⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Custom weapon/armor invisible in Creation Kit and game

Invctus

Hello!

Today I put together a custom armor set and textures but when I tried to get it in the game using the Creation Kit, it wouldn't show in the render window. In-game, it doesn't appear either, and when I try it on it makes the parts it would cover (legs, arm, torso) invisible.

On a similar note, I put together a custom weapon using modder's resources, and it shows up in the render window of the Creation Kit and the player inventory in-game, but when equipped the weapon (a greatsword) is invisible. My character is holding the invisible object as if it were a greatsword, and it does damage and makes the proper sound, but the model is invisible.

Any suggestions as to what may be going on? Attached is the problematic armor mesh (compressed as a .7z within a .zip_.

Thank you!

Edited by Invctus

I was working on a mod early today too whose models didn't show in the preview windows when selecting them. After saving and reloading, they showed up just fine. As far as being invisible when equipped that would be due to not putting the nif on to that gender's entry in the armor addon form.

There is one other possiblity for invisible armor. You need to apply the _1 version in the armor addon form. You cannot use the _0 version without at least copying and renaming it to _1.

There is one other possiblity for invisible armor. You need to apply the _1 version in the armor addon form. You cannot use the _0 version without at least copying and renaming it to _1.

Do you always have to have a _0 and a _1 nif file for an armor/cloth? Because I'm stuck with a hood http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/948513-invisible-custom-armor/ and maybe this is why my hood is invisible ingame.

Hello!

Today I put together a custom armor set and textures but when I tried to get it in the game using the Creation Kit, it wouldn't show in the render window. In-game, it doesn't appear either, and when I try it on it makes the parts it would cover (legs, arm, torso) invisible.

On a similar note, I put together a custom weapon using modder's resources, and it shows up in the render window of the Creation Kit and the player inventory in-game, but when equipped the weapon (a greatsword) is invisible. My character is holding the invisible object as if it were a greatsword, and it does damage and makes the proper sound, but the model is invisible.

Any suggestions as to what may be going on? Attached is the problematic armor mesh (compressed as a .7z within a .zip_.

Thank you!

Did you alter the mesh? Because maybe your normals are not facing outwards and then your textures are not applied correctly. What I have also seen is that the BS Num UV Sets of your NiTriStripsData is not 4097. And apparantly I've not yet seen a NiTriStripsData, only NiTriShapeData. But I'm not an experienced modder.

For weapons follow this tutorial I've never had any issues with weapons following this tutorial

Edited by db86

@db86

All armor pieces no matter the body part require a _0 & _1 mesh. The CK gets the _1 mesh applied in the addon form and it auto knows what to do with regards to the _0 mesh. In the case of head pieces that don't morph, just duplicate the _0 mesh and rename it as a _1 mesh. If you were to extract the Skyrim - Meshes.bsa and look at the armor/clothing contents you will see that every piece has a _0 & _1 nif file.

Whether or not the lack of using the _1 nif causes invisibility, I'm not 100% certain. It could, anything is possible. Could be something else too.

Thank you for the replies! Db86, I'm completely new to modding meshes and don't understand what you're saying lol...I just got 3ds Max a few days ago and have been playing around with it without having looked at a tutorial yet. The mesh I created is a modified version of an armor created by another modder (permission granted to mod his mesh). What I did was keep the chest and legs and replace the arms with the arms from the Steel Plate armor. I imported the 1stpersonnordplate armor mesh for the arms, though. Could that have caused problems?

It could be a problem with the skeleton, I had this issue too with some of my armors. Are you sure you have attached the skeleton properly like mention in tutorials (i.e. in Blender, Import skeleton while meshes are selected to parent it). Otherwise it could also be that there went something wrong while editing the .nif file, my meshes tend to appear ingame but are invisible when worn (even though I have a _0 and _1 file) and this can be caused by wrongly added dismemberment parts (it did for me) Edited by Hellscreamy

@db86

All armor pieces no matter the body part require a _0 & _1 mesh. The CK gets the _1 mesh applied in the addon form and it auto knows what to do with regards to the _0 mesh. In the case of head pieces that don't morph, just duplicate the _0 mesh and rename it as a _1 mesh. If you were to extract the Skyrim - Meshes.bsa and look at the armor/clothing contents you will see that every piece has a _0 & _1 nif file.

Whether or not the lack of using the _1 nif causes invisibility, I'm not 100% certain. It could, anything is possible. Could be something else too.

I suggest then you follow the tutorials of the following modders. They explain very well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LeckerHamster

http://www.youtube.com/user/officerbeardontcare

http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCc1uR5cVeo9oQHYnIJDk7fw

I'm watching the tutorials now...hopefully I'll learn what went wrong ;D Also, attached the the mesh for the problematic weapon (a greatsword, again saved as a .7z within a .zip). Does anyone know what the problem is? Thanks so much!