(new) Should i buy old skyrim or special edition for mods ?

HolyLamb

Hello !

i am new to skyrim and modding in general. i bought the original skyrim on steam via a steam key and now want to get into modding but i am wondering if i should buy the dlc for original skyrim (which does not show up on steam search, curse you betheshda !!) or should i buy the special edition one ?

to be honest i just want to have all the glorious mods, if you know what i mean...( Í¡° ÍÊ Í¡°) I will be really thankful for your insight...

Hello !

i am new to skyrim and modding in general. i bought the original skyrim on steam via a steam key and now want to get into modding but i am wondering if i should buy the dlc for original skyrim (which does not show up on steam search, curse you betheshda !!) or should i buy the special edition one ?

to be honest i just want to have all the glorious mods, if you know what i mean...( Í¡° ÍÊ Í¡°) I will be really thankful for your insight...

For now (but probably not for much longer) you have a larger set of options for mods on Oldrim than you do on SE. Also, SE is much easier to make stable for adding mods than LE (it can take some work f you want to add a LOT of mods). So, from what you've said, you probably want to just bite the bullet and get SE (and this is from someone who uses Oldrim preferentially).

Hmm...didn't the legendary edition of oldrim had all dlc?

Anyways, I'll suggest SE, since it's more stable. Frankly, I don't play SE, since a few of the mods (race/compatibility, etc, etc) that are completely indispensable for my playthroughs aren't converted yet to the new one, not sure if they ever will. I do suggest SE since the instability/maintanence of oldrim can get grating. However, If you don't mind that and want a bigger library of mods, then try the old one.

IMO SE is better for stability and should be the default. But I'm going to make it complicated.

LE has ~62k mods. SE has ~22k. LE has more junk, duplicate and outdated mods, but even factoring that in, it probably has around twice as many. OTOH, SE seems a little more active with mod creation, and some new mods are not getting backported to LE. I'd give SE the edge here, barely.

The other factor for me is graphics. For a high-end GPU and the best possible graphics (ENB with HQ textures), I think LE is the clear winner. I switch back and forth between LE and SE, and I struggle having to see the "downgrade" when in SE. If you don't care about graphics, or have a less than mid-range GPU, than SE wins. Otherwise, LE is the winner.

I'd say buy Legendary Edition first then you get Special Edition for Free from Bethesda or Steam can't remember which, not sure if you still do but many of us did. Then you get both.. You probably still can, you get more this way. There are more that play Legendary Edition because there are more mods to choose from. Overall there are still many that play Special Edition too. I play both!

• 2 months later...