Username change

Woltane

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

I want to change this username to something completely different.

but I don't want to close this account since I uploaded couple mods that have been successful. :sad:

What should I do?

We generally don't do "name changes". Close this account and open a new one, or keep the one you created.

For more information, please read this topic from the beginning, (or any one of the dozens of similar ones in this forum...)

• 11 months later...

Of course, but things like that can be adjusted, right? I understand that this is not high on the priority list, but still, I never really get why a simple thing as changing a username is made so difficult sometimes.

Edited by Revolvist

• 2 weeks later...

I was a member of another forum once that had this very issue and they solved it by making the "displayed name" and "account name" different fields. That way all the important / background / behind the scenes stuff goes attached to account name and only the posts / comments show the displayed name. This way ppl could change their "nicks" 3 times a day and nothing was really changed.

Anyway, i do not think i am bringing anything new here so if you haven't done that already is because the site might not support it.

I was a member of another forum once that had this very issue and they solved it by making the "displayed name" and "account name" different fields. That way all the important / background / behind the scenes stuff goes attached to account name and only the posts / comments show the displayed name. This way ppl could change their "nicks" 3 times a day and nothing was really changed.

Anyway, i do not think i am bringing anything new here so if you haven't done that already is because the site might not support it.

I've seen that implementation as well. Thing is, since they're in the middle of a site redesign an all, it might be a sweet idea to give us an option to change our nicks.

The fact that back-end stuff depends on a nickname is pretty silly though. I know that is probably the reason why changing one's nickname is made so difficult on many sites. Still, if I remember my database classes correctly, it shouldn't be that hard to change the key (which is presumably the nickname now) to an ID number based on, say, time of registration.

I might just be talking out of my ass, though.