Texas on it's way to become a purple state over abortion rights?

colourwheel

If Texas wants to go, they can go. Of course, at the first sign of trouble they'd be begging the US for help, I'm sure. Also, I wonder how many of those rules Wendy Davis had to adhere to would have been in place if she'd been filibustering for something of which they approved?

As for how people like that get into office, don't women get a vote, etc: Jim, I don't know how politicians operate in the UK, but here, they're very good at disguising what they're really trying to do behind unassuming names, which clouds the issue. For instance, Immigration reformsounds like something that would be one thing, which it's really the opposite. Also, they hide it in other bills as 'riders', say "We won't let your thing pass unless you work in our agenda, too" and so on. Also, not all people are convinced that it's really an issue, or think "Well, if it doesn't affect me, who cares?" and don't vote at all or don't take human nature into account and think things like "Don't want a baby? Then don't screw around." or quite often it comes to "I don't want government meddling in my life, but it can meddle all it wants in areas with which I disagree", such as abortion.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Texas wants to go, they can go. Of course, at the first sign of trouble they'd be begging the US for help, I'm sure.

Almost a half a year ago only 125,746 people signed the petition for Texas to succeed from the union. According to the U.S. census of 2012, about 26.06 million people live in Texas. So if you ask me those 125,746 can leave the U.S.A. if they want but doesn't mean they should demand to take the whole state with them. ;D

The same thing for the other 29 states that signed petitions to succeed from the union amounted to less than a fraction of the states population.

Also, I wonder how many of those rules Wendy Davis had to adhere to would have been in place if she'd been filibustering for something of which they approved?

This is the thing, The rules she had to follow were purposely put in place to avoid from anyone actually trying attempt to filibuster the bill. They figured no one in their right mind in the state legislature would stand for 13 hours with out a break, food, water, and have to continue talking on topic with out stopping. Wendy Davis just proved them wrong, She was willing to fight the bill even with the ridiculous rules she had to follow.

Edited by colourwheel

In order for Texas to go blue, democrats would need to change some of their policies, and I don't see them doing that. Take immigration, huge issue here. Government spending, another issue, because we Texans don't want a state income tax. Gun control, I know many farmers who own guns, and it isn't for hunting. In order for Texas to go blue, democrats would have to bend a bit on this issues. Even abortion, I think they might have to bend a bit. Most of Texas doesn't want to be a California or New York, they are proud to be Texan. There is a reason why tourists in Europe say they are either from the USA or Texas. Actually had a tour guide ask us why we said Texas and not the USA like other Americans.

In order for Texas to go blue, democrats would need to change some of their policies, and I don't see them doing that. Take immigration, huge issue here.

Won't waves of immigration take care of that, though? I think I remember reading somewhere that Latinos would become the majority in Texas by the 2020s, won't this change the perception of immigration among the majority of Texans?

Edited by Mandamus

Immigration is an issue even among Latinos. Despite news reports, here they are anything but united, and there is a large group that resents mass amnesty that democrats propose. I know many who worked hard to become legal, and do speak out against the policies that democrats push for, however, you never hear about them.

Rick Perry announced he will not be running for re-election.

Considering the huge popularity and support Davis has made over abortion rights in Texas, despite The Republican Legislature effort to force bills that purposely to close down women's healthcare clinics, Davis might be the next governor of Texas.

Regardless if Wendy Davis runs or not It's a good thing for Texas women for Perry to finally leave the throne of the state. Perry's legacy will be left in record with striking down bill's to protect women from violence, railing against equity bills to pay women equally in the work place, and forcing anti-abortion bills down the throats of women for years...

I really hope Texas will become a better state soon since Rick Perry is now out of the picture.

Also if Davis wins the governorship, decades of outrageous redistricting in favor of republicans in Texas will finally come to an end. Voting suppression will also most likely be eliminated despite the huge efforts the republican party has been trying to do in almost every state their party controls.

Edited by colourwheel

It went ahead and passed anyways. The question is, did the democrats bite off more than they could chew with this fight and make themselves look bad?

Not really now there is a strong progressive movement that has arised from forcing unpopular legislation in the state of Texas. Now that Rick Perry is not running for governor next election there is a strong chance according to many republican strategists that the state may turn blue within the next few cycles. If Wendy Davis runs for governor and wins a lot legislation that was passed from anti-abortion restrictions to violence against women and equity pay for women will eventually be reversed. Texas has become the most extreme anti-women state in all of the states in the union and I really hope for this to be reversed soon.

Edited by colourwheel

It went ahead and passed anyways. The question is, did the democrats bite off more than they could chew with this fight and make themselves look bad?

Not really now there is a strong progressive movement that has arised from forcing unpopular legislation in the state of Texas. Now that Rick Perry is not running for governor next election there is a strong chance according to many republican strategists that the state may turn blue within the next few cycles. If Wendy Davis runs for governor and wins a lot legislation that was passed from anti-abortion restrictions to violence against women and equity pay for women will eventually be reversed. Texas has become the most extreme anti-women state in all of the states in the union and I really hope for this to be reversed soon.

Not if she has a republican controlled congress under her. She will be in the same boat as Obama, and won't be able to get ANYTHING done.

Not if she has a republican controlled congress under her. She will be in the same boat as Obama, and won't be able to get ANYTHING done.

I think your missing the bigger picture. If Wendy takes over the governorship the states long history of redistricting will eventually come to an end in favor of republicans. The whole reason why the state of Texas has remained so Red since 1976 and the states legislature controlled by the republican party is because of gerrymandering.

Once republicans in the state lose control of gerrymandering so many representatives it's inevitable so much of the unpopular legislation pushed through the state senate will be undone.

federal government compared to individual states operate differently in a way where it is easier for a whole state to gain total control by one political party because of redistricting.

Edited by colourwheel