Side with Harkon [Dawnguard spoilers obviously]

WotansGlory

Alright, After playing through Dawnguard on both sides I found it odd you were forced to kill Harkon on the Vampire side. I know the reasoning behind it, but it felt like a massive cop out and being the head vampire is meaningless. I felt the Dawnguard side handled it much better, Isran is still the leader and you can still do missions for him.

So why not be able to side with Harkon, either by convincing him the prophecy is a bad Idea or helping him complete it by sacrificing Serana (Never liked her anyways) or her mother (I like her even less). After siding with him, you get a room in the castle and can still buy the upgrades for the castle. As for the prophecy, perhaps it won't work the way Harkon thought it would? I'm not sure how that would be handled.

Any thoughts on this?

I think it more has to do with harkon not actually liking you and being a general jerk.(no suprise in skyrim). It would be an interesting concept for a mod, though it might be a bit hard to pull off since we can't make new dialogue.(atleast not any that fit well)

As for the whole prophecy thing It could be a

Harkon-"muhahaha the sun is gone."

One day later

Dovahkin- "we ran out of blood sir"

Harkon- "damn it"

That seems like a likely out come.(Harkon wasn't really the brightest villian)

Yeah, that whole prophecy thing was what really turned me off Dawnguard. They make such a huge deal about it, and then it turns out to last only one day. Also, no one in Skyrim gives a hoot about it, either.

"Gasp! The sun was just blotted out from the Sky!"

"Whatever, I'm not part of the DLC, so I couldn't give a rat's behind. Now let me get back to munching leeks/chopping wood/blocking this passage."

The mod idea sounds interesting, though. I'm all for adding more player choices. And the fact that Harkon doesn't like you makes it even better. I always get a kick out of NPCs being belittling, rude, sassy or downright insulting.

Harkon's just using you to get his way. Your life is meaningless to him, as would be your servitude. He betrays you...why WOULDN'T I want to get at someone for betraying me...?

...okay, yeah, maybe that part could be rewritten...instead of betraying you, maybe you "open his eyes" and make him see you're not the meaningless grunt he thought you were. I mean, you're the Dragonborn (assuming you played the main story first). You're not some run-of-the-mill bozo, you're capable of tearing people apart with your VOICE, don't even have to touch 'em.

I understand that Harkon wants to betray you, but until the end I never got that impression so it felt shoe horned. But my main reason for wanting to side with Harkon is that being the leader of the volkihar is meaningless and immersion breaking.

Although being able to put someone else in power would be interesting.

I understand that Harkon wants to betray you, but until the end I never got that impression so it felt shoe horned. But my main reason for wanting to side with Harkon is that being the leader of the volkihar is meaningless and immersion breaking.

Although being able to put someone else in power would be interesting.

To me it makes sense. Considering that everyone who spends enough time around him seems to want to kill him (advisers, wife, daughter), and considering the dovakin is probably the only person both competent and powerful enough to kill him he probably figures he's better off killing you first before you can kill him. Eliminate all threats and all.

Hi Wotansglory. You know when I first played Dawnguard in August, I felt the same way. And all of this time later, I DO wish that things had gone differently. I LOVE vampires and was hoping for a little more from Dawnguard, and I think it would've been fun to ally with Harkon. He's defintely a bad guy, but for me, sometimes it's fun in a game to abandon all of the "real" stuff of my life and just be bad for awhile. We could've been like an advisor to him, an assasin that killed in his name, a spouse (he IS hot), a steward, etc. etc.---any number of roles that would've been fun to play at his side. Hmmm......now I wish that I knew how to mod because I'd love to get into something like this! :)

Crossing my fingers that someone will make something like this one day for ya and that I'll be able to play along myself!

Tracy

• 3 weeks later...