Help!: Copying an Item

Nomenclature

I need some assistance, please.

I'm trying to copy a piece of armor from one mod (esp file) to another mod (my own created esp file). I start this off by checking the relevant main esp files (Update, Skyrim), and then by checking the mod I want to copy from and opening the data, without selecting an active esp file, which is intentional.

I create minor edits to the item I want to copy, such as removing the enchant, removing the description, and giving the item a new name. I then select save, which opens a prompt asking me to create a new esp file. I create the new esp file and make sure it has active status and then save the file and close up the creation kit.

When I log into the game and attempt to equip the new item, the armor piece does not show up on my character.

When I reopen the creation kit and check the new item I have created, all the data has been correctly copied from the original item to the new item except for the 'models' field at the bottom middle portion of the object edit window.

I again check to load the original mod I want to copy from, and set my own new esp as active and make sure to copy over the correct settings to the models field and save once again. When I reopen the creation kit to check to see if my save held, it again shows in the new item that the models field is blank.

What am I doing wrong? Is there an easy step-by-step tutorial someone can point me to that can show you how to copy one item from one mod to a new one?

TL;DR version: I can't successfully copy an item from one mod to a new esp file.

Please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed at length. I tried the stickies and doing a few google and forum searches, and I still can't seem to find an answer to my problem.

Thanks.

I think what he means is: I'm trying to make an ESP use another ESP as a master file.

You can't. to change/edit/use forms in another data file, the data file has to be an ESM, not an ESP. you can ofc, recreate a new armor from scratch in the new ESP (including an Armor Addon), but those 2 ESPs are unable to communicate with each other. Thats why there are Master Files.

Thanks for this link. I think that link may have shown me what I was doing wrong, but I haven't tried it yet. Wanted to thank you in advance.

Edit: Yep, that worked. It had something to do with me not duplicating the armoraddon file associated with the item. Did a test run and everything worked fine.

Thanks again to you, and everyone who responded so very quickly!

Edited by Nomenclature

@VectorPlexus Thats why I wrote that tutorial, for making a mod dependant on another without having an esm as a master. Basicly duplicating all the entries so the armor will work. This will not work with scripts or interaction between the 2 mods and never was intended for it. Also he was describing exactly what my tutorial explains how to do, he simply did not make a new entry for the armo and everytime the CK is closed it deletes the original armo entry because it no longer exhists.

"I'm trying to copy a piece of armor from one mod (esp file) to another mod (my own created esp file)." My tutorial explains exactly how to do this.

@Nomenclature, Hope the tutorial did show you what you missed. Also be sure you have permission to use the armor even if you dont actualy include it in the download if you are going to make it available here. personal use is ok to do whatever you want with it but just dont upload if no permission.

@VectorPlexus Thats why I wrote that tutorial, for making a mod dependant on another without having an esm as a master. Basicly duplicating all the entries so the armor will work. This will not work with scripts or interaction between the 2 mods and never was intended for it. Also he was describing exactly what my tutorial explains how to do, he simply did not make a new entry for the armo and everytime the CK is closed it deletes the original armo entry because it no longer exhists.

"I'm trying to copy a piece of armor from one mod (esp file) to another mod (my own created esp file)." My tutorial explains exactly how to do this.

@Nomenclature, Hope the tutorial did show you what you missed. Also be sure you have permission to use the armor even if you dont actualy include it in the download if you are going to make it available here. personal use is ok to do whatever you want with it but just dont upload if no permission.

Oh, I have no intention of redistributing content. I only wanted to edit mods for personal use.

I have a 'thing' for armor mods. It's almost OCD, where as my character progresses, I like to make armors and collect them to proudly display in a show room filled in mannequins. Why I do this in a single player game where no one else will see the content, I'm not quite sure. :)

But what I don't like is how some armor mods have quests, and edited cells (dungeons, go kill this 'boss,' and so forth) that you have to go to in order to get the armor. I appreciate their effort, and I'm sure much of this kind of content is enjoyable, I'm just not interested playing through that content in order to get their armor.

So I wanted to figure out how to make my own mod file with item entries that point to their mesh and texture work so I could avoid having to add all those various dungeons and bosses and such. And your tutorial helped me with that greatly.

Gladly, I've also recently learned how to edit/add crafting and temper recipes as well. So that takes care of that.

Thanks again.

Yeah I pack all my armors into 1 single mod and have another for weapons, much cleaner load order that way. I also do the 2 COBJ entries as well, plus get rid of the stupid crafting requirements like need 36 iron ingots for boots, yes just the boots. to find the COBJ just right click the armor entry and select use report then look for COBJ in the list. then find the 2 entries and duplicate them. after duplicating edit the created item in the top corner to your new armor and mod the required items if they are crazy or make them crazy if you prefer them that way. takes but a moment to do them as well.

I suggest doing duplicates because if something goes wrong you can quickly compare to the original by loading the original mod up, and the CK wont have a fit about duplicate id's and arbitrarily change them on you.