⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Skyrim crash on exit with dawnguard dlc active

JackWall

Hello,

I have a very tedious problem. When i activate the Dawnguard DLC on data files, Skyrim crashes everytime I exit the game. If I deactivate the plugin, the game quits correctly.

The game runs correctly during gameplay too (with and without Dawnguard), but as I said, when I end my gaming session and I quit the game, Skyrim crashes with a typicall ''no response'' error message, application hung-up if Dawnguard was active.

I have tried to deactivate all the mods but leaving Dawnguard active. Didn't work. The only thing that works, as I said, is deactivating the DLC.

Here is my data files list, just in case there's a conflict I'm not aware of, but I don't think there's any because of the above stated:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Dawnguard.esm

Lydia mod made by me.esp

DeadlySpellImpacts.esp

Headtracking.esp

SoS - The Wilds.esp

Dynavision.esp

As I said, I have tried to deactivate all of them and it didn't work. The only thing that works is deactivating the Dawnguard DLC. At first I thought it was caused by a configuration file (something simillar happened in the past) but then I discovered that was in fact the Dawnguard DLC. Now, the question is, why? Why does Skyrim crash with a hang-up error message everytime I exit the game with the Dawnguard DLC active?

Thanks in advance for any tip I can get, I would really appreciate the help.

Edited by JackWall

The only thing I can think of is mybe SOS

but that's moe to do with the fact that its pretty much been removed by the author and the community at large seems to think that it causes problems...While some ppl say it runs fine.

Since your modlist isnt that extensive have you tried to look and see if Dynovision states on its page that it works with Dawnguard

Headtracking has versions that I beleive require SKSE

-is SKSE up to date?

What other mods are you using that are operating behind the scenes?

-How taxed is your system?

-What FPS are you getting?

-the lowest FPS that is considered stable is 45

-So if your game is heavily taxed you certainly cant expect to quite to main menu

-ENB? very taxing

I had this happen all the time in Fo3 usually I was running too many texture mods. your system is just outta memory and thats what happens.

Clean up your game folder and run a system defrag

you can use FRAPS to check your FPS

-thnik about your graphic settings

Edited by gamefever

The only thing I can think of is mybe SOS

but that's moe to do with the fact that its pretty much been removed by the author and the community at large seems to think that it causes problems...While some ppl say it runs fine.

Since your modlist isnt that extensive have you tried to look and see if Dynovision states on its page that it works with Dawnguard

Headtracking has versions that I beleive require SKSE

-is SKSE up to date?

What other mods are you using that are operating behind the scenes?

-How taxed is your system?

-What FPS are you getting?

-the lowest FPS that is considered stable is 45

-So if your game is heavily taxed you certainly cant expect to quite to main menu

-ENB? very taxing

I had this happen all the time in Fo3 usually I was running too many texture mods. your system is just outta memory and thats what happens.

Clean up your game folder and run a system defrag

you can use FRAPS to check your FPS

-thnik about your graphic settings

Thanks for all those advices. The game runs smoth as I said before, I use fraps to check it and most of the times is above those 45 fps and even higher. The system doesn't run out of memory either, since I have 4GB DDR3 and Skyrim doesn't take that much never (it only uses 1gb or so top).

No enb, no heavy texture mods, skse is up to date (since it's needed to play with the latest version of the game, Dawnguard, comunnity level uncapper and headtracking)

Other mods that I use are armor replacers for cbbe, cbbe body, texture replacers for male and female and non of them have ever affected performance. I have tried to remove all the body meshes too, including walking animations. Non of the plugins I use seems to affect Dawnguard, because as I said, the crash only happens when Dawnguard is active. If I remove Dawnguard, the crash gets fixed :) If I remove all the mods but leaving Dawnguard activated, (so, only playing with the DLC, Skyrim.esm and update.esm, nothing more), the game crash too when I quit it. I already said this in the 1st post.

I'm sure there's something wrong in my game but I just wanted to find a way to patch it up instead of reinstalling the entire game and all the mods, that would be a pain in the ass.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I downloaded Dawnguard DLC and Hearthfire as I did with Skyrim and I copy/pasted their .esm files to data folder and they appeared at NMM but when I activate them at NMM and opened data files in Skyrim and activate them there too, game doesn't open. After Bethesta logo appeares game crashes. Y.Y When I copy/pasted Dawnguard and Hearthfire I realized that I haven't had update.esm in NMM too, so copy/pasted it there too. I think I did everything right but I have no idea how to do these stuff. I learned that I needed to do copy/paste those from internet too... I deactivated all of the mods from Skyrim's Data Files and tried opening game again. Doesn't work,

After I deactived mods I tried only activating Dawnguard (thinking maybe Hearthfire is broken) :doesn't work.

I did same with Hearthfire: Doesn't work.

I thought maybe I needed to copy/paste bsa's of Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Update so I copy/pasted them at Data Fİles where mods are placed ... ^^; it did nothing. So I removed them.

Btw the filesin NMM was in order:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Dawnguard.esm

Hearthfire.esm

I had to delete them from Data Files so they wouldn't be at NMM. After I did deactived them and removed ( I haven't deleted Update.esm that time ) I tried opening game but it crashed again so I removed Update.esm too. Then it worked. (btw I activated the mods again...)

Is there a problem with my game itself? Like is it not tuned to add ons from outside or something? But then it wouldn't let me dawnload mods as well..? Maybe I need to look at the place I dawnloaded the game from. =.= *sigh*

I really don't want to redownload the game. I hope there is a solution.

You should leave the BSA's in the DATA foulder,

Consider getting the Unoficail Patch here

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19

there are also patches for DawnGuard and Hearthfire beyond that we have to look at load orders, consider the amount of Texture files you use and esspecailly scripted mods.