[WIP] Russell, a new companion by Someguy

someguy2000

The full version is now available for download - get it here!

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4048/russelltitle.jpg

RUSSELL

A companion mod by Someguy2000

General Description:

Russell features an in-depth, fully-voiced, male companion designed to enrich the player's experiences in the Mojave Wasteland. He is a former Desert Ranger who has turned to bounty hunting, and can be recruited at the 188 Trading Post.

Picture:

http://imageshack.us/a/img839/6859/russell01.jpg

Features:

- Full companion wheel functionality

- A new perk, "Swift and Silent", which grants +10% movement when sneaking, and increased damage when using rifles

- A new quest, "Hunter, Hunted", which involves a bounty on "Glanton", a former associate of The Judge (from NVBI)

- A new worldspace, "Mesquite Valley".

- Hundreds of lines of fully-voiced, lip-synced dialogue, performed by Someguy2000

- Multiple character arcs influenced by the player's dialogue and actions

- Dialogue includes commentary on vanilla locations, characters, and player interactions, as well as comparable content in all my existing mods (e.g., he will comment when you conclude select bounties)

Requirements:

- Someguyseries.esm

- Lonesome Road

- Honest Hearts

Voice Acting:

All roles are listed below. Please PM me if you'd like to audition for a part(s). If you've never worked with me, samples are a must.

Dramatis Personae:

1. Dobbs: The limping, technically savvy operator of the Silverwood General Store. Age: 30's/40's. Accent: neutral. Lines: ~15.

Sample:

{Surprised by the player's expertise}"Okay, okay. I guess it's not that big a deal. I'm just trying to eat, right? I'll put them up right now."

2. Glanton: CLOSED.

3. Handley: CLOSED.

4. Hobo Charlie: CLOSED.

5. Joe Briggs: CLOSED.

6. Miss Kat: CLOSED.

7. O'Doyle: CLOSED.

8. Sheriff Richardson: CLOSED.

9. Sullivan: CLOSED.

10. Parmley: CLOSED.

11. Titus Vulcanus: CLOSED.

12. Vickers: CLOSED

13. Finley: CLOSED.

14. Hendershot: CLOSED.

FAQ's:

Q: Are you trying to avoid Firebase Zulu? I need that mod, now!

A: I've already resumed work on Firebase Zulu. Russell was born out of feature creep in my NVB expansion, and I felt it warranted a separate plugin. Production is moving along briskly, though, so it shouldn't impede work on Zulu.

Q: Is Russell compatible with other companions?

A: As far as I know, yes.

Q: Is he going to die at the end?

A: No, he's designed to be a persistent companion, and is scripted to comment on your actions throughout vanilla and modded gameplay.

Q: Is he balanced?

A: In so far as I can tell, yes. You can always tweak his stats in the GECK if you're dissatisfied.

Q: So, is this guy Boone 2.0?

A: No, he's a bit more talkative, and has a unique origin story involving the Desert Rangers. However, he does share similar hatred for the Legion.

Q: Can Legion-friendly players recruit Russell?

A: Yes, though he requires you to publically renounce the Legion, and you'll take a reputation hit.

Q: When will this mod be released?

A: Soon, possibly before the end of the month. As of 04/03/2013, he's fully-functional, with all his combat and location barks in place. I'm in the process of implementing his questline, which will take at least a week or two, depending on VA requirements.

Q: Will you be updating this companion regularly?

A: Yes, as he will be some additional glue that ties all my mods together. When I release Firebase Zulu, there will be a fresh patch for Russell that includes barks and commentary dependent on that plugin.

Q: Shouldn't he be an NCR Ranger? The Desert Rangers were officially absorbed into their ranks in 2271.

A: Not everyone went along with the Ranger Unification Treaty...

Q: Does he sing?

A: NO

Questions, suggestions, and feedback are always welcome. I look forward to rolling out my first companion mod within the coming weeks.

Edited by someguy2000

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was wonderin when this here companion of yours would show up with his own WIP thread. Russell will certainly be a welcome addition to my party once he's released.

So, here are a few questions in the meantime:

How will Russell integrate into the Inheritance? I can easily see him slotting into the first parts of the main quest, and all the sidequests that follow, but the majority of the Inheritance is centered around the player and Bradley, particularly in the Enclave Bunker.

Does Russell have his own agenda while you are traveling with him, or is he simply wandering the wasteland?

Does he demand you split the bounties from your mods with him? I think that might help him seem like his own character, instead of just a companion.

How wordy will Russell be about player choices and interactions in the vanilla game? If I kill Caesar, for example, will he holler Hallelujah and dance a little jig over his corpse? If the answer is no, why not? Will he at least deliver me some wordy words of thanks and such, and perhaps cuss the old bastard out one last time?

How many Cormac McCarthy references will your mods top out with?

How much feature creep do you expect to see with this mod? If quite a bit, then why are you stalling with Zulu and NVBIII? If little, then why are you holding out on the full experience with us?

End of the month? Really? Nice.

Yeah, I'm excited.

Edited by Stormbringer13

@Stormbringer13,

Excellent questions, I'll address them individually:

How will Russell integrate into the Inheritance? I can easily see him slotting into the first parts of the main quest, and all the sidequests that follow, but the majority of the Inheritance is centered around the player and Bradley, particularly in the Enclave Bunker.

He will have a minimalist presence in the main quest, save a few comments on Bradley, and the aftermath of the encounter in the Las Vegas Arsenal. He will, however, have much to say regarding the sidequests, particularly "Repaid in Full".

Does Russell have his own agenda while you are traveling with him, or is he simply wandering the wasteland?

The setup is that the trail on Glanton ran cold, so he's been subsisting as a caravan guard and mercenary in the meantime (hence his presence at the 188, and middling familiarity with the Mojave).

Does he demand you split the bounties from your mods with him? I think that might help him seem like his own character, instead of just a companion.

No, only the bounty on Glanton, and perhaps future bounties designed as joint affairs.

How wordy will Russell be about player choices and interactions in the vanilla game? If I kill Caesar, for example, will he holler Hallelujah and dance a little jig over his corpse? If the answer is no, why not? Will he at least deliver me some wordy words of thanks and such, and perhaps cuss the old bastard out one last time?

I'm aiming for pithiness, as Russell leans toward the laconic in his assessments. But yes, he will have unique remarks specific to vanilla events, insofar as scripting enables it (I hesitate to add bits to vanilla NPC scripts, for example).

How many Cormac McCarthy references will your mods top out with?

How much feature creep do you expect to see with this mod? If quite a bit, then why are you stalling with Zulu and NVBIII? If little, then why are you holding out on the full experience with us?

1. That depends on my level of inebriation when penning dialogue...

2. At this stage, I don't anticipate the monstrous amounts of feature creep I accumulated in The Inheritance or the NVB update. There's not much stalling on Zulu now that the NVB update is mostly finished. I've already resumed work on it. ;)

@Llama,

Thank you, I appreciate it, especially coming from a fellow modder. :)

I'm aiming for pithiness, as Russell leans toward the laconic in his assessments. But yes, he will have unique remarks specific to vanilla events, insofar as scripting enables it (I hesitate to add bits to vanilla NPC scripts, for example).

Yes, it can sometimes be a quite difficult to get the reaction you want exactly when you want it via script.

@Llama,

Thank you, I appreciate it, especially coming from a fellow modder. :smile:

Yes, well, I'm anticipating loving him as much as I did Bradley since you are writing him, but without the same outcome and with lots more companion-y goodness. Seems like a win for me :)

Thanks for the replies. While that particular question was somewhat in jest, I actually grin every time I see the words feature creep in one of your updates, as it always means new, wholesome, quality content is coming. Oh, and just seeking a little extra clarification here, during the Inheritance would Russell be able to enter the Las Vegas Arsenal, or would it be up to the player to leave him behind?

I'm not sure what I'm more excited for, the NVBounties update, Russell, or Zulu. Having a hard time deciding whether I should wait till Russell and the Bounties are up, or the release of Firebase Zulu, or hell even NVBIII, till I start my next FNV playthrough.

Best of luck, and a thousand endorsements upon you.

Thanks for the replies. While that particular question was somewhat in jest, I actually grin every time I see the words feature creep in one of your updates, as it always means new, wholesome, quality content is coming. Oh, and just seeking a little extra clarification here, during the Inheritance would Russell be able to enter the Las Vegas Arsenal, or would it be up to the player to leave him behind?

Thanks, brother.

To answer your question: anywhere the player goes, Russell will go. That has the potential to render plot holes (the example you gave is something that's crossed my mind), but I'll try to work around such episodes as best as possible. We'll see, though.