VOCAB wars

TheCalliton

With the HMS Illustrious being the only active carrier...Paucity.... as in the RN suffers from a paucity (insufficiency) of blue water air superiority capability, being bereft of any true fleet carriers. :whistling:

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, the RN is in a lugubrious state, but mostly due to the vicissitudes of the financial state of Europe but mostly due to improvident politicians.

lugubrious: mournful; gloomy; dismal.

vicissitude: change in condition or fortune.

improvident: lacking foresight; negligent; thoughtless.

yawn ... I think some people here shouldn't be behaving like a whining ...
yeomanette. (plural yeomanettes, a woman serving as a yeoman in the U.S. naval reserve force during and immediately after World War I)
And if we would expand the game for non English terms we might have an cultural interaction ( only the explanation needs to be in English and it needs to be (recherchierbar German term for: ) researchable, Now try this to say it in German without any accent. If betting wouldn't be illegal here, I would wage 100$, that even Aurelius, or his wife can manage this word without any trouble on 1st try. I'm close to even assume that his dog can manage this word after a view tries of special training. But on most others here of your I have serious doubts on the 1st try.
Make this one open and you might learn a word or two from other languages if you like ...the world challenges the anglophobic...

mordacious: sharp or caustic in style, tone.

rebarbative: repellent; irritating

and keeping with the german theme -

sitzfleisch: the ability to sit out a problem or ignore it long enough in the hope it will go away.

gesundheit: Used to wish good health to someone who has sneezed.

A german businessman was on an Aeroflot flight crossing Russia when the woman next to him sneezed. He said 'Gesundheit!' She said: 'Thank goodness, someone who speaks English.

Pseudosophy- foolish pretense of wisdom....(aimed at no one) :biggrin:

The look my dog or wife pseudosophically gives me when I try persuade them that I know what I am doing, when in fact I'm wingin it.

Good to see you Silver..and yes I think we should open the floodgates..bound to learn something.

I checked and if there is a German version you will have to enlighten me as usual..

Inkompetenzkompensationskompetenz

in German (and click on the word for the German Wikipedia entry if you don't believe it)

incompetencefactorcorrectioncompetence (translated to English)

One of the fun things about German is that you just add words and make a conglomeration... ;D

Inkompetenzkompensationskompetenz

in German (and click on the word for the German Wikipedia entry if you don't believe it)

incompetencefactorcorrectioncompetence (translated to English)

One of the fun things about German is that you just add words and make a conglomeration... ;D

It is a living language! We have a wide array of words created and have even a yearly competition for the worst of them to discountenance foreigners. ;D

Edit : I hope, you could translate above Wiki entry. :wink:

Edited by SilverDNA