CTDs and incorrect video card shown

Sparrowlord01

Hi Folks. I am hoping someone here can help me. I was unable to use skyrim for a while and when I started playing it again, now whenever I start the program, either through the launcher or skse, it crashes back to the desktop after the Bethesda Logo displays. I have tried disabling all my mods and actually deleting them, but it still happens. The one thing I did notice is that if I use the skyrim launcher, and og to the settings page, it displays my old video card, which I upgraded a fewq weeks ago. It shows my old ATI Radeon HD 4870x2 instead of my new HD 6970 card. I don't see any way to change this setting and I am wondering if this could be causing the issue. Does anyone know why it isn't detecting the new card and how I can change it?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Hi,

I'm glad if you already have your answer. Otherwise you can try what I did.

I used to have random shutdown during fast travel, loading saves or on the race menu. This is what eliminated my problems.

First I reinstalled the game and reset my setting to high from ultra.

I skipped using more than one similar mods, say only one facegen, one for hair, one for body. I picked only one of CBBE/UNP/others. Similar goes for companions built from CBBE (if I’m using CBBE)/ UNP (if UNP).

Try not to save during prisoner scenario. Lastly keep track of compatibility of different mods.

I’m new, so apologies if I’m wrong somewhere. Anyway I have more than 60 mods running on Skyrim without any disturbance. Thank you.

~Anvi.

Does your card show properly now on the .ini file?

If so, your crashes are probably related to your mods either needing to be ordered properly, or missing a required master file.

I'd go through and read the BOSS log, address any messages it gives you, place any unrecognized mods where the mod author instructs (or, if they don't give you any info on this, place with similar mods)

If it still crashes, post your BOSS log here.

If you still are having problems with your game not recognizing your gpu, then I would try verifying cache files and maybe a reinstall, to force the game to reread your computer specs.