CTD and freezing issues in open world.

RaubVogel7

Having a lot of CTD and freezing issues while playing the Dragonborn DLC. Especially when exiting Raven Rock but it occurs less consistantly in other places as well. I am seeing the following at the end of the log files each time. It looks like a script from a glitchy Dawngaurd quest is causing the issue but I have no idea how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

[DLC1VQ03Hunter (020098CB)].DLC1_QF_DLC1VQ03Hunter_010098CB.Fragment_28() - "<savegame>" Line ?
[06/08/2013 - 05:41:53AM] Error: Object reference has no 3D
stack:
[ (0001E68C)].Sound.Play() - "<native>" Line ?
[ (00076126)].fxDustDropRandomSCRIPT.OnLoad() - "<savegame>" Line ?
[06/08/2013 - 05:41:55AM] Error: Cannot call EvaluatePackage() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
[DLC1VQ03Hunter (020098CB)].DLC1VQ03MothpriestFightScript.FightLoop() - "<savegame>" Line ?
[DLC1VQ03Hunter (020098CB)].DLC1VQ03MothpriestFightScript.StartMothPriestFight() - "<savegame>" Line ?
[DLC1VQ03Hunter (020098CB)].DLC1_QF_DLC1VQ03Hunter_010098CB.Fragment_28() - "<savegame>" Line ?

No, it does not look like a script from a glitchy Dawngaurd quest. The Papyrus script log will never show you what is causing CTD.

To start with make sure that your load order has been cleaned up in Tes5Edit, you don't have mods with UDRs and that you are using BOSS to sort out your mods.

I have already done all of the above. It is not a load order issue; the game crashes at random times during gameplay, not immediatly.

But it seems a bit odd that a script from a quest I've already is done is spamming the log very consistantly before the crashes.

I started to get more frequent crashes, especially outdoors, recently and eventually tracked it down to savegame bloat being the culptit, you may have a mod that's leading to bloat due to faulty scripts or just being a really intensive mod, or something. My save was around 40MB when I started having problems, and it was creeping ever upward even if i just left my character idling. I took some drastic actions in order to save the character, and got it down to between 15 and 17 (it fluctuates) and things have been much better. this is how I got the savegame down to more reasonable levels: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/31675/ Now, be forewarned, do this as a LAST RESORT, It has some side effects, some are weird but nothing game breaking, like Adrienne Avenicci, Sapphire and a couple other NPC's just standing around in one spot all day and night, but it may have also broken the Civil War quest for me, so, fair warning, only try it after eliminating other possibilities and you are finding the game unplayable due to crashing. Start a new character with your current mods, and see if it crashes while playing. If that character is fine, there is something in your current character's save that is wrong. I am not entirely sure which mod was chiefly responsible for the problem, I noticed some wonky scripts with Wyrmstooth and Armed to the Teeth, so axed those, as well as a few others that I just thought were probably generating a lot of data to be saved, like SkyBirds, and my saves seem to be staying within reasonable levels now. a mod I didn't have that others seem to have frequent problems with causing bloat is Sounds of Skyrim

If you use an ENB, you may also want to consider disabling it, or hitting Shift+F12 while outdoors, or simply lower your graphics settings, as hitting your GPU limit can also cause a crash.

Edited by Raye