underwater curiousity

RoNin1971

I've been looking around the CW for a suitable location to put down the entrance to a vault I'm working on.

... but hardly anything really suits me. It's either to close to one of the existing vaults, or the area needs to much work, or there are a ton of mods using that location already. Preferably i just want to drop a rock with cave entrance on the map, maybe add some detonator to open it up, but nothing more. To prevent conflicts and keep editing the wilderness or any other location to a minimum. Besides that I would like to have 2 or 3 other exits, like vault 88.

Of course I need to know all that -before- I start working on the actual vault. (So far it's just the assets I've been working on, although I've built quite a few prototypes & test vaults & caves)

So, I'm getting more and more inclined to use the 20% of the map where there is practically nothing. Under the sea.

Which brings me to the cut content of '20 leagues under the sea' - Vault 120

Which I've been researching for a few days now, and dislike Beth more and more with each new part i learn / discover about it. WHY? (did they cut it, why didn't they make it a DLC, it would have been awesome!)

Warning: there are some spoilers ahead!

What I've learned about it so far:

Deacon talks about it: "Chinese sub, an under sea vault and a daring rescue"

Other info too, points to the player using the sub and a harpoon to fight of 'drones', a goulified blue whale, giant squid and/or Dolphins

There is speculation that Nahant had a major role (based on a Institute terminal entry), but I have my doubts. Might as well have been a terminal entry with a bit of lore (at the Nahant location).

There is some mention about using the sub to locate it and the possibility of crashing the sub into the vault (which would be bad).

And there is of course the squid window, marine door, harpoon gun and a truckload of blue vault pieces which you can only find within the meshes file structure.

I've watched a few video's about it and checked a guy who claims to have mapped the entire ocean floor. 100ish% (well,make that 99ish%, as i found a little bit more)

I did my own 'swimming around' following the pipes (with lights to guide you down, from 2 directions) and all, in search of 'remnants' and what likely was supposed to be the location, and for a better/faster overview I've been looking all over the place with CK. its intriguing whats down there, but no real X marks the spot, well ok, the bottle quest by that name is there, yes :P ) ... and there are a few features that nobody ever mentioned (at least, not that i found any comments about it)

I found open pipes, not just 1 (with doorways (but no doors), not just a broken pipe or something) and with a door you need to open to get in (1 used by another bottle quest)

But most curious, and somehow never mentioned, are 2 valves. Actual 'activator' valves. 2 of the 5 used within the game (the other 3 being at 1 location, so these are rare and serve 'a purpose') In proximity of the 'strange sphere' everybody does talk about (which is just the DC water tower model) and not very far from another feature which just has to be a remnant. 2 big air inlets!, of which one is broken and sunk.

Another possibly involved feature is a 'floating' structure/platform on top of a square concrete 'chimney' with a (overgrown) hole in the middle.

I've been searching around for existing mods who try to (re)create what apparently should have been vault 120. But found non. Just a lot of started but never finished attempts, besides a lot of comments about people who would Love to see it. Many (old) hopes for it to be release as a DLC, but that of course never happened.

Based on all this info, i can think of a 'story' of how it was supposed to go down.

Instead of having a reactor problem, or maybe as a 'next' problem, you where supposed to find the sub, which can't leave because it is hunted by the 'blue whale' and has to seek refuge inside the harbor.

Zao and you then need to kill the whale and/or a bunch of drones (UUV's). While scanning the ocean for the whale, you discover a 'structure' (the vault). Possibly contact is established (by radio or you going down there to investigate) and there are people alive down there, but they need your help against the giant squid. who destroyed one of the air inlets, and flooded part of the vault, while trying to get in for a meal. To save them you need to close the valves, and fight of the dolphins/squid, using the harpoon gun. A sub, a vault and a daring rescue. (and of course, another settlement which no longer needs our help :P )

Now, i wasn't actually about to do just that, as i lack the skill and knowledge for such a project, but boy, i would love to by now.

So, i'm curious, why has it never been done?

I understand some parts where and still are between hard and impossible to accomplish (they abandoned it for a reason (?)) like, there are no fish, at all. (and the mod that added them seems troubled. (dolphins 'swimming' on dry land and all)

... but far harbor has fish, so it might be possible. Underwater combat would still be a real challenge though. (not to mention modeling/texturing and animating said monsters)

I would settle for a 'quest' without "ol'peg", and omitting shooting torpedoes from a Chinese sub. (to stick with deacon, there should however be some connection (Zao informs you about it, or there is a terminal entry about it onboard)

If done well, it could be the biggest hit of a mod ever created for FO4. I think. (especially if the seamonsters ARE there to fight, but that would be as hard as it is awesome)

I'm not going to make this a 'mod request', but I am curious as to who else would like to try and 'make it happen', as i would happily offer my service to work on the models, textures, animations and create the vault (as I'm already doing that in a way) and work on a 'storyline' but i have yet to learn a lot more about Papyrus, quests, dialogs and character creation to even try it on my own. (...and cloning myself & slowing down time, so me, myself and i could do it within one lifetime)

IF i where to try. (currently it would be way to ambitious for just me, imho) Just feeling the water here ;)