The Big City Revival.

TheWanderer001

Beta released:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48823/?tab=description

After a quick check it would appear that this project is compatible with OpenMW... mostly.

If anyone is interested in joining me to revive this project then please contact me either directly here in this thread or via the forum messenger.

Although I closed this project down in 2014 I am now seriously considering reviving it.

Why… because I’m bored with the current games I’ve been playing and modding the past 6yrs

and I did always enjoyed modding Morrowind.

Originally this was one huge city…

I’m currently in the process of splitting it down into a few smaller cities and exterior areas. To fit in with the Slumbering Isles map.

So you can see what it is about…

this was previously released as a cut down Pre-Alpha Recruitment Release back in 2014…

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43165

To start with I probably won’t change any of the areas even though changes will be needed to make the new layout fit together and make sense :D

These changes will however still contain everything the original project had and once I get to that stage I will be releasing it in it’s entirety and unfinished as is state.

Thinking long term...

If anyone knows how to create new land masses in an internal cell... and would be willing to help me produce the overall land mass as shown in the Slumbering Isles Map below…

not necessarily with faunal or flora…

please let me know.

This is where I am hoping to get to... eventually...

http://www.eutek.co.uk/the.wanderer/bigcity/ls_islandmap02.jpg

So… once again If anyone is interested in joining me then please contact me either directly here in this thread or via the forum messenger.

Edited by TheWanderer001

Westwood will no longer be directly conected to a City...
instead it will now become the stand alone Westwood fishing village.

http://www.eutek.co.uk/the.wanderer/bigcity/tw_westwood3.jpg

If anyone is interested in joining me to make a new project team.

Then please contact me either directly here in this thread or via the forum messenger.

Edited by TheWanderer001

In the original Big City the whole Clevedon area (as in map below) was created mostly by just one of the Projects members... MrSwiveller.

I’m going to keep it as it was with the exception it will now no longer be part of the city but will become the main city of “Clevedon” on the separate island as seen on the map of The Slumbering Isles.

It will of course at some future time need a new harbour built.

http://www.eutek.co.uk/the.wanderer/bigcity/tw_clevedon.jpg

If anyone is interested in joining me to make a new project team.

Then please contact me either directly here in this thread or via the forum messenger.

Edited by TheWanderer001

that's a nice idea, I remember taking a look at the city a while ago and it was nice. In case nobody helps, i suggest you plan releasing a very small complete settlement first, usually this can gather more interest/show it is not one of the big neverending projects starting too big, and if things stop developing for any reason at least it will be something playable

Edited by abot

I hear what you are saying but the problem is currently there is no overall world space for any settlement of any size to be released into separately. This is not within the Morrowind world space.

It should probably really be regarded more as a sort of TC… but not quite :D

Each district of the Big City is in its own cell though... so the only difference between the whole Big City and any individual settlement/city/town/village created from it... is the way in which the gates are linked between them and therefore the distances are only implied.

What my intension with this thread is to show how I intend to split up the Big City into different combinations of districts to become in effect separate settlements/cities/towns/villages.

The base for all this will be a release of everything from the project to date.
With the new gate links I have already done… this will mean though that many gates for now will go nowhere. And some areas will only be accessibly in game via ‘coc’ console commands.

Further updates will then come when I have anything substantially new to add.

I am reviving this project mainly for myself… because as I said I’m bored with the current games I’ve been playing and modding the past 6yrs
and I did always enjoyed modding Morrowind and although I have many modding skills I still lack all those needed to fully complete even one area.
Hence hoping to get together a new project team to actually meet those requirements. If this should happen then I will put in a lot more time and effort to this project.

But if not then I will continue this as a hobby… just working on it as the mood takes me amending existing and adding new areas as needed… of which I know there will be many needed.

If anyone is interested in joining me to make a new project team a reality.

Okay here is my current thinking for the Capital “Yarwick”

It is by it’s nature still going to be a very large city.
The red lines indicate which gates I want to connect.

http://www.eutek.co.uk/the.wanderer/bigcity/Yarwich%20small.jpg

Once I’ve linked all the gates I’ve indicated in the previous posts above I’ll package the whole thing up and upload it.

Remeber... If anyone is interested in joining me to make a new project team.

Without the formation of a new project team though it is very unlikely that this will ever be completely finished.

I suspect one reason you haven't attracted interest from other contributors is that you haven't communicated what your vision is for this project. At the moment, from what you've written, that seems to be: make a big victorian-inspired city.

But why?

Is there a story you want to tell which is based in this city?

What roleplaying opportunities do you intend to provide?

Do you intend to add new gameplay mechanics and activities?

How is this location linked to Morrowind?

Have you created any lore for the Slumbering Isles?

These are just example questions and you may have provided the information elsewhere but I had a decent look and couldn't see much else.

TL;DR: You need to persuasively sell your vision for the project.

Okay… The original Big City Project mod was started back in 2006… since then the city just kept growing... modders came and went… and it just kept growing…

I joined the team around 2010… by 2014 I had taken over as Project leader after the last of the original team left…

I tried to move it forward in a different direction as at that time I also realised the city was now so big it had grown out of all proportions and there was little chance of anyone else wanting to join in with such a monster… even though it was a beautiful monster.

So with help I put togther a cut down version with a lead into the City from Morrowind via a short quest. Here’s a link to that release if you are interested.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43165

At that time there was little to no interest in forming a new project team so I reluctantly took the decision at that time to close the project down indefinitely.

And as I’ve said before… I am now serious about reviving it.
Why… because I’m bored with the current games I’ve been playing and modding the past 6yrs and I did always enjoyed modding for Morrowind and the Big City is still a great mod to work with.

What I would like to do now though is expand it from that release and try and complete that part of the City of Jarvik… still using that quest as the lead in.

Using a smaller area as in that release… probably not quite the same districts… those where just thrown together for that particular release… It will however start in the same area of the Jarvik Harbour.

There is also a sort of backstory and it was released as a video along with that version… here’s the link save you looking for it :wink:

I have no single overriding plot line in mind at present… but instead it is my hope for there to be several as yet unwritten plots all able to run concurrently. I know the potential is there for a good many such plots.

Although... there is a large asylum… and at one point it was suggested that the main plot could stem out from there…

I was going to make it part of Yarwich… but it could just as easily be moved to Jarvik.

Possibility for all sorts of plots based around madness there.

With the PC even being committed :D

The problem I have is I’m not a writer :D
I can write simple-ish quests and dialogue but it takes me forever to come up with anything new.

This thread then is basically to show how that big monster is going to be cut down to manageable bite size chunks…. I hope.