Mod requires older version of nifskope to use? Armor not appearing in GECK

wildgravity

Sorry to post again. :pinch: thank you for all the help you've provided, its been illuminating.

so I have, (!!For the very first time ever!!) just exported my first .nif (an armor mashup i thought was hopeless and was going to release as a modders resource) from blender, something I thought to be well beyond my skills. Im mega excited about it.

I am following this tutorial https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Creating_an_armour_for_Fallout._Part_2

in addition to this tutorial http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Creating_armor_mashups_for_fallout with great success and am in the final stretch of rigging this badboy up for use in game.

However, my progress came to a screeching halt when I came to the part where I needed to edit TSpaceFlag from 240 to 16 in my NiTriShape, as this setting change is from a legacy version of nifskope from 2010, specifically Nifskope 1.0.22, it no longer exists in modern nifskope.

My armor doesn't appear in geck, and I think its because I havent keyed in the right settings in nifskope.

I cant find a compiled version of the legacy nifskope version I need, although I can find the source code on GitHub, I was curious if there was a way to circumvent this issue.

Point blank, how do i get my armor to appear in the geck and in game?
Would be delighted to see the tutorials that helped you through this process.

Thank you so much for your help!

Edited by wildgravity

It's been a long time since I went through any tutorials. I can't remember which ones I looked at.

When exporting armor or clothing from Blender, start with the default settings for Fallout 3 (press Restore Default Settings For Selected Game on the lower left of the export settings if you have changed them). Click on Creature under Collision Options (top middle), then make sure Use BSFadeNodeRoot is unselected on the right.

Make sure that you have selected all in Blender before exporting as it will only export what you have selected.

Once your armor/clothing has been exported, go into Nifskope, and for each part, select BSShaderPPLightingProperty. Scroll down to BSShaderType and if it is armor, set it to SHADER_DEFAULT. If it is a human body part (i.e. human skin visible under the armor) set it to SHADER_SKIN. Double click on BSShaderFlags under that (click on the flags themselves), then click on the down arrow and you should be able to scroll down and check each flag with a check box individually. Blender usually sets most of the flags correctly. You need to check SF_Skinned at the top and SF_ShadowMap down at the bottom if this is a piece of armor. If it is human visible skin, check SF_Skinned and SF_Facegen instead.

Save your armor/clothing in NifSkope and now it should be visible in the GECK and should work in-game.

I'm using NifSkope 1.1.3.

Version 1.0.22 of NifSkope is bundled in the Blender v2.49b (freeware) package. NifSkope v1.3.3 (revision36efdd) (freeware) is also linked there. Various "fully FNV compatible" versions of tools are linked under "Programs and Tools" section of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article.

-Dubious-

Thank you both so much! I'm sorry it took me a day to get back to you. I'm going to look at all of what you've suggested, apply it, and let you know what my results are.

It's been a long time since I went through any tutorials. I can't remember which ones I looked at.

When exporting armor or clothing from Blender, start with the default settings for Fallout 3 (press Restore Default Settings For Selected Game on the lower left of the export settings if you have changed them). Click on Creature under Collision Options (top middle), then make sure Use BSFadeNodeRoot is unselected on the right.

Make sure that you have selected all in Blender before exporting as it will only export what you have selected.

Once your armor/clothing has been exported, go into Nifskope, and for each part, select BSShaderPPLightingProperty. Scroll down to BSShaderType and if it is armor, set it to SHADER_DEFAULT. If it is a human body part (i.e. human skin visible under the armor) set it to SHADER_SKIN. Double click on BSShaderFlags under that (click on the flags themselves), then click on the down arrow and you should be able to scroll down and check each flag with a check box individually. Blender usually sets most of the flags correctly. You need to check SF_Skinned at the top and SF_ShadowMap down at the bottom if this is a piece of armor. If it is human visible skin, check SF_Skinned and SF_Facegen instead.

Save your armor/clothing in NifSkope and now it should be visible in the GECK and should work in-game.

I'm using NifSkope 1.1.3.

when I try your method, i cant export and I get this error "ValueError: value out of range (71558)" What does this error mean, and how do I fix it?

Okay heres my update. I re-exported the armor using my old settings and the vanilla skeleton rather then the skeleton i had been using (didnt realize i was using a diff skeleton). Now it appears in GECK! But when I put my armor on a character, it does not appear on any character. Thats the point Im up too now.

i

Did you set the shader flags in NifSkope?

tried too, but it said "skyrim shaders" and was greyed out, I couldnt change it? Currently my approach is downloading the legacy edition of nifskope as posted by dubiousintent. Unless im looking for it in the wrong place. I could be. rendering this aspect of nifskope is entirely new to me.