Quests disappearing from journal

XenoAlbedo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I'm the author of Simpler Knock

I just wanted to let you know that this issue was fixed in the last update, also, i researched a lot of this matter of disappearing quest marker.

First thing to do is looking at you PAPYRUS LOG, if something is wrong you can see it by "Dumping stacks" that might keep happening in the log for some reason.

In case of Simpler Knock the issue was coming from 2 specific situations, the research of who is holding the key of their respective houses in DarkWater crossing and Katla's Farm. In simple word, my mod was searching for a key that existed in the game but wasn't given to their respective owners.

Something that i couldn't anticipate :pinch:

My mod's logic basically runs on conditions wich were ALL THE SAME besides these 2 cases, wich in my opinion should be adressed also in the USSEP.

But about this issue in general, my opinion is that Skyrim has a LIMITED quantity of active quests wich can be displayed, that if surpassed, it just simply delete from the journal but still don't hide from the markers on the map as i could see.

I hope i clarified a little.

Have a nice day.

• 2 months later...

Anyone ever find a solution for this? I too am having quests disappear from my log and never used Simpler knock. However I recently installed the "smooth camera" mod on github which has caused a lot of dumps in my papyrus log. If what Alaebasta says is true than stack dumps seem to be the culprit. Not sure how script stack dumps affect journal entries though? I have to go back about 5 days worth of saves. Not the end of the world but a lot of progress lost nonetheless.

As an update to anyone who might come across this thread regarding journal entries going missing; I can confirm this is due to script stack dumps. I loaded up a save, teleported from Solitude to Whiterun and sure enough DYNDOLOD stack dumped in my Papyrus log and right after 2 journal entries disappeared. I was able to repeat the problem consistently. I can say it might be also triggered depending on the severity of the dump (if its even a thing). I had my smooth camera also stack dump and after my log was OK. From the looks of it there were more stack dump entries with DynDOLOD than the smooth camera.

Hopefully this is something that can be fixed :) - in the meantime its time to clean up my load order and remove the script load!

• 7 months later...

I have the same issue and I could not find anything which would fix this.

IMO if the 256 quests in the Jornal is a hard limit, then only the devs could do anything about it. Or maybe the SKSE64 guys.

Unfortunately this "bug" is quite rare, as only a very small percent of players hit this limit, so I don't keep my hopes up. :(