We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Remove Canteens from Combat Armor

aurreth

I know there's a mod someplace that removes the canteen from either the medium or heavy combat armor (can't remember which), but I'd really like it removed from ALL combat armor. Having served in the Army I can tell you categorically that no one would ever put their canteen there, where it's hard to reach while wearing armor and makes it really uncomfortable to sit down. I like the pouches, but the canteen is ugly, in the wrong place, and needs to go.

Given that most of the water to be found is radioactive, wouldn't carrying around some water you know is safe make sense?

Maybe there's a better spot someone can move it to?

Well ignoring the fact that after 200 years there wouldn't actually be any radioactive, running water (water itself can't be radioactive, and 200 years would have washed all alpha contamination to the sea), a canteen is normally attached at either the side (gets in the way of arms, so not preferred) or on the left or right hip (above the buttocks). There used to be issued buttpacks that went dead-center back, but no one used them because, again, they get in the way of sitting down. No one wants a big lump or pointy canteen poking them in the small of the back.

Anyway there are wearable canteen mods. They could always be added back, using a mod which makes them actually functional. Right now they are just an eyesore.

I've tried removing them with Nifskope but that doesn't work (entire armor mesh becomes invisible), and for the life of me I can't figure out how to do more than select the vertices in Outfit Studio (all Outfit Studio tutorials assume you are f*#@ing psychic and know exactly what they are talking about and what button does what).

It's simple to do it in Outfit Studio:

1. Load the armor in Outfit Studio

2. Click on the "Mask Vertices" icon

3. Zoom in on the canteen in the "editor area"

4. In the menu bar, click on Tool > Decrease Brush Size (you can also decrease the brush size by pressing Shift + - )

5. Select the vertices of the canteen. Important: make sure not to select the armor. You have to be precise, so this can take a while..

6. After you're done, click on Tool > Invert Mask

7. Click on Silder > New Zap Slider. A window should pop up (Create New Zap). Click on OK. Now, there should be a zap slider called "NewZap" under "De-/Select Sliders"

8. Click on the "pencil icon" to edit the zap slider. Press the Tab button on your keyboard to open the "Slider Properties" window. On this window, change the slider's value to 100. Click on OK.

9. In the menu bar, click on File > "Save Project As...". Save your project. Close Outfit Studio.

10. Open BodySlide. Click on the "Outfit/Body" dropdown menu and choose the project.

11. You can view it by clicking on the "Preview" button. To create the final version, click on "Build".

BodySlide sometimes doesn't like the "Enter" button.. so always use your mouse. Selected vertices are saved only (that's why inverting is important).

Thanks. Of course the canteen-less armor didn't show up in BodySlide, I can't figure out where it was saved to, and there is no list of recent projects in Outfit Studio....

Ok, the New Zap Slider. It was already at 100 when created. Hitting tab after clicking the pencil icon next to it to bring up the Slider Properties window, there was no place to set anything to 100. Just check boxes for things like Zap, Hidden, um, two or three others.

Also, in BodySlide I get no preview and no sliders.

Edit: Redid it, found it in BodySlide, new zap slider showed up. Of course I had named it "Canteen", and in BodySlide it is "New Zap" for some reason. That's the only slider that showed. Built it and logged in, canteen is gone in game, although there is a weird bump in the belt where it used to be. I know how to fix that in Outfit Studio, but I need the canteen to be gone to do that. Sigh. This is why I leave playing with meshes to other people lol

Edited by aurreth

Given that most of the water to be found is radioactive, wouldn't carrying around some water you know is safe make sense?

Maybe there's a better spot someone can move it to?

Â

Well ignoring the fact that after 200 years there wouldn't actually be any radioactive, running water (water itself can't be radioactive, and 200 years would have washed all alpha contamination to the sea)...

<snip>

Except in the game almost all food and drink gives you rads. No matter how much you argue it shouldn't be, it's a core concept of the game. Drinking water shouldn't heal wounds either, but again....

If your argument is "I don't like how it looks" then by all means get rid of it. But claims that a canteen is useless without changing a core element of the game world seem inaccurate. Again though mods are out there that do just that, so if you've removed rads from water - and otherwise made "wild" water safe to drink unpurified - or are RPing that it's the case and ignoring the mechanics, then go for it.

Um, my argument was "I don't like how it looks".

Having served in the Army I can tell you categorically that no one would ever put their canteen there, where it's hard to reach while wearing armor and makes it really uncomfortable to sit down. I like the pouches, but the canteen is ugly, in the wrong place, and needs to go.

Also

Anyway there are wearable canteen mods. They could always be added back, using a mod which makes them actually functional. Right now they are just an eyesore.

I never said change a core mechanic. I said it is nonsensical, but ignoring that fact the damn canteen is in the wrong place, as a veteran that bothers me, and I want to remove it.

Removing it is easier than moving it to the back left hip where it belongs, where you can take out and replace the canteen one handed while keeping your firing hand on your weapon. Where it is now you can't reach the right side snap to secure the canteen back in place with just your left hand.

You're a well respected modder Gruffydd, you want to correct me on a technical issue I will humbly listen and learn. But this is a purely cosmetic, based on personal preference and years of real life experience with the items I want modified.

Edited by aurreth

<snip>

...the damn canteen is in the wrong place, as a veteran that bothers me, and I want to remove it.

<snip>

Hey, if you want to get rid of it, that's your deal. Matters not to me.

All I'd suggested in the first place was that, given that there's a perfectly good reason to have a canteen in the Wasteland, and the canteen is in the wrong place, and you were asking someone to do modding for you, maybe there's a better place for the canteen to go. Obviously with your experience you know where that spot should be. I wasn't trying to start some big debate. I only commented about the rads thing when you responded to my suggestion that someone might be able to move the canteen to the correct spot for you with a spiel about how water shouldn't be radioactive. Whatever you want to do, if you can convince someone to mod it for you or figure it out on your own, you do. It's your game.