Making my own hair textures

jessesDRpepper

That's probably a good way to start.

You are still going to need to learn how to use Blender. The other tools are pretty simple.

Blender Noob to Pro is a good resource. I would start by making a simple static object and importing that into the game, just so that you can learn the basics of creating a mesh, UV mapping, and converting the mesh into a nif so that the game can use it. Once you have learned that and can make it work, then make the jump up to editing hairs.

It would be nice if some sort of hair editor exists, but it doesn't. Blender works, but it is designed to be used for everything from creating game assets to creating 3d animated movies. It's a powerful program, but it's complicated.

Just post here when you get stuck. The two main programs that you can use to create any meshes for Fallout are Blender and 3ds Max, and 3ds Max costs money (at least the version that works with FNV). Blender is by far the more popular among modders, mostly because of the cost issue. So there are plenty of folks around here that can help you learn Blender.

Edited by madmongo

I did however find the right head mesh via Fallout Mod Manager though, In the BSA browser of "Fallout - Meshes"

The problem with this is when I try to extract the files it takes me to a folder called GeMM, but it will not let me save them.... It says that I "don't have permission to save in this location."

So that's really just where I get stuck...

Should I just save them somewhere else?

Edited by jessesDRpepper

You can drive yourself a little buggy trying to put together the right versions of blender and all of the tools. It's much better to download the entire package together. See the tools section here:

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Getting_started_creating_mods_using_GECK

This has the correct version of blender, the nif import/export tools, nifskope, etc. all packaged together with versions that all work properly together. Just make sure you follow the install instructions exactly.

As you have discovered, the game assets are all in bsa files. You will have to extract them before using them using the BSA browser as blender can't read bsa archives.

The "permissions denied" prompt suggests you are letting Windows install those tool files into the "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files(x86)" folder tree, which are "system protected" to prevent any changes after the initial install. Use the "custom install" option and pick a different location (e.g. "C:\Apps"). If you did, then likely any access privilege problem is one of "File and Folder permissions" on the parent "root" folder under which you installed the games. If this is not set correctly to allow at least "System", "Administrators", and "Users" to have "Full Control" then you can't overwrite other files or make changes. You then (while logged in as an "Administrator Account") need to enable the "Properties | Security | Advanced | Change Permissions" setting of the parent folder to enable the box: "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", so those changes get applied to the existing files and sub-folders. There is no use in attempting to do this to the "C:\Program Files" folders as it will not "take" and will get reset everytime you get a system update even if it did.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent