When you go into the terrain editor, make sure to get your entire landscape above a particular height, or you'll run into some bugs. The first bug is that if you leave everything at roughly the default height that the editor gives you, that will crash the GECK when you exit the terrain editor. The GECK crashes if any parts of the landscape are too low. What you can do to avoid this is to add about 6,000 or so to your height, which you can easily do by generating a random landscape with almost no randomness so it is basically flat. Then you can edit your landscape to your heart's content. However, if you plan on having trees on your landscape, you need the height of everything to be much higher, above 14,000 or so. If you don't raise your landscape this far, you run into another bug in the GECK where the LOD generator will end up with trees that look like they are floating in the sky.

Once you do this, you should be able to edit your landscape using the terrain editor and the terrain tools in the regular render window. There is another bug in the GECK where the render window won't work properly until there are some landscape objects for it to render.

The missing texture warning comes out of the GECK powerup. I just ignore it. I've never had a problem because of it.

I'm not sure why you are getting the other two warnings though. Did you create a heightmap for your new worldspace?