Hi, I am looking for some help, I have tried looking all over the internet for videos and even talked to a person or two. I am working on a massive mod for Fallout 4 and I need to learn to import models for (Static, Armor, and Weapons) I am not a modeler most of my skills are in world design so I am pretty green when it comes to all the models. I have downloaded 100's of Models from sites that allow free asset use but I can figure out how to get them in creation kit properly every time I try the model is invisible.
Thanks for Any help
- Convert your free models to obj or fbx format (a useful site for converting is here.)
- Import the obj or fbx file to Blender. It might be necessary to constrain the mesh scale to 20 if the mesh is oversized.
- Select each individual mesh part and look at it carefully to check if it is made with triangular faces or not. If not, then use FACES->TRIANGULATE FACES to fix this. This is very important for the mesh to be visible in FO4.
- Check all the mesh parts to make sure they are UV mapped. If not, then unwrap them (I usually do a simple cube projection). There are Youtube tutorials out there...
- Export the model as obj.
- Import the edited obj into Outfit Studio.
- select EDIT->REMOVE SKINNING (n.b. only do this for meshes that don't require skinning, such as static objects etc).
- export the model as NIF.
- open the NIF in Nifskope.
- select each BSSubIndexTriShape and choose BLOCK->CONVERT->BETHESDA->BSTriShape. Again, this is only necessary for models that don't use skinning.
What I tend to do next is copy and paste mesh blocks from this nif into a nif from Fallout 4 that has a model with similar characteristics to the model I want to import, then I scale and transform the mesh parts, add the textures or material files, add a suitable collision, add any bells and whistles (such as snap points etc) and more often than not the mesh will work nicely in game.