Vanilla version doesn't work after modding

Chamucoman

Here's the problem, recently i got a new pc so i tried to add simple mods to oblivion (steam version), specifically: darnified UI and books, oblivion character overhaul (with blockhead), unofficial patch and obse. The thing is i also added the 4gb patch and other stuff like boss, wrye bash and omm. I tried to follow all the instructions for each installation and i thought i did it right, when i started the game it crashed, so i removed the mods with omm. I tried to start the game again but crashed again.

In the end i deleted all the files (mod managers and mods), uninstalled and installed again but it kept crashing, i tried to delete essential files and verify it but it didn't work, i also deleted save files and deactivated the steam cloud but nothing changes

Did i really messed up everything or there's something i can try?

Either rename or delete Oblivion.ini and then start the game so that it creates a new one. Uninstalling UI mods doesn't undo the changes they make to Oblivion.ini and those changes can cause crashes after re-installing the game (uninstalling the game doesn't remove Oblivion.ini).

I tried all of the above and the thing is:

1. I already had anti-aliasing off

2. Installed obse again now with messagelogger and it doesn't report anything

3. I renamed the .ini file and after another try i decided to delete it but when i start the game it doesn't create a new one

Thanks for the help tho

Edited by Chamucoman

Did you rename/delete Oblivion.ini or Oblivion_Default.ini (the first one is correct, the second is not correct)?

Did you rename/delete Oblivion.ini or Oblivion_Default.ini (the first one is correct, the second is not correct)?

For some reason i only have Oblivion_Default. I tried to rename it to just Oblivion.ini but i think it doesn't change anything and to answer your question, i did both and then verify it with steam, now i have Oblivion and Oblivion_Default :confused:

Quick update, just for mere curiosity i opened vortex (at first i thought i could install mods with it but didn't try it) and showed up this:

Check Failed

Fonts referenced in oblivion.ini don't seem to be installed: Data
\Fonts\DarN_Ringbearer_22.fnt
Data
\Fonts\DarN_Kingthings_Petrock_14.fnt Data\Fonts\DarN_Kingthings_Petrock_16.fnt Data\Fonts\DarN_Oblivion_28.fnt

I suppose this is related to Darnified UI and Books but i don't think i should ignore this

Oblivion.ini is located in your Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder. The game uses the Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion_Default.ini to create Oblivion.ini when you install the game the first time (or recreate it if it can't find Oblivion.ini in the Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder). I can't say whether or not Steam will restore Oblivion_Default.ini when you re-install as I've never had the Steam version of the game (a disk guy here).

If you don't see the file extension (the .ini part) it is because you have the option turned on to hide file extensions for known file types (if you right click on the file and select Properties from the right click menu you will see the file extension displayed in the Properties dialogue).

That error is what I suspected was at the root of the problem (leftovers from the UI mod install in Oblivion.ini that prevent menus from being displayed once the UI mod is uninstalled). Get your Oblivion_Default.ini restored in the game's Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion folder and only then try renaming Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini to Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Old_Oblivion.ini and then start the game. Exit the game and then confirm that it has created a new Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini (and you can use Notepad to open it and the renamed Old_Oblivion.ini to compare and if you wish transfer settings from the Old_Oblivion.ini to the new Oblivion.ini ... just don't transfer any of the Font stuff).

Oblivion.ini is located in your Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder. The game uses the Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion_Default.ini to create Oblivion.ini when you install the game the first time (or recreate it if it can't find Oblivion.ini in the Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder). I can't say whether or not Steam will restore Oblivion_Default.ini when you re-install as I've never had the Steam version of the game (a disk guy here).

If you don't see the file extension (the .ini part) it is because you have the option turned on to hide file extensions for known file types (if you right click on the file and select Properties from the right click menu you will see the file extension displayed in the Properties dialogue).

That error is what I suspected was at the root of the problem (leftovers from the UI mod install in Oblivion.ini that prevent menus from being displayed once the UI mod is uninstalled). Get your Oblivion_Default.ini restored in the game's Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion folder and only then try renaming Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini to Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Old_Oblivion.ini and then start the game. Exit the game and then confirm that it has created a new Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini (and you can use Notepad to open it and the renamed Old_Oblivion.ini to compare and if you wish transfer settings from the Old_Oblivion.ini to the new Oblivion.ini ... just don't transfer any of the Font stuff).

OMG thank you so much now it runs perfectly :laugh: