When a settlement is attacked, what are the attackers targeting?

Fuguss

Do the attackers target the workbench itself when you are there or just attacking in general or otherwise?

I am asking this because I try to make my settlements no bigger than really needed (Not really creative when it comes to making them but at the same time feel like importing a settlement directly without cost is too "cheaty" for me) and when it comes to Sanctuary, I would like to have it centered near the start of the bridge instead of just where the workbench is like normal.

And I am wondering if I moved the settlement to that area and left the workbench alone, would the raiders actually be able to target and steal from it, forcing me to leave it protected, or can I just move my operations there and ignore the workbench itself without consequence?

Would love a version of settlement import managers where you import a settlement plan and instead of just building it, it would have a ghost of the stuff only visible in workshop mode but you still have to actually build it yourself using your materials to do so while also still meeting the requirements to do so, good middle-ground. But that doesn't exist and would probably be hell to actually build if anyone tried. Just wanting to know if I actually need to defend the workbench or I can make a settlement that doesn't need to.

There are placed spawn points outside the vanilla settlement area. If you are there when the attack happens, that's where enemies start, and they move toward whatever target first presents itself. I think their priorities are things that shoot back first though.... (including settlers.) If you AREN'T there when the attack starts, then the game decides how far they have moved, and if you fast travel in, they can spawn pretty much anywhere. So far, I have not seen any trends in attackers spawning near any specific item..... And I think you only lose resources is you LOSE the fight......

So, I could create a settlement where the workbench itself isn't actually in it or protected at all and my resources still be completely safe?

Don't want to pull a "Clash of Clans" where they can raid my resources from an unprotected workbench. The one thing I was worried about. While I know they will target and destroy plants and generators and stuff, didn't know if they targeted the workbench.

So, I could create a settlement where the workbench itself isn't actually in it or protected at all and my resources still be completely safe?

Don't want to pull a "Clash of Clans" where they can raid my resources from an unprotected workbench. The one thing I was worried about. While I know they will target and destroy plants and generators and stuff, didn't know if they targeted the workbench.

Only if you win every fight. :D

Keep in mind, the game only pays attention to the defense value of your settlement. You could give all of your settlers power armor, and miniguns, but, if your defense value is low, you will still lose almost every fight. (unless you are there before the fight ends.) In such a case, it doesn't matter where the workbench is, or how well defended it is, lost the fight, and you will lose resources.

If there are no settlers and resources nobody will ever attack the settlement. So your fully stuffed workbench out in the open is perfectly safe. (at least, I never noticed anything missing)

Having food & water is the trigger (not sure about settlers). To avoid losing add all values (water + food + power) and make sure your total defense is higher. Double to be pretty sure.

• 3 months later...

The actual trigger are settlers, if you have them at zero nobody will ever attack even the fully stuffed settlement.

What should you keep out of attackers are your weapon stashes and especially nuka-world warlord chest, if enemy tries to take anything out of it (and they for sure will) the game ctd immediately.

Apart from that your responsibility is to give a settlement 100 defence, which will lower attack occurence and max your chances for winning in unattended attacks to around 70%