VOCAB wars

TheCalliton

punctilious: precise; exact in the smallest particulars.

So for the last couple of days CNN has had pretty much ongoing coverage of remembrance events for JFK and I watch CNN every day at lunch. Over the last 4 days I have had a total of 68 students in my classes and 5 adjunct instructors who have watched the noon hour news with me (I pick the channel) as they eat their lunch. Not one of the 73 actually had any idea of who JFK was other than a few who guessed he had been President at some time. Absolutely none had any idea of anything he had done as president. Until the news said so, none had any idea he had been killed in Dallas and the name Lee H. Oswald drew a blank look as did Jack Ruby on pretty much every face.

I felt very very old until it came time to run practical drills in the high rise tower. Weak puke students could keep up with me, but they were tired after. I assigned them homework over the weekend - an essay on JFK that had to be punctilious and absolutely no wikipedia crap.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I go through the JFK assignments,this word comes to mind - animadversion (harsh criticism or disapproval) with the odd one making me think

encomium (expression of praise).

Edited by Tidus44

Hexoponialphobia. It took me three hours of searching to find it. Not defining it.

Challange....not in OED , Websters or Greys

You might want to read the parameters of the game.

Obfuscate- to intentionally make obscure