Game CTDs when talking to custom follower...

There's always some sort of crashing bs when I try to make a follower. This time I tried making a follower out of one of the enemies from Mihail's Ohmes Criminals. I went through the tutorial for making a follower multiple times, and this isn't my first time trying to make one. However, every time I press the key to talk to the npc the game immediately crashes. I even tried using EFF to force recruit the npc, which worked, but even if I use the EFF menu and click "Talk" the game crashes. I seriously don't get how so many people are able to make custom followers that actually work, yet it never works when I do it. Hope someone will respond to this and can actually help me figure this out.

Edited by Kadraeus

There's always some sort of crashing bs when I try to make a follower. This time I tried making a follower out of one of the enemies from Mihail's Ohmes Criminals. I went through the tutorial for making a follower multiple times, and this isn't my first time trying to make one. However, every time I press the key to talk to the npc the game immediately crashes. I even tried using EFF to force recruit the npc, which worked, but even if I use the EFF menu and click "Talk" the game crashes. I seriously don't get how so many people are able to make custom followers that actually work, yet it never works when I do it. Hope someone will respond to this and can actually help me figure this out.

I don't know which tutorial you used. Here is the one I used and you can check out the results in that my uploaded followers' links are in my signature below.

https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/3045-tutorial-to-create-a-follower/

This link is text with pictures. It contains everything that you need to know and, probably, a lot of things you don't need.

Good luck and happy modding.

P.S. Yes I know it is for LE but the same steps are taken for making an SE follower, they just need to be done using the SE Creation Kit.

I don't know which tutorial you used. Here is the one I used and you can check out the results in that my uploaded followers' links are in my signature below.

https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/3045-tutorial-to-create-a-follower/

This link is text with pictures. It contains everything that you need to know and, probably, a lot of things you don't need.

Good luck and happy modding.

P.S. Yes I know it is for LE but the same steps are taken for making an SE follower, they just need to be done using the SE Creation Kit.

Looks like I did the same stuff as the tutorial. The faction settings, relationship, etc. are the same. Only difference I really see is the voice type, and I've tried many different ones with no luck. I don't really understand what could cause this specific npc to crash the game when I try to talk to it. Could it be because it's using a custom race or something?

I just tried changing the follower to be one of the vanilla races (a wood elf) and I was able to talk to them as normal. So, the crashing issue is clearly due to the npc being a custom race. Anyone know how to get around this?

I don't think this is linked to a custom race but I could be wrong. The reason I'm saying this is that I just made a custom dwemer spider follower with a new race. Its dialogue works fine. It uses no morph race or armor race (I wanted to make its own skin etc). It does, however use the vanilla hkx files for animations, skeleton etc.

Clearly, after your test, something is going wrong with the race. If you're on Discord, and were willing to give me the esp, I could look for things. It could be that something in the original mod is needed and you don't have it in your esp. At least I could rule out the normal things. If the original mod author has done stuff to the hkx files, I'll be totally lost. That's an absolute nightmare! Beth clearly didn't want people to tinker with them.

I made the follower directly in the mod's original esp, and everything is there as far as I know. I don't think it edits animations or skeletons, since I don't see any in the files. This is Ohmes Criminals SSE, btw. And what discord? I guess I could send you the esp, unless you'd want to download the mod and try doing it yourself.

Just tried making her the wood elf race but adding the headparts and body from the custom race. It still crashed my game. So, I guess the meshes are the issue. Honestly, this really pisses me off, but I'm going to keep trying.

It certainly sounds like meshes. Missing textures don't normally cause CTD, but faulty meshes do.

Have you tried using SSE NIF optimizer? I'd back the meshes up elsewhere before trying it but it can fix a lot of problems.

Discord is just a chat and file server for modders. Elianora is on it and a number of the members here are on it, too. It just lumps chat and file exchange into one neat package.

I could download it but I'm just seeing an Auriel's bow mod and 'Practical Female Blades armour' on Nexus SSE.

Oh, this mod isn't mine. It's one of Mihail's mods that I'm editing to make a follower out of: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/35979 Going to try running them through Nif Optimizer though.

What's weird is I've killed a few of this mod's enemies before without crashing, yet it crashes when I make one into a follower.

Edited by Kadraeus

Went back to trying to make my own custom follower using racemenu and for the second time I actually got her face to show up correctly. I was able to walk up to her fine, but if I pressed the button to talk to her the game would crash just like with the ohmes follower. So, I tried force recruiting her using EFF and that worked for a few seconds. Soon after I left the cell to go outside, the game crashed. Now, the game crashes every single time I spend more than 3 seconds near the damn npc. Same crap was happening with the ohmes follower I tried to make. I seriously don't understand. I've followed multiple tutorials for creating followers and I've started from scratch multiple times, but no matter what there's always something that doesn't work. If the character does happen to appear in the game exactly how I want them to, then the game will inevitably crash for absolutely no reason. It's like it doesn't work simply because I was the one who made it. What the hell. There's no way it's this difficult for other people.