Is it possible to add new weapon types with corresponding animations for actors/the player to use?

rockbiter68

Hi everyone,

I've been getting into animation recently, and I've been wanting to do some animations for Oblivion. However, I'm pretty happy with how a lot of the animations look in-game, because while they're not the highest quality animations in the world, they are very consistent across the board.

So, basically, I was wondering if new weapon types could be added to the game, and new animations could be attached to them. I'm no scripter, and my CS knowledge is limited, so this is pretty above my figuring out on my own. Granted, it seems like something like this was possible, someone would have taken a crack at it a while ago - but I thought I would ask and see if it's doable anyways because, if so, I'd definitely be interesting in making some animations for it.

• 5 weeks later...

Animated? You mean with plasma and that fancy stuff? A bow is animated as one example and I seen plasma stuff in Morrowind but cannot recall I seen it in Oblivion but why not? Well gates and portals and that stuff do have plasmas...

Edit: I did had one in a chest really... I forgot about it

https://youtu.be/LpTYMsgEGZE

Before you try animated, just try to add a simple NIF to start with: It is explained in CS WIKI Make sure it is a NIF in v20.4 or 20.5. Niftools have exporters for both 3D Max and Blender and most important is Nifscope, which I use to make the final touch, copying collisions to custom made meshes I made in Blender or edit them. It is a low level tool, so at first glare, it looks simple but it can do anything really... With the current Blender exporter from 2017, it is not possible to export a complete NIF... We must mix and fix with Nifscope.

What you want to do first is to import a weapon into your 3D program to see where the origin is and how it is placed in the editor and the scale as NIF objects in Blender are huge in size. A 2.5 m wide divider is 250m in Blender as one example, 100 times bigger. A NIF cannot have all fancy stuff added to it that is possible to make in a 3D software so start simple and then find out the limits. :smile: Make a simple sword and make it work in game first of all.

You do need to know basics of CS to be able to add or do anything as you want to add it to a merchant, a chest or somewhere so I do suggest you take time and do the CS Tutorial

If CS modding is not your thing, make a mod together with another modder. You make the weapon and the modder adds it in CS. Do you have any screenies or video of the weapons by the way?

//Pekka

Edited by Pellape