Textures in NIF Files?

Trying to mod a custom NPC and no matter what I do I can't get the mismatched face texture to change. I've replaced the textures with several different ones but the original texture remains.

Is it possible that the old, low res texture is hardcoded in the NIF file someplace instead of referencing the actual texture? Or do I need to turn the face textures into a BGSM and then stick that in the NIF?

(In case you can't tell I know almost nothing about Nifskope)

Trying to mod a custom NPC and no matter what I do I can't get the mismatched face texture to change. I've replaced the textures with several different ones but the original texture remains.

Â

Is it possible that the old, low res texture is hardcoded in the NIF file someplace instead of referencing the actual texture? Or do I need to turn the face textures into a BGSM and then stick that in the NIF?

Â

(In case you can't tell I know almost nothing about Nifskope)

it's easier to use outfit studio to replace mesh materials for characters. Naturally, you need to specify textures in bgsm materials and assign those materials to os. The following formats are used for body and head mesh textures. Body and arms ... D - dxt1, N - bs5, S - bs5. Head D - dxt3, N - bs5, S - bs5. Failure to meet these standards will result in a dark face error. Also, the texture S of the face should be 512x512, N - 1024x1024. In the opposite case, there should be a complete package of hd textures with replacement for hd textures of all overlays.

I thought for HD the D and N were 2k/4k, and the S 1k?

The original uses 4k body textures, but only 1k face textures with a 512 specular. So of course the face is brown. Just the face, not the body, hands, or back of head. Replacing the face files with a different set that is supposedly HD doesn't fix the issue. Using the CK to export a new face gen after that still doesn't fix the issue.

I've checked the character, race and skin files in the CK and they all reference the custom textures. I look at the textures in paint.net and they are the same color of skin. But in the game the skin is pale, the face is brown. Basically no combination of textures makes the face match the rest of the body. Installing the High Res Black Face Fix, even though I don't have the hi res dlc installed, did not fix it, and turned MY face brown lol I even tried changing the pointers to the custom textures to the stock ones, still didn't work. I even deleted the freakin textures, and only her body turned purple. Face is still the same color!

So wait. That means the face is using the stock textures, not the custom ones.

I thought for HD the D and N were 2k/4k, and the S 1k?

ÃÃÃÂ

The original uses 4k body textures, but only 1k face textures with a 512 specular.ÃÃÃÂ So of course the face is brown.ÃÃÃÂ Just the face, not the body, hands, or back of head.ÃÃÃÂ Replacing the face files with a different set that is supposedly HD doesn't fix the issue.ÃÃÃÂ Using the CK to export a new face gen after that still doesn't fix the issue.

ÃÃÃÂ

I've checked the character, race and skin files in the CK and they all reference the custom textures.ÃÃÃÂ I look at the textures in paint.net and they are the same color of skin.ÃÃÃÂ But in the game the skin is pale, the face is brown.ÃÃÃÂ Basically no combination of textures makes the face match the rest of the body.ÃÃÃÂ Installing the High Res Black Face Fix, even though I don't have the hi res dlc installed, did not fix it, and turned MY face brown lolÃÃÃÂ I even tried changing the pointers to the custom textures to the stock ones, still didn't work.ÃÃÃÂ I even deleted the freakin textures, and only her body turned purple.ÃÃÃÂ Face is still the same color!

ÃÃÃÂ

So wait.ÃÃÃÂ That means the face is using the stock textures, not the custom ones.

I did just that. There are no black face errors. But the standards for N and S are exactly that. If the resolution of N and S is higher, then it is necessary to replace all textures for all overlays with hd. There is a mod with hd textures (there are more than a hundred textures) and you need to install it, otherwise you won't be able to use hd textures for the face. The face will be black. For the back of the head, dxt3 is used as well as for the face.For textures, only Photoshop works properly. All other editors are nonsense, and these third-party editors work simply because ce is relatively omnivorous for static meshes, and eats many texture formats that are not vanilla natively. But Bethesda uses Photoshop plugins d3d nvidea for D, and intel texture works for N and S. Without Photoshop, it's probably not even possible to create custom textures for the face.And I still don't understand where exactly you are replacing textures. Custom textures either replace vanilla ones with the same names (for example, ready-made texture packs for cbbe or fg), or assign new ones in the material editor, if you have a unique, custom body mesh (this also happens, in my case, for example). Edited by South8028

It's not the texture files. I changed the race from custom to human using the CK and everything is fixed. Admittedly the face shape and height are different. Maybe I'll go back and make a different custom race so I can make small changes until everything works.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

A NIF can indeed have textures hardcoded in it.

Look for something called TextureSet under LightingShader nodes. If it exists, it may (or may not) have dds files defined in it. There is a mapping between their order and what type of texture (d, s, n, etc) they map to, but I don't remember it offhand.

These textures also are what Nifskope displays in UV editor, regardless of any materials (BGSM) being defined or not.

A NIF can indeed have textures hardcoded in it.

Look for something called TextureSet under LightingShader nodes. If it exists, it may (or may not) have dds files defined in it. There is a mapping between their order and what type of texture (d, s, n, etc) they map to, but I don't remember it offhand.

These textures also are what Nifskope displays in UV editor, regardless of any materials (BGSM) being defined or not.

Yup, there it is. The NIF hardcodes to character\basehumanfemale instead of character\npcname. Which is why the face and skin aren't matching up and giving the brown face bug.

Thanks!