OCZ agility 3 480gb ssd

NEARLY bought it myself, went with twin Intels instead for cost cutting reasons, but I do have some other OCZ parts and they're very good quality. I'd recomend going for it, you've not got muich to lose and they're a great brand. Just get a big-ass USB aswell and backup all your data before messing with the HDD, I have a big 2TB Toshiba mobile HDD I use for that.

I have that exact drive (I paid around $300 after tax for it about half a year ago). It's a asynchronous nand drive so it isn't as high performance as its vertex counterpart, and will not benchmark like new drives but for consumer use it is great. Just about any ssd will perform well and 480GB is a great storage size for frequently used applications and games.

I agree the price is what i was looking at and size, i am not looking for out right load times, but with my 8350 and 8gb of ram plus 2 radeon 7950's i could see 1second start times either way with my current setup. Fresh install of windows 7.

Skyrim would surely benefit from it as well, its stuttering is driving me mad.

I agree the price is what i was looking at and size, i am not looking for out right load times, but with my 8350 and 8gb of ram plus 2 radeon 7950's i could see 1second start times either way with my current setup. Fresh install of windows 7.

Skyrim would surely benefit from it as well, its stuttering is driving me mad.

ok first off, what do your GPUs and RAM have to do with your boot time?

also 1 second boot time? highly highly doubt it. probably wouldnt believe it even if it were caught on video.

i dont notice any stuttering in Skyrim, and i only have one 7950 and with a bunch of texture pack mods (no ENB) and i get a consistent 60fps everywhere, caves, towns, big battles, etc. i think they only thing youd really notice by Skyrim on an SSD is slightly faster load times (its not much) and slightly less pop in rate (from what ive heard)

im looking at getting a new one someday. 128gb is just too small. would like to get at least a 256gb, and put my VMs on it.

that said, this is a hell of a deal. and ive heard good thing about the OCZ Agility 3s. better then its predecessors. though i have a Crucial M4, and i love it, so thats probably what id stick with for myself in the future, even if it ends up costing a little more.

EDIT:

even cheaper on Newegg!!

Edited by hoofhearted4

You don't know how ssd's work right, they have the potential to boot any pc faster then any hard drive thats Mechanical because its memory based vs moving parts, in standard HD's there is a slight delay when it fires up. Even Hybrids can't compete do to the fact its mechanical through and through, the only thing that the hybrids do is have a cache which saves data for a short time.

Any bottlenecks can greatly reduce performance doo to lack of latency, the higher the latency the faster it responds, more memory helps a lot when it comes to stability, anything helps. The Processor speeds up data processing while the HD caches that data, ssd's there is no bottleneck so in a sense you can get amazing performance even with a older system. One thing that slows down most machines is the HD.

Edited by Thor.

As an end user you should NOT be concerned with what kind of flash it is, what the controller's cache size is, how many internal channels there are, and what process was used to make the silicon.

You don't know enough to make a judgment based on that, all you can decide on is the performance.

That said, M500 is only slightly more expensive and considerably better. OCZ isn't good on reliability, and Sandforce is worse.

Keep it up, if you guys can help me find a decent ssd at the same price point, i would give you a kudos. I am very serious at this point on getting that particular drive. i could always return it.

the thing is, i need a reliable drive. It'll be my c drive after all. ;D
Also considering getting Crucial m5, they are quite good in comparison, but the read writes are slower.

Edited by Thor.

You don't know how ssd's work right, they have the potential to boot any pc faster then any hard drive thats Mechanical because its memory based vs moving parts, in standard HD's there is a slight delay when it fires up. Even Hybrids can't compete do to the fact its mechanical through and through, the only thing that the hybrids do is have a cache which saves data for a short time.

Any bottlenecks can greatly reduce performance doo to lack of latency, the higher the latency the faster it responds, more memory helps a lot when it comes to stability, anything helps. The Processor speeds up data processing while the HD caches that data, ssd's there is no bottleneck so in a sense you can get amazing performance even with a older system. One thing that slows down most machines is the HD.

you still never mentioned your GPU. i have an SSD. i know how much faster an SSD boots up a PC then an HDD. i know why it boots up faster then an HDD. but the boot time was the same in my laptop as it was in my desktop. GPU and RAM had nothing to do with it.

Graphic memory also helps, the faster the memory the higher the latency, also increases overall latency.

Also what are you connecting it with, sata 3 cable is required to get the overall high end performance.

Edited by Thor.