ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

In BOSS, what are Bash tags, and what am I supposed to do...

CaptainPatch

Well, I can't see how the UAC would be interfering as it is set at the bottom setting (never notify).

BTW, did you catch my Panic attack? Trying to start Skyrim with a Load saved game 1) popped up the notification that because of the mod deletions, EVERY saved game would be altered, but then if I clicked Yes to proceed, there was a CTD, _every_ time. I finally realized that it was because the skse_loader.exe target was going _directly_ into Main Menu, bypassing the Steam synchronization menu (where you can uncheck mods in Data Files). I had to have Steam reset its shortcut target (with the game ID) to get things working again. So that leaves me wondering just how I'm supposed to get SKSE started and functional when it requires skse_loader.exe to get started.

Going to _try_ to download Wrye Bash again. Expect me to return with warning messages.

LATER. Surprisingly (given my track history) that went fairly smoothly. It popped the stock warning about placing the files directly into the Program Files (x86)\....\Skyrim\ path (which I ignored). I pulled the Wrye Bash shortcut from the Start Menu and placed it on the desktop along with BOSS and TES5Edit. Now the question is, what do I do with it now? [i still have to sort out SKSE and SkyUI.]

Edited by CaptainPatch

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I can't see how the UAC would be interfering as it is set at the bottom setting (never notify).

BTW, did you catch my Panic attack? Trying to start Skyrim with a Load saved game 1) popped up the notification that because of the mod deletions, EVERY saved game would be altered, but then if I clicked Yes to proceed, there was a CTD, _every_ time. I finally realized that it was because the skse_loader.exe target was going _directly_ into Main Menu, bypassing the Steam synchronization menu (where you can uncheck mods in Data Files). I had to have Steam reset its shortcut target (with the game ID) to get things working again. So that leaves me wondering just how I'm supposed to get SKSE started and functional when it requires skse_loader.exe to get started.

You shouldn't use the Skyrim launcher (where you adjust the game settings) to launch your game anymore, now that you have SKSE. Either way, the launcher doesn't launch the game but also closes and launches TESV.exe when you 'start game' via the launcher. I am assuming you are using a mod manager like NMM or the Mod Organizer, and either one of those can be set up to launch the game with SKSE. So finalize your game settings in the launcher then don't touch it anymore. Your save game CTDs resulting from uninstalled mods isn't related to SKSE. It's because mods will leave orphan data in the save games even after they have been uninstall, and some mods come with rather elaborate papyrus scripts which will leave orphan script data in the save game that cannot be cleaned even after a complete cell reset, causing irreversible damage to save games.

Assuming you have SKSE set up correctly now, try starting a new game, and see if you can get through the Helgan tutorial without a CTD.

... the launcher doesn't launch the game but also closes and launches TESV.exe when you 'start game' via the launcher. I am assuming you are using a mod manager like NMM or the Mod Organizer, and either one of those can be set up to launch the game with SKSE. So finalize your game settings in the launcher then don't touch it anymore. Your save game CTDs resulting from uninstalled mods isn't related to SKSE. It's because mods will leave orphan data in the save games even after they have been uninstall, and some mods come with rather elaborate papyrus scripts which will leave orphan script data in the save game that cannot be cleaned even after a complete cell reset, causing irreversible damage to save games.

Now, I don't see how that can be the case. Once the CTDs were clearly going to happen, the ONLY change I made was to re-target the shortcut from skse_loader.exe to the Steam game ID path, thereafter the game started without incident. That indicates to me that the root cause of the CTDs was with skse_loader.exe. Or possibly starting a Steam game requires a Steam launcher. Either way, it doesn't seem to be at all the case that there are any orphan files causing CTDs. (Though they might be the cause of some of the occasional freezes my wife was experiencing this afternoon. CORRECTION. She meant "jerky video" rather than "freeze".)

I think I'm still some distance out from being able to try the Helgan tutorial. I've still got SkyUI to integrate into the mesh... and I still have to figure out how all these "overseer" mods mesh together. Plus there are at least 8 Bash "suggestions" that need to be addressed.

ADDENDA. Color me Confused. As a test, I went directly to the skse_loader.exe file and launched the game from there. Managed to Load a saved game with NO problems. So why was it when that same file was the target of the Skyrim shortcut, what I invariably got was a CTD? To my VERY limited knowledge, it should be that using the launcher either way should ALWAYS cause a CTD, or NEVER. ["Hmm. "To err is Human; to _really_ foul things up takes a computer."]

Edited by CaptainPatch

Starting the game does require Steam but Steam does not actually launch the game itself. It just provides a 'shortcut' to the game executable (in this case, TESV.exe). Regardless, launch the game only using the SKSE loader (no shortcuts, just that 'SKSE_loader.exe'). It's suppose to work fine 'out of the box' as long as it is installed into the correct directory. I am actually getting a bit confused by the issue you reported. I don't know why you CTD when you load a save after lauching the SKSE loader, but I need you to try starting a new game so we can ascertain if the problem is the save games or something else.

Edited by ripple

Okay then. I didn't particularly like the idea of having to open Windows Explorer and trace that C, Program Files (x86), Steam, steamapps, common, Skyrim path EVERY time I want to start the game, so I right-clicked the skse_loader.exe file and did a "Send to Desktop (create shortcut)", which leaves the file in that Skyrim folder, but allows me to one-click to start the game.

Game starts fine, even with the Alternate Start mod up and running. Played a new MC with no problems.

I really don't know the CTDs were happening either. I did discover that the actual .exe file had disappeared from the Skyrim folder through no action of mine (that I am aware of). So I pulled the file from the Download folder and dropped it to where it belongs. But since the skse_loader had been the target, how did the game even start to go to Main Menu? Withe .exe NOT present, the shortcut wouldn't have been able to execute.

What next?

Okay then. I didn't particularly like the idea of having to open Windows Explorer and trace that C, Program Files (x86), Steam, steamapps, common, Skyrim path EVERY time I want to start the game, so I right-clicked the skse_loader.exe file and did a "Send to Desktop (create shortcut)", which leaves the file in that Skyrim folder, but allows me to one-click to start the game.

That's fine, just don't edit the shortcut directory path to something else (which I was under the impression is what you were saying). Next step is to post your BOSS log (I assume you have BOSS installed already), include a list of plugins not recognized by BOSS if one is generated, and enclose them in spoiler tags so they won't clutter the screen.

It wasn't until just now that I noticed that the Steam Skyrim targets a _URL_: steam\rungameid\######. I had pasted into that URL address the Directory path of C:\etc. I can see how that would leave things rather confused. The SKSE loader _does_ call for a Directory path, so no problemo.

Here's the BOSS report, with NO unrecognized mods. Note the calls for 8 Bash Tag suggestions:

These plugins are recognised by BOSS and have been sorted according to its masterlist. Please read any attached messages and act on any that require action.

• Skyrim.esm Active
  • Update.esm Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
  • Dawnguard.esm Active
  • HearthFires.esm Active
  • Dragonborn.esm Active
  • AP Skyrim.esm Active
  • moonpath.esm Active
  • SPIKE.esm Active
  • WARZONES - Civil Unrest.esm Active
  • HighResTexturePack01.esp Active
  • HighResTexturePack02.esp Active
  • HighResTexturePack03.esp Active
  • Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Active
  • Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp Active
  • Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp Active
  • Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev}}
  • fantasy music overhaul.esp Active
  • fantasy music overhaul - no vanilla music.esp Active
  • fantasy music overhaul - unique town music.esp Active
  • lockpickvision.esp Active
  • Chesko_WearableLantern.esp Active
  • Tytanis.esp Active
  • Convenient Horses.esp Active
  • Footprints.esp Active
  • hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp Active
  • Dr_Bandolier.esp Active
  • buildablehouse.esp Active
  • moonpath_questdata.esp Active
  • Run For Your Lives.esp Active
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ammo.esp Active
    • Note: Sharlikran's update of this file. Do not clean the file further with TES5Edit.
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Books.esp Active
    • Note: Sharlikran's update of this file. Do not clean the file further with TES5Edit.
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Food (Weightless).esp Active
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ingredients.esp Active
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Miscellaneous.esp Active
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Potions (Weightless).esp Active
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Soul Gems (Ranked).esp Active
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Spells.esp Active
  • Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp Active
  • Immersive Weapons.esp Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev}}
  • Helgen Reborn.esp Active
  • EnhancedLightsandFX.esp Active
  • DeadlySpellImpacts.esp Active
  • EMCompViljaSkyrim.esp Active
  • Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp Active
  • Bashed Patch, 0.esp Active

Edited by CaptainPatch

As mentioned before, the Bash Tag suggestions can be safely ignored. They are actually not intended for the user, but for Wrye Bash. If you have both Wrye Bash and BOSS installed, the first time you run BOSS, it will automatically tag the plugins according to the Bash Tag suggestions. If you wish, you can launch Wrye Bash and check to see if the plugins have been tagged accordingly (tags will be displayed in the bottom right window), but it's really not necessary. Since you have apparently cleaned the plugins and removed any 'dirty edits', now you can just rebuild the Bashed Patch, and you are done.

Edited by ripple

now you can just rebuild the Bashed Patch

Forgive me for being dense, but what does that _mean_? How can I rebuild something that I haven't built? And how do I select and apply the Bash suggestions? Thus far, I got "Start Wrye Bash". What do I _do_ next (in "Insert Tab A into Slot B" terminology, preferably)?

• Bashed Patch, 0.esp Active

This one. In Wrye Bash, where all your plugins are listed, right click on the Bash Patch plugin and select 'rebuild...' Any plugin with leveled lists edits and properly tagged (either by the author or BOSS) will show up. Make sure they are checked. You may also get a box that appears telling you Wrye Bash can merge some mods into the Bashed Patch. You can select 'ok' or 'skip' for that. Since you don't have that many plugins in your load order, merging plugins into the Bashed Patch isn't really going to make any difference.