Easy way to determine mods dependant on SKSE?

headfullofdread

Just started modding SSE shortly after the last update so I'm unfamiliar with the process besides "update all mods dependent on skse". I'm using MO2 so I was hoping to just untic my skse & MO would complain. Already set skyrim only to update when I launch it, so good there.

I know the obvious ones like SkyUI & racemenu. Any easy way, rely on outdated ver warning in MO2, or do I just comb through all my mods respective pages? Keep a list?

It's not as bad as you think, There are two kinds of mods that need SSKE: those that just have scripts that call SKSE functions, and those that contain plugins that extend SKSE itself.

The first kind are by far the majority which is fortunate as they do not need to be updated when SKSE itself is updated - they go right on working. This includes mods such as SkyUI and ones that have MCM menus. They will say that they require SKSE and this is true but they do not require any particular version of SKSE. They do not need updating.

The second kind, the ones that do need to be updated every time SSE is updated, are easy to spot. They install dll files in your Data\SKSE\Plugins folder. Look in there and you will see what they are (if, indeed, you have any at all). It is those dll's that need updating because they hook directly into the code and they have to match internal memory locations precisely.

• 5 months later...

crap I started out in Skyrim LE in 2017 when all the updating was over. I upgraded to the special edition a month or two ago and this is the first time I have faced having to upgrade dll's. I use Mod Organizer 2, but because I have multiple instances of MO 2 I put all the SKSE stuff directly into the game folder, which by itself isn't really a problem, but it would now be more convenient to have them in MO 2. I guess I will have to sift through the plugins folder and find which dll is associated with which mod.

I don't know if it even a feasible idea (I'm running into this issue as well, it seems, which is why I haven't been able to update to the new Skyrim.exe/SKSE yet) but maybe a list post could be started and stickied to the top that identifies all SKSE based mods that might have to be updated when Bethesda screws us the game is updated purely for Creation Club content. Authors could add their mod to the list.

Do I seem a little bitter? Maybe. I just know I'm pretty much done with updates because I can go no further until I figure out what is going on with them. Probably the last time I'm going to play thru the game because they keep screwing with it for their paid content. Here's an idea. Try thinking about all the consumers you are ?!$$ing off in your greed-laden money grab and remember they are the people most likely to ignore the next game you put out because you can't even give them an "opt-out of stupid-@$$ed content" button. All I want to do is play a freaking game. End of rant.

• 8 months later...

I don't know if it even a feasible idea (I'm running into this issue as well, it seems, which is why I haven't been able to update to the new Skyrim.exe/SKSE yet) but maybe a list post could be started and stickied to the top that identifies all SKSE based mods that might have to be updated when Bethesda screws us the game is updated purely for Creation Club content. Authors could add their mod to the list.

Do I seem a little bitter? Maybe. I just know I'm pretty much done with updates because I can go no further until I figure out what is going on with them. Probably the last time I'm going to play thru the game because they keep screwing with it for their paid content. Here's an idea. Try thinking about all the consumers you are ?!$$ing off in your greed-laden money grab and remember they are the people most likely to ignore the next game you put out because you can't even give them an "opt-out of stupid-@$$ed content" button. All I want to do is play a freaking game. End of rant.

Backup the game exe file and replace the new one when it updates. There really isn't more to it, the updates don't bring any fixes anyways.

• 7 months later...

Hello fellow modders,

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. As a Player and a modder, I've taken SKSE for granted, and list it as a dependency on practically all my mods, but I get a lot of requests to port to Xbox and, having tried, my Xbox testers have reported only partial function, so I've given up.

COVID lockdown has inspired me to finish a large expansion of one of these mods. I'm even collaborating for the first time, and my fellow modder was careful to make her portion non-dependant on SKSE for maximum compatibility. Could I "clean" my portion of the work, and remove SKSE like a would a Master? Is this remotely possible? If it helps to know: marypele's work is all dungeons; my part has all the custom dialogue. I've not used any other Masters other than the Skyrim "Update" and, perhaps most importantly, I mod in Oldrym and port to SE, because my BETA testers and community are largely still there.

Thank you very much for your time.

You'll have to go through every script and script fragment and remove each reference to any SKSE code. If necessary, you might have to develop new code to achieve a similar result. Another alternative is to go through your scripts and add in a condition check for SKSE's presence, if it is there run the SKSE code otherwise run non-SKSE code. This would allow the mod to function within both environments.

I have no idea how much you may have relied on SKSE, thus I cannot be any more precise than that.