ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

Valve/Steam could have done so much worse.....at least they are giving some money to the little guys who ease the burden of the Steam Download Servers (lets be honest.... even EA games is considered a "little guy" when faced with Valve titanic mass, and we let EA do things to us we wouldn't let any other person do). Still not happy with this "pay for workshop mods" thing, but hey.... at least they aren't saying "this is how it is, this is how it will stay, and if you don't like it then try 'n' leave... you'll be back".

If you ask me valve makes enough money as it is, I mean the vaults that store all of Blizzard's WoW subscription money stockpile and EA game's "first day DLC" and "ON DISK DLC" stockpiles together wouldn't even put a dent in Valve's Money Vaults, but then again I don't work for them and I'm not seeing any of it, I might end up changing my opinion if I were on the payroll but somehow I don't think me being employed by Valve will happen any time soon.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24677024.

VinebearDOVA wrote:

My personal take is that Valve gave them a offer they couldn't refuse... i.e. join us or we will crush you. Some people are (justifiably) angry and scared because they feel this means an inevitable slope towards the end of free modding and its communities.

Others see this as something that was really unavoidable but hope that with solidarity and a clear message we can demand our own terms as users/modders.

Some think its too late and have given up.

A few think this the best thing to happen to the community. They are of course in the minority :P

In response to post #24676599. #24676769, #24676814, #24676969 are all replies on the same post.

MrGrymReaper wrote:
sunshinenbrick wrote: Totally agree! I've been trying to get this message across as soon as I read the article.
bigdeano89 wrote: While I don't agree with the whole "death of modding" thought, many mods are still free and more are coming out everyday, I do agree we should all stop fighting and focus on constructively criticizing Bethesda and Valve for their whole approach to this mess. Like Gopher said, no one likes jump scares, and this was a massive one :)
sunshinenbrick wrote: Agree on the abuse thing... but that is inevitable when such passion is involved. It is a relief that they are actually communicating with the community. Just imagine what trying to talk to Google would be like???

@all - Also it is necessary to stand together as much as possible for as it is said:

"United we stand and divided we fall."

Edited by MrGrymReaper

Wait a moment PLEASE. Can someone please tell me in brief what is actually happening to the nexus and the workshop, because when I read the article he seemed to contradict himself the entire time. So being a bit confused can someone give me the true and honest answer :D.

It's quite simple. Steam have set a system to allow modders to receive payment for their work. Said model has inspired various levels of revulsion and upset.

Nexus is allowed to receive 5% of Valve's cut, if the mod author chooses. The Dark0ne has stated that mod's will remain free on the Nexus, as is the case now. Some people view the aspect of Nexus receiving money from Valve as upsetting and have expressed their views on this.

Oh and there have, multiple incidents of gross ***hattery ranging from mild protests, to threats to life, limb, etc. Also Epic levels of Nerd rage. So a standard day in gaming.

Edited by Penfold187

The future of modding:

Some will create mods for the money, some will do it freely for the love of modding.

Coming soon:

Free mods will be like freeware apps are now, pale shadows of what paid software is. Pirating of mods will be a thing (it already is, in fact). Paid mods will be subject to DRM. Some games will block mods that aren't subjected to the same DRM the game itself is.

A bit farther out:

The only free mods will be for free games. No mods for DRM games will be free, at the very least players will be forced into a subscription model.

There will be no legal legitimate middle ground, except for paid games that do not utilize DRM. Those games will be in the extreme minority.