[Help] Mod to control enemy unit spawning & avatar appearance

PO0P

Hi,

I am a big fan of what 2K did with Xcom 2; but there are some things on which they went a little too crazy to my tastes.

There are some units that I feel do not have their place in the universe (Codex, Spectre, and even Archon). On top of that, avatars look ridiculous while they should be the most scary looking enemies of the game..

I would like to create 2-3 mods:

- one to manually set-up enemy spawning chances (in order to be able to almost erase from the game some alien species)

- one to alter avatars' appearance into something more scary (f.i. bald with half open back skull & white glowing psi-brain)

- (eventually) another to rebalance alien kings : one reaction after each xcom move is way too OP; but they could be more resistant to status effect and psi-attack. Also they could only appear in late game as a response to xcom successes.

I am highly motivated; but I never did that kind of project and am struggling to find good tuto/resources. Could some experienced modders point me in the right directions and/or give some tips/documentations to work on my own ? (unless some of the mods described already exist)

Many thanks in advance for your help !

- one to manually set-up enemy spawning chances (in order to be able to almost erase from the game some alien species)

If you set a particular enemy's minimum force level to 99 in XComEncounterLists.ini then they'll never appear, assuming you're not using the mod which allows Force Level to increase beyond 20. What doesn't exist is some kind of Mod Config Mod which builds a list of mod-added enemies at run time and allows the player to enable or disable them. Not sure how feasible that is.

- (eventually) another to rebalance alien kings : one reaction after each xcom move is way too OP; but they could be more resistant to status effect and psi-attack. Also they could only appear in late game as a response to xcom successes.

There's a few which change Rulers (and how they appear differs depending on whether Integrated DLC is enabled at campaign start), Ruler Reactions Revised springs to mind.

For help with mod creation have a look here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xcom2mods/wiki/index

If you set a particular enemy's minimum force level to 99 in XComEncounterLists.ini then they'll never appear, assuming you're not using the mod which allows Force Level to increase beyond 20. What doesn't exist is some kind of Mod Config Mod which builds a list of mod-added enemies at run time and allows the player to enable or disable them. Not sure how feasible that is.

There's a few which change Rulers (and how they appear differs depending on whether Integrated DLC is enabled at campaign start), Ruler Reactions Revised springs to mind.

For help with mod creation have a look here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xcom2mods/wiki/index

Thanks a lot ! Modifying XcomEncounterLists.ini was indeed the right approach. I set up instead to 0 MaxCharactersPerGroup and SpawnWeight at each occurence (the latter I think refers to the cost for the generator to spawn a specific enemy in a pod); and it did exactly what I wanted:

- Codex appear only on related mission,

- their defense counterpart Cyberus, as well as Spectres and Archons are gone

- they are replaced by other enemies randomly at each waves (spawnWeight=0 garantee that I think, but I am not sure it was necessary)

Deleting each row might have done the job too.

Reddit wiki is indeed extensive. For now I just deactivated the Ruler DLC, but when I'll have some time I'll have a look at Ruler Reactions Revised Mod and at how to replace Archons' by an Avatar Ruler <or> add both a Frost viper and Supreme Avatar as new enemy units with no Ruler.

Many thanks again !

AFAIK, if you disable the Alien Hunters DLC in the Steam Launcher they'll still appear in campaign.

What I'd do is, assuming you're on WotC, keep the DLC enabled but when starting the game choose to not integrate DLC. You'll get the Alien Nest mission on the geoscape that you can perform at your leisure. I wait for plasma and some good troops before doing it.