Skyrim SE random CTD

doinen

This is my first time posting a problem because I can't find the answer anywhere. I will post my modlist below.

So, some days ago my modded Skyrim SE started to randomly crash to desktop. At first maybe only 2-3 times during an evening. And more and more so now maybe even after 30 sec. I have not made any changes or modifications during this time. It can happen both inside and outside. The game is allways running smoothly until it crashes. There is absolutely no pattern to the crashes as I can see. Often I am just running around. I have LOOTed and SSEdited so there are no more warnings. SKSE64 is updated.

Now here is the weird thing - Today I decided to start the game using the original skyrim shortcut on my desktop from steam and not SKSE64 and it worked. The game runs smoothly, I think all the mods are working and it's not crashing anymore. Only two issues - the icons in my inventory are all the same (boxes) so I guess my inventory mod is not working that well. Also, whenever I am looting a body or barrel or anything the game freezes for about two seconds before I can see the contents.

So here is my modlist fom NNM. I apologize in advance if I am leaving important stuff out.

GameMode=SkyrimSE

Skyrim.esm=1

Update.esm=1

Dawnguard.esm=1

HearthFires.esm=1

Dragonborn.esm=1

Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm=1

Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp=1

MajesticMountains_Landscape.esm=1

SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp=1

SkyUI_SE.esp=1

MajesticMountains_Moss.esp=1

Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp=1

Veydosebrom - Grasses and Groundcover.esp=1

Landscape Fixes For Grass Mods.esp=1

EnhancedLightsandFX.esp=1

dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp=1

dD-Reduced Splatter Size.esp=1

dD-Reduced Wound Size.esp=1

DeadlySpellImpacts.esp=1

Book Covers Skyrim.esp=1

Cutting Room Floor.esp=1

MajesticMountains.esp=1

Footprints.esp=1

FNIS.esp=1

SGEyebrows.esp=1

CLARALUX SSE.esp=1

SunDaytimeNorth_MM_default.esp=1

Snazzy Furniture and Clutter Overhaul.esp=0

ImprovedRoads.esp=1

SkyrimIsWindy.esp=1

Skyrim Immersive Creatures Special Edition.esp=1

Obsidian Weathers.esp=1

Dawnstar Overhaul.esp=1

SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esp=1

JKs Whiterun.esp=1

JK's Riverwood.esp=1

Skyrim Better Roads and Bridges - All In One - Merged.esp=1

LIAT - NPCs.esp=1

HoldBorderBanners.esp=1

Map Markers Complete.esp=1

Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim.esp=1

DiverseDragonsCollectionSE.esp=1

BlendedRoads.esp=1

RUSTIC SOULGEMS - Sorted.esp=1

Ars Metallica.esp=1

Bijin Wives.esp=1

Bijin NPCs.esp=1

Chesko_WearableLantern.esp=1

GQJ_DG_vampireamuletfix.esp=1

KS Hairdo's.esp=1

CC'sEnhancedOreVeinsSSE-HearthfirePatch.esp=1

DIVERSE SKYRIM.esp=1

SparklesSE.esp=1

Skyrim Sizes.esp=1

lm_astronach.esp=1

Move it Dammit.esp=1

Skyrim Particle Patch for ENB - Flame Atronach Fix.esp=1

WeaponsOf3E_SSE.esp=1

SmokeRemover2.esp=1

RGMsAlchemistsCompendium.esp=1

EBT - IC PATCH.esp=1

Jordis Sword-maiden.esp=1

DanarielStormbow.esp=1

VioLens SE.esp=1

Serana.esp=0

AelaTheHuntress.esp=1

SimpleOutfitManager.esp=1

RaceMenu.esp=1

XPMSE.esp=1

RaceMenuPlugin.esp=1

Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp=1

Open Cities Skyrim.esp=1

Immersive Citizens - OCS patch.esp=1

RealisticWaterTwo.esp=1

RealisticWaterTwo - Open Cities.esp=1

And here are my specs -

Geforce GTX 1060 6gb

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)

BIOS: 3806 (type: UEFI)

Processor: Intel® Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 16312MB RAM

Page File: 5964MB used, 26730MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

I am running it on ULTRA but I had the same problem running it on LOW.

Edited by doinen

Theres no obvious issues with your load order or mods. I would recommend making a bash patch. Plenty of guides around just Google it.

I'm not sure about creating and using a bash patch on an existing save though. Could mess up your save (although your save sounds kinda messed up anyway)

Icons in the Inventory Issue: this issue is very likely caused by not running SKSE64 - as SkyUi Requires SKSE64 to function properly. so not launching the game via SKSE means SkyUi will not work properly, thus resulting in said blank boxes (As SkyUi Affects every single Inventory Menu)

Freezing in the Inventory: this is very likely Caused by Save Bloat, however their is potential that the same issue as Above could be Applicable here as well.

as for the crashes, this is most probably script related based on the fact you have been running the game for a while, which in turn means the saved games will be bigger, and scripts have a very heavy presence on Saved Games which is very likely the reason for CTDs in long term Saved Games (As in Issues that Arise much Later in the Games Life span Regarding Saved Games, simply put, Issues that Arise when you have Several Hours in your Current Active Playthrough). Skyrim's Stability Decreases Over Time, making it more prone to crashing/Freezing/Other Unwanted Issues, having a lot of active scripts or constant firing scripts can greatly speed up this inevitable fate.

so to help determine if this is Script Related, how big are your Saved Games in Comparison to Much Older Saved Games (Saved Games that were created on a New Game if still present)

Also Note: Some Mods Require Dirty Edits to Function, and if the Author of Said mods did not Notify the LOOT Team, then LOOT will not notify you, so hopefully for your sake you read all the important information for all mods you cleaned before cleaning them.

So Potential Cause for Said CTD Issues:

Save Bloat: Caused by Heavily Scripted Setup or Badly Made Scripted Mods (as in mods that have their scripts firing constantly) - this issue, is very prone to making the game CTD, Freeze, Crash, and also cause ILS (Infinite Load Screen Issue)

i am going to guess based on the information given, the cause for your CTDs are very likely Save Bloat.

if the Load Order is 100% and their are Absolutely No Issues found in xEdit, then the only other possible cause would be Script Related which would be Save Bloat. or 3rd party Software interfering with Skyrim. (Overlays, Antivirus, pretty much any active Process that is running whilst you are Playing Skyrim)

CTD and Freezing has a very high chance of being Caused by Save Bloat, However these 2 Issues can also be Caused by Resource Intensive Processes or Simply Many Processes running all At Once whilst you are Playing Skyrim.

And Finally, Hardware Related Issues Such as: Overheating, Invalid Resources, or Unstable Hardware. will Definitely Cause CTDs, Freezing, Crashing, BSODs, and System Crashes, Freezing, Shutdown

Note: the last part of this reply regarding Hardware is mainly General Information, not necessarily relating to your current issues at hand, however it is still relevant and could very well be Applicable and thus the cause of the issues at hand assuming all other information given is not the cause.

Thanks Pyrostorm =) I got it to work yesterday! Got a tip from someone on reddit and want to share it here if someone else need it.

https://old.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/ag4wm7/psa_the_reference_handle_cap_or_diagnosing_one_of/

Run the script in this thread. I see a couple of ref heavy mods in your list.

I didn't run the script because it looked too advanced for me. But reading on the page about there being a reference cap in the game and also what you said about saves becoming more bloated as you progress through the game, I figured that I should try to delete a mod and see if there was a difference. So I deleted Dawnstar Overhaul because it seems big and I didn't really like it, anyway. After that I played all evening without a single ctd =D

welcome :smile:

as a bit of additional information, be wary about adding or removing mods in an active playthrough this in itself can cause all sorts of issues, which may not be immediately present. this doubly applies to scripted mods which will destroy the saved game if removed in an active playthrough guranteed.

its the old fix 1 problem, get many more situation. so hopefully this doesn't apply to you, with regards to removing said mod, but it is a very possible.

• 7 months later...