Lost ability to access Morrowind folder

DBKage

Hello All,

In order to install mods, I took file ownership of my Morrowind folder. I seem to have done something incorrectly as I can no longer access the files. I receive the error "the system cannot access the files." I would just change the file ownership back, but the security table is no longer available for the folder. I receive the message "The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be displayed"

Anyone run into this when taking ownership of the folder?

Yeah it sounds like what Dragon32 suggested. Where did you install Morrowind? If you install it in a folder on your desktop you should have full permissions. Are you using a mod manager?

Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

Although I am not sure on the root cause here, I imagine it was some challenge associated with Microsoft protections of Xbox GamePass PC files and modding. I was able to regain access to the folders by booting in Safe Mode and then re-enabling inheritance on the folder permissions. The permissions to me looked like they should have been fine before I took this step, but that is how I was able to regain access.

I was not successful using ICACLS or leveraging error checking.

I wanted to come back and post this solution for those that my find this thread in the future.