What Textures Should I Use?

Deleted45140967User

Hey all!

I love having really good graphics in Skyrim! On my previous gaming laptop I had 100 mods for the graphics alone (all 2k or 4k) and in total had 176 mods with 120 scripts running (this is oldrim btw). After six months my graphics card wore out, which in turn caused the bios to die :sad:. I recently got a new gaming laptop, and because I use it for work as well, I can't have this one die on me. With that being said, I don't really enjoy using the original textures either. So far I've put on hardly any graphics mods with no enb at all. My favorite textures to use were aMidianborn, and I really liked vividian enb. On my old laptop I also had 3 different mods that all together added 300+ npcs to the towns and cities, along with 3 different tree mods... I really went overkill.

Strangely enough my laptop never showed any signs of it being too much (but honestly I knew I was pushing the limit). It hardly ever lagged, and the screen was always clear (no lines, or anything weird with the colors.) Because my new one is almost the same exact model I don't think I can trust it to tell me when something is too much for it.

What do you guys think? Think it would be ok to use 1k? Should I only mod things like landscape, and not tiny details? Or should I just put up with oldrim's original graphics?

My new gaming laptop is slightly better than my old one, here are my specs:

- Windows 10, 64 bit plus x64 bit processor

-1080p full HD

- Intel Core i5 - 7200U 2.5GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz

- Nvidia GeForce GTX 950M with 2 GB dedicated VRAM

- 8 GB DDR4 Memory

-128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD (I use a separate external TB for all my gaming stuff, including Skyrim)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

- Faded

Oh yes! I'm sure without these tiny and minor graphical fixes from this patch (a total of incredible 156 files) the HD DLC would break your game.

Or do you have any inside knowledge why the patch is "required"? Because when you say "required" this means without it the HD DLC will not work. Right? Strange that bethesda releases a DLC that can only be used in combination with a community patch.

And yes if I have the choice between the unoptimized vanilla textures with low resolution and the unoptimized vanilla textures with a higher resolution I would always prefer the latter.

Please just stop talking about things and even give advices when you don't really know what you are talking about. This is anything but helpful.

Edited by Novem99

Closing Argument: 14,000 files is your selling point. This is 14,000 files of non optimized 2k textures. Everyone knows to go get the better optimized textures mods to come in and overwrite as much of that mess as possibly, and what your left with is 5000 or so files that the better mods did not overwrite from the Hi Res DLC, these 5000 files can easily stay at vanilla level. I don't need non optimized 2k spigot, or cobwebs or skeletal remains. There is a reason why the better mods didn't touch all 14,000 files, Its not needed. Size and Quantity are not always the best route.

Furthermore, your real helpful when you come in and deflect good advice and refrain from offering any advice. OP says they want a good looking skyrim but they also want to play a little on the safe side since they cooked last laptop. Your advice is to go with non optimized 2k textures on everything..

If the the OP is still paying any attention to this, I just got around to trying a new texture mod called Rustic Clothing that is very special and has a wonderfully looking 1k version. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69784

And even your closing argument is full of mistakes and shows that you probably never took a closer look to the HD DLC.

A great part of the HD DLC isn't even 2k. A lot of these textures are 1k versions of the original 512x512 textures. You always say these are so horribly unoptimized. Are you able to explain what exactly isn't opimized about them? Or are you just parroting something you read in the internet?

And what your left is not only 5000 or so files. I am using a personalized texture pack containing ALL of the great and popular texture mods. There's not one famous pack I didn't try and check. And still there are more than 10.000!!! files that have no better substitute here on Nexus.

I know I did not offer a mod list for the OP. I generally don't do this because I don't like to do the work for others. But your device to totally get rid of the HD DLC isn't a good advice. It is a bad advice reasoned with a lot of misassumptions. Misassumptions like everything in the HD DLC is a non optimized 2k texture. Neither are all of these 2k nor are all of them unoptimized.

Just for clarification: is the unofficial patch necessary or will the HD DLC work without it? Couldn't find anything about this outstanding point in your closing argument. But I think it's pretty strange that you insist on disabling the HD DLC instead of pointing out on this here: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9080/?

Everyone knows to go get the better optimized textures mods to come in and overwrite as much of that mess as possibly

And even more people know to better use these parts of that mess that cannot be overwritten since there's nothing out there for it.

Edited by Novem99