Plugin Ghosting

Guest deleted34304850

Guest deleted34304850

In this post, Picky suggests using the new 'ghosting' feature in Vortex 1.4; https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/9730338-vortex-plugin-sorting-speed/

I've seen this, but not got around to using it.

If I have a plugin in installed status, I know what will happen. If I have a plugin in disabled status, I believe that LOOT will reference that during its sorting.

If I have a plugin in UNINSTALLED or NEVER INSTALLED status, I believe that LOOT will not reference this.

what is the difference that GHOST status adds? It's obviously slightly different to disabled/uninstalled/never installed, but what is that difference?

A plugin can't be "uninstalled" or "never installed", you're confusing plugins with mods.

If a mod is uninstalled, it's files are not on disk and thus of course LOOT will not sort the plugin because there is no plugin to sort.

Ghosting a plugin technically just means that the plugin gets renamed (foobar.esp.ghost) and thus can't get loaded by the game.

At least older games like Oblivion apparently load plugins or at least waste some time on startup on disabled plugins so even a disabled plugin might have an effect on the game or at least negatively affect load times.

Therefore "ghost" is kind of like the communities "actually disabled" state for plugins. The traditional "disabled" is more like "disabled unless the game has other ideas because Bethesda".

To my knowledge LOOT also supports ghosted plugins so it shouldn't make a difference for loot whether the plugin is disabled or ghost-ed.

Guest deleted34304850

my bad on the mod/plugin status.

thanks for this explanation. I like this new feature. Now I have to create a scenario to play with it.

seemingly "small" changes like this make vortex such a joy to work with. thanks again.

This is a great feature for at least older games, while I've never seen any evidence of disabled esps/esms being loaded they sure increase the initial loading times, I had over 100 disabled and moving them to different folder decreased the initial loading time substantially.

• 5 months later...

Esp merged files become disabled. What would be the advantage of using ghost mode in these files and would hinder their execution?

My limit is 512 esp active/desactive (merged), after this it gives error in existing saves. Active I have 212. If you put the 300 disabled as ghost they will not enter the list and still run on the merged file?

Edited by Tegialan