SKSE and Linux...

Oops. I hadn't realized it was an old thread. I saw Jan 12, 2020, and assumed it was a couple of day ago. Not yet used to the new year. Thanks for not beating me up about that.

For what it's worth, and it may not be worth much at this point, the active icon shows up for me with this install.

I thought maybe the problem with the SKSE load was that the skse.ini file maybe didn't get created with a RUNTIMENAME pointing to TESV.exe due to being installed in the wrong directory initially. However, making that change didn't fix the problem. And I couldn't find logs saying why it's crashing to desktop on startup.

I've had no issues with audio under linux wth oldrim. In fact, the reason I downloaded skyrim was due to my brother saying it'd be a great way to test my new surround sound system, which it was.

I'll have to look into MO under Lutrix (I saw a reference to Lutrix when I looked up what proton was but didn't pursue it.).

I tried using https://openmw.org/en/ a few years back under linux but it wasn't quite usable at the time.

I've been running linux exclusively since 2000 for work/leisure, and I've gotten to the point that if I have to boot into Windows to play a game, it's just not worth it to me any longer.

But there's some older games I enjoyed that were too much work to get working under wine previously, even with PlayOnLinux.

While I was an old hand at modded Morrowind, this is the first time I've done anything with Skyrim. Honestly, I was so surprised I could easily run Skyrim under linux that I hadn't gotten around to looking into modding it until the UI issues became so annoying. What's the best approach?

Is there a way to get a list of Steam workshop links for mods like the one I used to install SkyUI? I'd really like to install the unofficial patch if one exists for my non-DLC'd version of Skyrim as well as the recommended mods listed here:

https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/5078-fixes-recommended-in-addition-to-the-ussep/

It's almost looking like I'm either going to have to buy all the DLC or upgrade to the special edition. Not sure yet if I want to do either yet.

Thanks again!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a while since I've run Oldrim. In fact, I'm just downloading it again today so I could remind myself of how it operates. There aren't audio issues with Oldrim. But SE does have issues. It's a licensing thing apparently.

With Oldrim (Skyrim) - as you say - you can simply go to the Steam workshops and find what you want. I think you just type in the name of the game to the search in workshops and then see what you fancy. I didn't bother to mod it much outside of workshops as there was so much there. If I did mod it, I'd mostly do it manually because there was so little I wanted to add. I wouldn't do that with SkyrimSE though. My days of finding manual modding fun have long since past! With SE you can mod inside the game via Bethesda and some modders will post their mods here and there. When I can't get either M02 or Vortex to work on my rig, I'm really grateful to those who put them in both places.

DLC - I like the Dawnguard because I like having Serana around. Dragonborn is fun because it's on Solstheim and I found it rather nostalgic. There's Neloth of Morrowind fame who I find very amusing... There's quite a lot of content in both... Hearthfire sticks on houses and not much else but some of the mods need Hearthfire. Bethesda did some work on the graphics and made audio awkward for Linux but I doubt that was their intent! On Linux I don't find SE as stable as Oldrim but I've got use to its foibles... Most people mod for SE now though some modders very kindly will release for Oldrim as well. It depends how much you want to add mods I guess. But there were some fabulous mods for Oldrim and even now you hear people begging modders to port to SkyrimSE.

I don't know what else to say. If you install the Synaptic Package Manager (if you haven't already) you'll find that it comes with the ability to install some games. I run 7 Kingdoms much more successfully on Linux than I ever did on any Windows OS I had. So there might be games you can get hold of that will run very happily.

I'm afraid that I spend my time getting the game stable and then trying to break it (and the OS) by adding and subtracting as much as I can. I suspect I enjoy broken more than I enjoy fixed and running smoothly. But the reality is Linux is very very very stable. It's quite hard to wreck it! It's just I've had a lot of practice in wrecking systems...

I'm still waiting for Oldrim to finish downloading. We have the slowest download speeds in the world here. It's the modern equivalent of the old dial-up. I can walk faster than it runs... but once it's done I'll look at how I installed SKSE via Steam. I'm wondering too if Glorious Eggroll has a fix for Oldrim which includes SKSE...

I have both Seven Kingdoms: Ancient Adversaries and Seven Kingdoms 2 HD on GOG. I could never get them to run under linux before. I'll have to give those a try using Lutris along with a few other titles I've never got to work under linux. Do you have a recommendation for which one to try first?

N

Opensuse has a different package manager than Synaptic.

I haven't been able to find any of the patch-oriented mods for Oldrim in the workshop. I guess I'll have to install them another way.

At this point, I'm looking for mods that fix bugs and make the game playable. I'm not really looking to do much more than that.

Sorry to hear about your dial-up speeds. I remember that my first year of college I had an effective dial-up speed of about 70 baud. I could literally type faster than the modem, which was quite a disappointment since I had spent the money to get a fast 19200 modem.

What is MO2?

Edit: Never mind. Found it. Mod Organizer 2.

Unfortunately, the SKSE mod stopped working for no apparent reason. I just tried reinstalling everything after making a backup of common/Skyrim, but the uninstaller didn't ask me to keep my saved games, and SURPRISE!, the saved games weren't in my backups. And the reinstall didn't fix the issue. Since I lost the 40 hours I invested, and it's not working quite reliably yet, I guess I'm done for now. Thanks for the pointers to Lutris. Haven't yet been able to get Morrowind installed yet. Tried the Morrowind normal CD install and the GOG GOTY install, and both failed immediately. I also have the GOTY CD, but there's no install option for that, and trying to manually set up an install doesn't seem to show a way to pick the setup image.

Edited by mkienenb

7k should run with the set-up you have. It takes a few moments to install - it'll make you smile if you remember how long it took originally! You won't need Lutris for it. It's hosted here if you can't find it on your package manager.

https://7kfans.com/downloads/

It's actually more than 7 kingdoms now but there's still only 7 to play with. The owners gave 7K to the community and that's how it is now maintained. I'm a huge fan of 7K so I think you should see if that runs OK to start with. Then see what your package manager has to offer. Synaptic is wonderful. Ubuntu has it's own software installer all pretty and with ratings but I much prefer Synaptic. It looks like a great big Christmas present on my desktop! And that's how I see it.

But to return to the sheep....

Once you've got a small game - like 7K - running that will assure you that Wine is functioning properly. Then I think you need to see if Steam has installed OK and get Skyrim (Oldrim) to work *without* SKSE first. Once you know it's stable then add SKSE through Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/365720/Skyrim_Script_Extender_SKSE/

For me, Steam reported an error but in fact it did start the download process and I simply had to click install. It treats SKSE as a separate game so you can either use it or not. The SKSE team say that the latest version for Oldrim (Skyrim) is always on Steam but they have no plans to do any more updating to it.

The great advantage of Oldrim is that if you add mods through the Steam workshop they stay there until you unsubscribe and when you're installing and reinstalling the game it's useful not to have to go through all that downloading rigmarole every time you want to add a mod the zillionth time. Once you know it's stable then you can add mods from here. You can turn it into a completely different game by choosing mods. I use Live Another Life which allows you to start somewhere other than Helgen. You can start as an innkeeper, or a soldier for example. Or my current favourite - as a Thalmor prisoner. It puts a new slant on the game as there are no dragons until you trigger them. So you decide how it will play out. There's even a mod to put Daggerfall into the Skyrim engine. You can play the main quest in Daggerfall and then choose to be dumped back into Live Another Life. There's a lot been done over the last few years. Actually, the same is true with Morrowind and Oblivion.

Do let us know how things go! It's nice to see someone new to Linux gaming. Once you get things stable, you cease to notice. Honestly. But ironing out the wrinkles can take some patience.

Nice to see an activity in this thread!

I'm surprised shumkar hasn't come along but maybe they haven't noticed this yet... it's an old thread... I'd be interested in how things go. Even though all I do is game now, I guess I have retained *some* curiosity about user experience... :-)

Oh, zixi, Long time, no see! How are you?

I haven't been playing Skyrim for a long time... Lastly, I launched it only for updating/fixing my mods. (I created 4 mods, 1 of them - especially for Linux users :smile: )

Thanks to both of you and to this discussion, I felt how much I want to continue to play Skyrim. I'll have to remember a lot of things that I forgot during this time...

Regarding SKSE: I would recommend to install it manually. I have always installed it manually. But I can't say nothing about Oldrim on Linux; I've been playing on Linux in SE only.

mkienenb, don't you consider moving to SE? I believe that it is more robust, with a lot of bugfixes. Compatibility with the latest mod versions is another its advantage.

I just tried reinstalling everything after making a backup of common/Skyrim, but the uninstaller didn't ask me to keep my saved games, and SURPRISE!, the saved games weren't in my backups. And the reinstall didn't fix the issue.

My saves are located in ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/489830/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents/My Games/Skyrim Special Edition/Saves, and yours?

Edited by shumkar

I'm so glad to 'see' you! It's been ages. I rather hoped you'd pop into this. I'm glad you're playing SE again! I've found it a good place to be able to go during these weird times!

Yes, these are strange times... I would definitely uninstall a pair of mods from the real life :smile:

Brilliant. If only! rofl. That ought to be a sig or on a t-shirt. It's the best description I've heard! :laugh: