SSE, SKSE64 & Vortex: Input Borked?

Firefrorefiddle

So up until this morning I had SSE running with about 50 mods on Vortex, everything was fine. But I had a couple mods installed that work better with SkyUI. So I spent this afternoon installing SKSE64, SkyUI, & the patch that lets SkyUI work with CC Survival mode, which I have. SkyUI & the patch seem to be fine, as far as I can tell.

I installed SKSE64 manually, as it said in the readme. I had done this for regular Skyrim back in the day so I didn't anticipate too many problems. Getting the Vortex tool set up properly so I can start through Vortex & making it primary went fine.

But whenever I start the game- whether from the SKSE64 loader file, or through the Vortex tool- the game starts, the music starts, I get the loading animation and the screen with the menu that starts with "Continue"- but the mouse doesn't work, and the only keyboard command that does anything is Ctrl-Alt-Del. (Which gets me to Task Manager just fine and I can shut the window from there.) If I open without the SKSE64 loader by using the Vortex button that ignores it, I get the same thing only the mouse and keyboard do work, so I click continue, get into the game, and immediately get the SkyUI Error 1 message.

I'm not at my computer atm, on my way to a family thing. But if I didn't get this typed up and posted I would spend the whole time frustrated. When I get home in a couple hours I can look up and post the log files and things. But I'm hoping maybe this is a common issue with a simple fix?

Nope. Okay, it worked once, yesterday, for one load. Then I got out of the game to install a couple more mods, went back in... and it hasn't worked since. The weird part is that LOOT recognizes it and says it's up to date, but I still get nothing with the getskseversion command in the console. I have tried just putting the data files in the data folder, I have tried doing the archiving them and putting them in vortex as a mod, I have tried restarting the computer, I am running as administrator, I have triplechecked every time I uninstall and reinstall SKSE64 that I've removed all the previous versions of the files and replaced them entirely. I have the vortex tool pointing at the correct file as shown by the fact that the game starts. (Just for fun I tried using the "run in shell" option for the vortex tool, still no dice, turned that off again). I have checked all my mods and run SSEdit and cleaned them all and deleted a few that were troublesome. All my plugins are updated and correct. And still, LOOT recognizes SKSE64 and says it's up to date, and when I go into the game and try the getskseversion command... nothing. And if I start a new game (I got so frustrated I deleted my saved games, not really a loss, wanted to try something new anyway) I still get SkyUI Error Code 1.

Thoughts?

ETA: I am one of two users on this computer, but I have the password to run as administrator, if that's helpful.

ETA2: And now when I try to start a new game, I get an infinite loading screen? I used to be able to start up a new game no problem (and then get the SkyUI Error Code 1 as soon as I finished setting up a character). Now it doesn't go that far?

Edited by Firefrorefiddle

It would help to know what mods you were using

Did you set up SKSE64 in the dashboard to run when you start SSE?

If SKSE64 is in your Dashboard, click on the 3 vertical dots and select MAKE PRIMARY
OK, I see you did that

Also, LOOT is BUILT IN to Vortex.

If your Mouse isn't working at the Main Menu, do you have a Controller Plugged in?
Because Bethesda games have a tendency to default to the controller

Yes, I made it primary and I always run it from the SKSE button anyway.

Here's the mod list from LOOT:

0 0 Skyrim.esm
1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Dawnguard.esm
3 3 HearthFires.esm
4 4 Dragonborn.esm
254 FE 0 ccqdrsse001-survivalmode.esl
5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
6 6 LegacyoftheDragonborn.esm
7 7 SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
8 8 DLCIntegration.esp
9 9 Immersive Sounds - Compendium.esp
10 a Cutting Room Floor.esp
11 b Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
254 FE 1 DBM_CRF_Patch.esp
254 FE 2 DBM_ISC_Patch.esp
12 c Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
13 d Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
14 e Joy of Perspective.esp
254 FE 3 Qw_ISC_CRF Patch.esp
15 f SkyUI_SE.esp
16 10 AFT_NoFriendlySpellDamage.esp
17 11 AMatterOfTime.esp
18 12 AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
19 13 Animallica.esp
20 14 AutoHideAmmo.esp
21 15 BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp
22 16 Celtic Music in Skyrim - Combat.esp
23 17 Celtic_Music_In_Skyrim_SE.esp
24 18 Celtic_Music_In_Skyrim_SE_Dungeon.esp
25 19 skyBirds_SSE.esp
26 1a Point The Way.esp
27 1b Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
28 1c Holidays.esp
29 1d Immersive Encounters.esp
30 1e Immersive Patrols II.esp
31 1f Immersive Weapons.esp
254 FE 4 DBM_IW_Patch.esp
32 20 RDO - AFT v1.66 Patch.esp
254 FE 5 DBM_IA_Patch.esp
33 21 DiverseDragonsCollectionSE.esp
34 22 Dr_Bandolier.esp
35 23 The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
36 24 Gildergreen Regrown.esp
37 25 HearthfireMultiKid.esp
38 26 HearthfireMultiKid_LastName.esp
39 27 HireServants.esp
40 28 IcePenguinWorldMap.esp
41 29 JoP - Immersive Armors Patch.esp
42 2a Jop - LegacyOfDragonborn.esp
43 2b KhajiitsStealToo.esp
254 FE 6 Qw_BarenziahQuestMarkers_USSEP Patch.esp
44 2c RichMerchantsSkyrim_x2.esp
45 2d UnreadBooksGlow.esp
46 2e RDO - CRF + USSEP Patch.esp
47 2f Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
48 30 Alternate Start -- New Beginnings.esp
49 31 DBM_RelicHunter.esp

So to clarify now the only issue I have is that when I try to start a new game, it confirms, the menu goes away, the music keeps playing... and nothing happens. I just sit there on the load screen forever. I've found a page with suggestions for that but they're all from Oldrim: https://appuals.com/fix-skyrim-infinite-loading-screen/

My computer has an Intel i7 2.6 Ghz processor and 16 gb RAM. I'm running Windows 10.