Help With Crashing

First off, thanks for checking my post out. I don't have much experience with modding NV, and just wanted some cosmetic mods to pretty my game up as well as Project Nevada.

Well, enter a world of crashing I'm not smart enough to figure out. Here's a list of my mods https://imgur.com/a/QwYshwJ Project Nevada is disabled as I thought that could have been the issue. It wasn't. Included is my package manager, the mods I've installed using FOMM. Edit: I've added an image of my NVAC log

Edit: Moving the Steam folders from Program Files didn't change anything.

Edit: My game crashed yet again while I was outside and attempted to press ESC. I started the game back up to be greeted with this as my most recent file https://imgur.com/a/WCuTlYk

Attempting to load it end with a crash to desktop

If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

If I left out some info that'll help, please let me know and I'll get that added.

Edited by chachingboy2

* Be aware that one error may mask a number of other errors, which will not appear until those masking them have been resolved. Building a stable game consists of resolving each problem individually until none remain, and then realizing that every change you make thereafter (including updates to mods already installed) run the risk of introducing new problems. Be prepared to revert to a previous save if you do so.

When do you crash? During the initialization of the game but before it gets to the Main Menu, after you select a "Save" to resume, or after you get into a resumed game? Sounds like "after loading a saved game", but the wrong starting point can send us down quite the detour.

"Prettying up" the game with "cosmetic mods" is one of the things most likely to cause problems, because such mods push the game design parameters. Did everything work well before you attempted any of that, or did you just dive in head first?

* Move any "inactive/disabled" plugins out of the game "Data" folder. They count against the "plugin cap" because they get loaded by the game engine if found, and can cause "Missing Master" problems. Please see the wiki "Missing Masters" article if you get that error message.

Get the basics straightened out before you go chasing after NVAC error codes. "NVAC - New Vegas AntiCrash" error log entries are described on the "Description" page. This an important log for "in-game" errors. Some are intended to assist mod authors; while others are there to help "you, the player" trying to resolve a problem. You are interested in the entries which are NOT automatically handled successfully by NVAC. Key entries to look for are the following "letter codes":
* "e" entries are Exceptions handled specifically by NVAC's targeted code changes
* "h" entries are exceptions identified Heuristically by NVAC's "global" exception handler, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "m" entries are "Middle of nowhere" exceptions, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "ñ" entries are Null instruction exceptions, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "n" entries are Null pointer call exceptions, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "o" entries are stack Overflow exceptions, usually handled unsuccessfully.
* "q" entries are program self-termination information; these are effectively crashes.
* "u" entries are Unhandled exceptions reported from the Unhandled Exception Filter; these are crashes (and the NVAC author wants to hear about them).
* "v" entries are unhandled exceptions reported by NVAC's "global" exception handler; these are crashes.
* "w" entries are informative, relaying exception information as it passes through New Vegas's final exception handler.
* "x" entries are critical errors in Windows exception data; these entries should never occur.
* ":" entries are output from OutputDebugString calls.
* ";" entries are output from the game's own error checking.
Other codes may be of interest, but are not things the player is likely to be able to resolve, They are useful for informing the author of the mod to aid them in fixing their plugin. In particular, pass along the
* "_" entries are informative, relaying that NVAC was loaded and the base address of various DLLs
* "!" entries are informative, relaying human-readable text for the user
entries.
Any error codes found in the log but not listed on the mod "Description" page should be reported to the NVAC comments page.

The snippet of NVAC log you showed was all "h" heuristic errors (which aren't anything you can fix yourself) and "e" errors indicating a memory violation. Anytime the game "Crashes to the Desktop" (CTD) it's typically going to generate an error message in the Windows Eventlog. Please see the "Windows Error Messages" section of the wiki "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" article. You need to fix that memory problem first.

Often times it is simply faster to backup to the previous save before things went "crash", and try adding and testing one mod at a time to determine which is causing the problem. Keep track of the "last good save" and once you straighten things out, resume from there.

Please see the 'Vanilla Load Order' entry in the 'First Timer Advice' section; and the 'Common Game Problems' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

If the problem persists, then see either the 'Solutions to Starting the game problems' or the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' sections in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last did so. It is designed for someone who has never played a modded PC game before, so it tries to avoid making any assumptions, is kept "up-to-date", and covers years of "lessons learned".

-Dubious-

Hey, thanks for responding! Right, I forgot when it crashes. It seems random, honestly. Most recent was pressing esc when outside. It's also happened while walking outside and when entering a building. It's not a CTD, it more freezes and forces me to CRTL ALT DELETE it, sorry if freeze was more apt than crash.

I've cleaned up my files, used Loot to sort everything, gonna see if that makes a difference, I'll let you know how it goes. My FOMM now looks like this https://imgur.com/a/by8JaqU

Oh and I don't know if this helps any, but, I had crashing issues when my mod list was Nevada Skies, Project Nevada and Alternative Start. First I disabled Nevada Skies. Still crashing. Then I disabled Project Nevada, I forget if I disabled Nevada Skies with this. Still crashing. Then Alternative Start with Project Nevada active. Still crashing. But I did not have NVAC when I did all this.

Edit 1: Loading a previous quicksave resulted in a CTD

Edit 2: Played some more and was forced an alt-tab by this https://imgur.com/a/6tFJcaq I don't get it every time, think this is the first time. I was walking after I ate some food.

Edited by chachingboy2

Disabling a mod to test if it causes a crash isn't enough. You have to uninstall it. And use a decent mod manager like Nexus Mod Manager to install your mods. You also have to know that Fallout NV always has been a bit fickle, to say the least and although the latest version is pretty stable (the GOG version at least, not so much the Steam version) the game still crashes randomly.

Disabling a mod to test if it causes a crash isn't enough. You have to uninstall it. And use a decent mod manager like Nexus Mod Manager to install your mods. You also have to know that Fallout NV always has been a bit fickle, to say the least and although the latest version is pretty stable (the GOG version at least, not so much the Steam version) the game still crashes randomly.

Right, thanks, good to know. I'll try uninstalling Alternative Start, one of the first 3, and seeing how it goes. Don't quite like the idea of doing this all again on a new save.

Uninstalling Alternative Start seems to have helped. But, I had stuttering and a freeze when approaching Boulder City. Reloaded a save at 188, approached Boulder City with no issue only to get an infinite loading screen when trying to enter the area the Great Khans are in. Tried to load that auto save, same infinite loading screen. And then an infinite loading screen on the previously working 188 save.

Edit: Tried to load the 188 save again after verifying game cache. CTD this time.

Edited by chachingboy2

Knowing you are crashing at random after having loaded a save game and playing a while helps immensely.

* Do you have "New Vegas Stutter Remover" (NVSR) installed? If so, please see the 'Issue: CTD after 10-20 minutes of play (post-Win10 2017 FCU)' and 'Issue: CTD without warning, "Out of Memory error", or stops responding after the Main Menu' entries in the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

Alternatively, try using the "New Vegas Tick Fix (NVTF)" mod instead.

* Related to the NVSR problem, for problems AFTER a save game is loaded see also 'Issue: Incomplete save game load' in the "Troubleshooting" guide.

* Please see the paragraph about "auto-saves" under the 'Essentials for Getting Started' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article. If you have been using the built-in "auto-save" feature and you get the endless "roulette wheel" when loading a save game, then your current save game file is corrupted and you will have to either go back to a save before the corruption occurred (hard to tell) or start over.

Completely uninstalling mods is necessary to absolutely remove their files, followed by "verify local files" if they replaced/overwrote any vanilla game files (or if you aren't sure). This is where the point about using a "modern mod manager" comes into play. FOMM works perfectly fine (as does Wrye Flash) but they install mod files directly into the game "Data" folder. More modern managers work from the concept of "leave the Data folder empty between sessions" and only place "symlinks" to mod files into Data and remove them when the game session closes. (However, this approach can seem complex in how it is implemented and you have to pay closer attention to where (folders) files are located in the manager.) Both methods work, but you need to understand which is in use and accommodate it. Whichever manager you use, please take the time to read and understand it's documentation.

If you installed a mod which replaces meshes or textures, then you also need to toggle "ArchiveInvalidation" off-and-then-back-on again both when you add it and when you remove it, so the game engine knows whether a "loose file" should be overriding the use of one in a BSA.

You don't mention if you have resolved the "memory access error" (0xC0000005)? You are just "spinning your wheels in place" and going nowhere until you resolve this.

"Windows Exception code: 0xc0000005". The "Faulting Application" is often the victim of another program rather than the actual culprit, making it virtually impossible for the user to trace the source. Any recent update since the last time it was working correctly is suspect, as are viruses even if you have anti-virus (AV) running. Run AV from multiple sources when checking for infections. There are a number of free online scanners on the internet (though they are all going to try to sell you their services after the first time).

You may need to exclude FNV from "Data Execution Protection (DEP)" and configure " Windows Defender Exploit Guard (WDEG)" (or Microsoft's "Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)" for Win7). Please see "Issue - NVSE - fails to load after update KB4058043 to Win10 FCU v1709" under the 'Solutions to Starting the game problems' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

Try turning off any unnecessary background processes, such as "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" programs (unneeded if you are running your game in "offline" mode once you have scanned since the last connection), multiplayer "overlays" like "OverWolf" (this is single-player after all), the Steam overlay, etc., at least on a temporary basis to see if they are interfering. There are also tools (often called "Game Boosters") to help you determine "unnecessary when offline" Windows services you can temporarily shut down.

It is also possible that any recent change to your mods (such as updates) or your existing "load order" (such as additions or removals) have causes a corruption of the current save game file. Try going back to a save game from before the problem started. Often starting a "new game" with a vanilla test character can help confirm if the problem lies in the current load order.

-Dubious-

Thanks a bunch for your help man. I am using NVSR, as you suggested I've uninstalled/deleted it and installed NVTF. I've also toggled archiveinvalidation, I'll edit in if I find any success.

Edit: I was able to load the previously unloadable save and play for 40 minutes before I froze approaching Novac. It's not perfect but it's a lot more stable than previous, thank you!

Edited by chachingboy2