My personal trick for avoiding a CTD! Can I do this long term?

yudhi108

Well, I have 255 plugins, after my wyre bash etc. Also lots of textures etc and RealVisionENB (plus all it's recomended mods and textures).

If I try to load my save game, it CTD every single time. Unless I do this one thing...

Start a new game first!

If I start a new game (with live another life mod installed), I can choose the default name "prisoner" to start new char very quickly. From there, the underground prison or what ever it is, I can load my game and it doesn't crash.

I'm worried that this might stop working at some point, but I've got about 30 hours of playtime into this build and this trick still works for me to avoid CTD.

Anyone heard of this before, or can give me more info on why it's happening? If not, maybe this post will help someone else from CTD and thinking their SETUP is broken.

Only thing I can think of is that by being at the absolute limit, the game is having issues loading the plugins along with the save file (for your particular system). By creating a new game, you get the plugins loaded ahead of time. Thus the game only needs to load in the save file data. However, there can be some things that stick around from the "new game" which could affect your actual game. Not likely, if all you are doing is exiting char gen, waiting for all MCM menus (if any) to load then loading the save game. But the possibility is still there.

You may want to try exiting to the main menu after starting a new game to see if you can load your save that way.

I had to do this too for years. Interestingly, when I migrated my install from MO1 to Vortex, I no longer had to do it, even on late-game saves that would normally crash at first.

I think it might have something to do with either better conflict resolution tools in Vortex, or the lack of virtualization giving better performance.

Only thing I can think of is that by being at the absolute limit, the game is having issues loading the plugins along with the save file (for your particular system). By creating a new game, you get the plugins loaded ahead of time. Thus the game only needs to load in the save file data. However, there can be some things that stick around from the "new game" which could affect your actual game. Not likely, if all you are doing is exiting char gen, waiting for all MCM menus (if any) to load then loading the save game. But the possibility is still there.

You may want to try exiting to the main menu after starting a new game to see if you can load your save that way.

Makes sense about the plugins.

I did try exiting to main menu. Doesn't work. Still CTD if I dont new game first. However, in the 30+ hours I played this time, not one CTD while playing, despite the startup CTD issue which I have solved for myself by starting new game first.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to do this too for years. Interestingly, when I migrated my install from MO1 to Vortex, I no longer had to do it, even on late-game saves that would normally crash at first.

I think it might have something to do with either better conflict resolution tools in Vortex, or the lack of virtualization giving better performance.

The thing is I've gotten so good at NMM. The main thing I wonder about vortex is how hard it is to back up all the game and mod files once all mods are installed etc. With my NMM installs, I've got it wired where NMM (and Skyrim ofc) installs everything. So, I just back up all those files, and once a year or so I put them from my HDD to my SSD and play Skyrim. Even when I got a new PC I was able to restore my complete Skyrim setup and mods and everything just by copying and pasting my hard files. IDK how hard/effective it is to do that on Vortex.