Custom NPC assistance required...

Grabstein

Is it just me or does this level of "micro-managing" surpass that of Oblivion?

It's always been like this. The one thing that hasn't changed much from FO3/FNV/Oblivion is Radiant AI. You think it's hard managing AI package stacks for a few NPCs, try 52... :smile:

Edited by ripple

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K, there's nothing overtly wrong with the cell. I have no idea what would make them 'spawn' in a bunch in only one of the rooms. But if you've set them to sandbox within the whole cell, you'll need to put more idle markers in each room, stuff they can interact with such as sweep markers. Chairs they can sit on, wall lean markers, whatever you want. Right now, the only room that seems to have anything much to interact with is exactly the room the spawn in.

As for the sleep package, try selecting a specific bed and not an xmarker. If they still won't go to bed, something's blocking them from doing so. It could be cell ownership issues. If by 'the cell is owned by myself' you mean 'player', that might be it. Like I said, I have no experience with player homes. But try setting cell ownership to 'playerfaction' and put them all in the same faction.

Pretty sure your issues can be fixed. Things would be vastly simpler if you could just send along the file for someone to have a look at. Don't worry about the master file. And you can always send a PM if you don't want to put a public link.

Great Googlie Mooglie, Batman! I *never* thought of additional idle markers! Gah!! Thanks for pointing that out!

I'm thinking that I'll just make a sleep package for each NPC. It's not that difficult or time consuming. Yes, also, the cell is Ownership is set to PlayerFaction. It is set to the Keywords LocTypeDwelling, LocTypeInn and LocTypePlayerHouse.

Yeah, I'm working on making the thing a stand-alone, too.

Alright. I added additional idle markers all over the place. At least 3 in each room. Without changing *anything* else, the "clumping" is gone. Everybody's moving freely, except my vendor, who's set for a small radius. Thanks for the idea, NoN. I've still gotta work on the sleep packages and get the name-calling to stop. The name-calling *could* have something to do with multiple uses of a single package?

Nnnno...doesn't seem likely that it's because of multiple uses of the same package. Vanilla NPCs share a number of identical packages - all those default sleep and eat and whatnot packages, and they don't call us names, do they.

I'm almost sure it has to do with cell ownership or faction issues. Best course of action - study one of the vanilla homes. Breezehome, for e.g, has no cell ownership, is marked 'public' and its front door is owned by playerfaction, locked with required key. Download one of the many custom home mods and poke around in its innards, preferably one that has the same stuff going on, bard, vendor and so on.

And you're most welcome, Grabs. :)

Nnnno...doesn't seem likely that it's because of multiple uses of the same package. Vanilla NPCs share a number of identical packages - all those default sleep and eat and whatnot packages, and they don't call us names, do they.

I'm almost sure it has to do with cell ownership or faction issues. Best course of action - study one of the vanilla homes. Breezehome, for e.g, has no cell ownership, is marked 'public' and its front door is owned by playerfaction, locked with required key. Download one of the many custom home mods and poke around in its innards, preferably one that has the same stuff going on, bard, vendor and so on.

And you're most welcome, Grabs. :smile:

Yeah, I've had that stuff set, already. Still getting the name-calling. :-/ I, also, need to work on the sleep issue. I'm giving up on the name-calling, for now.

Do you have wander set on in you sandbox options? That seems to stop them from using furniture and idle markers.

Yes, wander is turned on.

Alright. Everybody is sandboxing just fine. My bard, though, won't *stop* sandboxing to eat or sleep, even though eating and sleeping take presidents. I've changed beds, as the Dwemer doubles don't seem to have activators, for NPCs. Also, each bed is assigned to an NPC. Sometimes, they'll go to bed, but not all. A few that do go to bed will get up after a minute. This is *really* getting frustrating. Yes, I'm working, still, on making this a stand-alone mod, for trouble-shooting purposes.