Edit magazines

FullMetalMadcat

Yes, you could, but the great majority of modders simply rip said assets and often make mention of it. And even if it's more obvious with mag covers, the worse that could have happened would have been a cease and desist, and for that to happen, it would require Playboy to give a tenpenny duck about it.

Yes, you could, but the great majority of modders simply rip said assets and often make mention of it. And even if it's more obvious with mag covers, the worse that could have happened would have been a cease and desist, and for that to happen, it would require Playboy to give a tenpenny duck about it.

Yup, someone complaining in another thread that he directly ripped off Modern Warfare, stated that he was doing so on his mod page basically admitting he was breaking the law, and was surprised when the mod got removed.

And the worst that could happen is Nexus Mods gets sued. Cease-and-desist letters are not required, they are just cheaper than a lawsuit.

It's simple. Use assets in your mod belonging to someone else without explicit permission and you are breaking the law. Don't be surprised when Nexus decides they don't want to be party to that. Don't whine about how other people aren't getting caught, take responsibility and admit you made a mistake.

Welcome to this episode of "Missing the point", with our special guest; Old hand.

The point of FullMetalMadcat's intervention is that if he used other people's art, in this case vintage Playboy covers, and his mod gets yanked, why aren't the other mods that blatantly rip off assets from other games yanked as well?

Game publishers not paying attention isn't a gateway to rip said assets, as specifically stated in the EULA's that YOU agree with when you install their games. It's like saying "Well, the security in this store doesn't care so I should steal as much as can."

Again, he made his point clear: If his mod is pulled, why aren't the others? Either the rule applies for everyone, or not at all.

Ba-dum-tshh.

Edited by LocknLoadJessie

Again, he made his point clear: If his mod is pulled, why aren't the others? Either the rule applies for everyone, or not at all.

Because the others haven't been caught.

Ba-dum-tshh

"I got caught stealing and got arrested, but my cousin didn't get caught and arrested, so why am I going to jail when he's not?" is a stupid argument.

Others haven't been caught.

Ha ha.

Bullocks.

Just use the keywords of popular games made by other companies and you'll get scores of mods using ripped assets. It's as easy peasy as that. It's not like the mods are hard to find.

["I got caught stealing and got arrested, but my cousin didn't get caught and arrested, so why am I going to jail when he's not?" is a stupid argument.]

What kind of half-baked arguments is that? Try to squeeze your head with a more similar comparison: My cousin and I stole from a store, we left together with our hands full with no receipt, the police saw that we both stole but they only arrested me.

Copyrighted assets, source notwithstanding, are copyrighted assets. Easy to find, easy to delete. It's not that the Nexus can't see those mods, they're simply like the cops who let thieves pass under their nose without doing anything.

Damn, are you this dense for real not to understand this elementary school level concept?

Ba-dum-tshh

"I got caught stealing and got arrested, but my cousin didn't get caught and arrested, so why am I going to jail when he's not?" is a stupid argument.

Don't waste your breath. Not worth it.

Ba-dum-tshh

Don't waste your breath. Not worth it.

I know, just the perpetual victimhood really annoys me sometimes.

[i know, just the perpetual victimhood really annoys me sometimes.]

Clearly, you have a rather poor understanding of the word victimhood (you are what? 15?). If OP was constantly complaining on these forums I'd probably give validity to your claim, but it's not the case at all. He's only made one statement regarding rules that are not applied to everyone.

So, stop being this dense. Or stay that way. Pick one.

If you like the concept of your mod and want to repost a modified version, there are a number of vintage pinups and covers that aren't under copyright anymore, although you may have to go further back in time than you want.

You just have to put a fair amount of work in to make sure that the copyrights have expired, before determining that they have, because some "free public domain" image sites lie.

Wikimedia Commons is a good place to start.

Basically, the situation is that anything that was published before a certain date is probably no longer copyrighted, and anything after that but before another later date (1964, I think) isn't copyrighted anymore if the original copyright holder didn't renew the copyright by a certain point.