Disc vs Steam vs GOG

HaleophantGreen

Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone has any personal experience playing and modding Morrowind on disc, Steam, and/or GOG, and if there's any notable difference between how the three versions perform.

I've been using the same disc I've had for the GOTY version for the last 12 years or so. It runs fine, though I do run into occasional crashes both while playing and while using the construction set.

To be sure, that's to be expected, even when programs like the 4GB patch, EXE optimizer, and others are installed. But, I'm curious if the Steam or GOG versions have a better track record with stability compared to the game on disc.

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit vague or if this topic has been addressed to death already. I tried looking into the topic online, and only got a smattering of mixed responses, mostly from several years ago, and I didn't see the topic in these forums, though I could have easily missed such a thread.

Thanks!

The GOG versions tend to work better in most instances due to them being DRM free and also because they take the time to make it compatible with Windows 10. However, steam versions are usually just fine as well long as you are following proper procedures when modding. Disc versions would be last resort since none of the patches or workarounds are present on the physical media.

Ah, that sounds good. I bought Arena and Daggerfall from GOG a while back, and those versions were significantly more stable than any I'd played before. Glad to see the same applies for Morrowind.

You don't have to buy Arena or Daggerfall as both games are free and have been free since I dunno when.

I have the retail, Steam versions of both Morrowind, Oblivion and I haven't noticed anything. Except for using OBSE (retail version) for Oblivion might need to search for information of how to make it work.

Also, you don't need to use the 4 Gb Patch for Morrowind anymore since MCP (scroll down to the bottom) now automatically use the 4 Gb Patch.