Windhelm is broken, scenes and dialogue do not work

TheAmazingDerpMan

i got a similar problem with alvor in riverwood his blacksmithing tutorial is missing

i thought it was a requiem bug

because years ago same alvor would give the quest no problem

and trying to start the tutorial quest with console commands didn't work

Edited by skannerz22

• 7 months later...

Joining on the train of skyrim's ostricised.

Exactly saame isssue: no scene fire-ups, no merchant barter dialogue options (except for the court wizard), with exactly the same LOOT-tweaked load order it suddenly works on new game allright (though it didn't work on my main save since right when I started it, but back then I thought it's just what one quest mod did. Spoiler - it was not that mod's doing)

But for me it's in Whiterun.

Edited by makujah

• 5 months later...

Hey, same problem here as well. Can't barter with anyone in Windhelm, nor access specific lines of dialogue.

It seems to be exactly what TheAmazingDerpMan described: The quest DialogueWindhelm is missing aliases, and because of this certain scenes won't trigger, merchants won't have the option to sell goods, etc. To check this, I used the console command

sqv DialogueWindhelm

Unfortunately, the root cause is rather elusive, so using a script to reset the aliases and reset the quest seems to be the only way of fixing this. I made a small mod to correct the bug in Windhelm, but the same should work for any city. Basically, I followed this tutorial (https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Detect_Player_Cell_Change_(Without_Polling)) to fire a script whenever I entered a new cell/city. The script then fills out missing aliases when necessary.

I also attached the files to this post, hope it helps anyone who comes across the same error.

Edited by Newairs

• 9 months later...

Tried the patch in the above post - installed it via MO2 - noticed the psc file was in the main directory alongside the esp which suggested I had to manually put it somewhere else so put a copy into a Scripts/Source directory as that is where my other (numerous) mods put psc files.

On starting the game there is no change to Windhelm - WindhelmDialogue still not running

Papyrus reports

[05/02/2022 - 11:42:02PM] Cannot open store for class "FixWindhelmInvisibleObject", missing file?
[05/02/2022 - 11:42:02PM] Error: Unable to bind script FixWindhelmInvisibleObject to (CA002881) because their base types do not match
[05/02/2022 - 11:42:02PM] Cannot open store for class "FixWindhelm", missing file?
[05/02/2022 - 11:42:02PM] Error: Unable to bind script FixWindhelm to (CA002881) because their base types do not match