You are Dragonborn.

Lehcar

So... why can't you be the Emperor/Empress? They're supposed to be Dragonborn. So rightfully, you should be, by Divine Right, since Akatosh gave the Dragonborn their powers and proclaimed that only Dragonborn should rule...

Edited by Lehcar

Alessia's "heirs" are actually symbolic successors, not biological descendants of her. Tiber Septim and the Septims that came after him had no blood relation to her, or any of the Emperors that came before....

One wonders about the Dragonborn and the Skyrim story. Was it supposed to be different than it turned out to be? There are elements that do make one wonder, particularly the Civil War and the Dark Brotherhood quest line.

The Civil War just doesn't seem to fit into the story. It is a great element in the story, and even well done to a point, but it doesn't go anywhere and has no specific meaning to the story of the Dragonborn. It leads one to wonder where exactly were the story tellers going with this element and what was the intended connection to the overall story.

The DB quest line is another element that leaves one wondering. Assassinate the Emperor in a storyline where political intrigue is hinted upon, particularly with a Civil War and the Thalmor Question as ongoing conflicts within the story.

Another element that was introduced and had some great potential that just faded away and had no actual connection to the overall story, and worse, were never fully explored nor did they provide that "aha" moment that gave one the reason why they occurred or why they were even included in the story.

Skyrim had all the elements and characters of an epic story that could have at the very least led to a point where the decision to become Emperor/Empress of Tamriel was at least presented and the player was left with the choice, because, as the thread is titled; "You are Dragonborn" and that should mean something.

On the other hand, perhaps the intent of Akatosh was to simply provide a "blunt object" whose sole purpose was to stop Alduin (as I am not convinced Alduin was defeated - no soul was absorbed). Does one gold plate and then set in a place of honor the "tool" one uses to fix a problem or does one simply use the tool and drop it back into the tool box and forget about it until it is needed again?

Anyway, the story of Skyrim feels like it was written by writing ideas on 1" by 1" pieces of paper and sticking them to a wall and then shooting at them with a shotgun. The pieces of paper that got hit with a pellet got included in the story.

Edited by Tidus44

I don't disagree with your overall opinion that we're playing a brainstorming session, but on your specifics I think you're wrong.

The Civil War is part of the conditions in the prophecy for Alduin's Return and sets up the Thalmor as long-term villains. The dying Empire and the rise of a New Skyrim Hero (or New Nord Hero if you're Nord) to face those villains has historical roots.

Alduin's rise heralds by prophecy the Empire's fall and a new force, a new Dragonborn just like Tiber Septim of old, rises to defeat Alduin and take the Old Empire's place. It is only fitting that at the place where Men won their freedom from genocidal Elves long ago the Men destined to defeat the Thalmor would rise up once again and defeat the symbolic "End of Men" at the hands of the Thalmor by defeating the actual End of the World at the hands (claws?) of Alduin. The fall of Talos and His restoration -- by the Dragonborn no less -- are also symbolic. That seems well thought-out to me. When there's Nazi Elves in your neighborhood who you gonna call?

On the Imperial side you could make the same case for the Blades; they also fought dragons and their [loose] predecessors defeated the Ayleids. Now the Empire is back with new Blades and new attitude to save the world once again. Dying Empires don't defeat world-eating dragons. The strength of the Empire rests in the hands of the heroes like the Dragonborn and Blades who defend it. The Empire was waiting for a new Dragonborn. The wait is over.

The Dark Brotherhood was a great quest-line that leaves you wondering whether you're saving the Empire or hastening its demise. The fall of the Empire into corruption heralding the rise of the Brotherhood seems the most likely story to me, but like the end of the Sopranos the big question is left a mystery. Your critique was spot-on, but I don't have a problem with that. Not everything in Skyrim fits together coherently, but I think putting the player on rails defeats the purpose of open worlds.

I think you should give the main story another look. Unlike most of the rest of the stories that one makes complete sense.

By all rights, you, as Dragonborn, are the rightful heir to the throne...

But maybe that's got something to do with TES VI, eh? Spoilers, Doctor...spoilers.

srslytho - I really do believe that Bethesda brought back the "Dragonborn" in V to show a return of the TRUE power of the Empire, as the last true Dragonborn died in the events of IV. My personal theory is that, since they hinted that the Sheogorath in Skyrim is actually the Champion of Cyrodiil from Oblivion...maybe in TES VI, the Emperor/Empress of Tamriel will be hinted at being the Dovahkiin from the events of TES V.

But then, that's just my theory.

Edited by AlduinWorldEater

Would of been great if the main questline and side quests were somehow connected. The only quests with a minor connection are Thiefs Guild and DB. Killing the emperor in the DB questline could of been made by an offer of the emperor to become a general in his army and make a good amount of gold (betraying the DB guild eventually), which had you participating in the civil war... some more control on the events and choices the player can make, each leading to a different end and shaping a different world. All the quests seem to end in a pre-defined way...

It's an awesome game, big, huge world... many stuff one could do, but would of been great if there were real points into doing X or Y and have your choices be of great influence to the game... what if you completely ignore the main questline? Alduin is never attacking the world and starts to wipe entire cities of the map... The world eater is not hungry? There's close to zero consequences to your actions.

Sadly skyrim has too many loose endings and unfinished storylines

the Civil , the thalmor presence , the blades , just to name a few

Sadly bethesda choose to abandon the whole game because the added time and energy required to make DLC s for all 3 platforms especially when a lot of the console users lost interest and moved on

Edited by kleinstaff