Need a bit of modding help regarding models and textures.

hoppper

I want to replace all instances of the Remnant's Power Armor with the Enclave Power Armor from Fallout 3... But when I go to select the model in GECK, I can't find it anywhere... Nor can I simply copy and paste the "Armor\EnclavePowerArmor\EnclaveArmor.NIF" line into the Remnant's Power Armor's model box.

Edited by hoppper

You are talking about working with meshes and textures, so you are attempting to use the wrong tool with the GECK. I'm not a modeller, but have you seen the "Custom items", "Armor and Clothes", "Blender Mesh Editor", "Conversions", and "NifSkope Mesh Editor" sections of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article? They contain links to tutorials (both text and videos) as well as tips from experienced mod creators.

Then post your questions in the "Mod Troubleshooting" sub-forum. (The correct sub-forum gets the right eyeballs. Not everyone goes through everything.)

-Dubious-

But when I go to select the model in GECK, I can't find it anywhere...

You can't find it because it is in the compressed archive (BSA)

Ergo you have to extract the .nif/.dds and place it in the loose folders to find it when navigating in the Geck.

Nor can I simply copy and paste the "Armor\EnclavePowerArmor\EnclaveArmor.NIF" line into the Remnant's Power Armor's model box.

Not exactly sure what you are meaning here ... but a copy/paste in geck of course would not do it since you are simply trying to move a directory path , not the actual file. There is no way to assign a path with the geck into the compressed archive.

You must assign the path to a loose folder which matches the archive. Then delete loose folder , and it will find it in the archive.

Assets started out in the loose folder ... then they got compressed into the archive.

Hence the game can look into the archive , but the geck cannot for reassignment.

To make a simple replacement, locate the exact path to the armor to be replaced.

If you have an armor replacer already installed, the next step is easy. Just copy/paste the armor from Fallout 3 in the proper location and do a name change to the armor to be replaced. You need to do this for both the mesh and texture. If you don't have an armor replacer, just make a folder "armor" and add the replacing armor with the name changed.

The game will load the lose file instead of the file in the .bsa. I have done this numerous times with clothing/armor I have mashed up or ported.

Don't forget to toggle Archive Invalidation when the change is made.

You are talking about working with meshes and textures, so you are attempting to use the wrong tool with the GECK. I'm not a modeller, but have you seen the "Custom items", "Armor and Clothes", "Blender Mesh Editor", "Conversions", and "NifSkope Mesh Editor" sections of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article? They contain links to tutorials (both text and videos) as well as tips from experienced mod creators.

Then post your questions in the "Mod Troubleshooting" sub-forum. (The correct sub-forum gets the right eyeballs. Not everyone goes through everything.)

-Dubious-

I'm glad I got around to checking this question again... I made a model and don't know how to turn it from a .Blend to a .Nif file. Help.

Import the .blend file into blender and export it as a .nif.

Except, the version of Blender I'm using doesn't allow me to export it as a .nif, and for some reason the model doesn't want to load in any other program I tell it to.

And, when I try to use NifSkope... When I first load my model and save it as a .NIF, I get this error: "Warnings were generated while reading the blocks. block 4 Tangents array size mismatch

block 4 Bitangents array size mismatch
block 6 Tangents array size mismatch
block 6 Bitangents array size mismatch"

And if I try to load it again, it just gives me this one: "failed to load block number 4 (NiTriShapeData) previous block was NiSourceTexture"

And I have absolutely no idea what this means or why... I really don't want to go to the trouble of trying to remake my model, it took me most of a day and it's the first thing I've ever actually made, so...

And, when I try to use NifSkope... When I first load my model and save it as a .NIF, I get this error: "Warnings were generated while reading the blocks. block 4 Tangents array size mismatch

block 4 Bitangents array size mismatch
block 6 Tangents array size mismatch
block 6 Bitangents array size mismatch"

And if I try to load it again, it just gives me this one: "failed to load block number 4 (NiTriShapeData) previous block was NiSourceTexture"

And I have absolutely no idea what this means or why... I really don't want to go to the trouble of trying to remake my model, it took me most of a day and it's the first thing I've ever actually made, so...

What version of Blender,

NifSkope

NifScripts

PyFFI

Python

are you using?

The only program that reads .blend files is Blender. If you can't export it as a .nif, you either don't have proper files or they are installed incorrectly.

I did not accept any default location when installing the tools. All of the tools are installed directly on the C: drive in their own folders.