TRI-SLI or one big GPU?

Title says it all. My PC's EVGA GTX580 put up years of noble service, but it's time to change. I'm looking for a new graphics card(s) My question is, for 500-600 US$ is it better to go SLI and use three cheapies, or just whack in a single, gigantic card? The motherboard is a Z77X series, UP7, in a completely ordinary case.

Three-way SLI don't scale well across most games, better to go single powerful GPU or squeeze it another $100 and go two-way SLI. Might find a sale and get yourself two GTX 660 Ti 3 GB models for CAD $340 (based on figures where I live).

GTX 660 2 GB in 3-way SLI ($200 each) < GTX 680 4 GB ($550) in terms of overall performance, due to smaller memory bus width, VRAM limitation, weaker cores, and sub-par SLI scalability on the GTX 660.

Since you said that you're willing to spend $500 - $600, then a GTX 680 4 GB is within your reach. Try Newegg.

Edited by ZeroKing

Just be cautious if you wait to long to go sli or crossfire, the chances of that one particular make may or may not be available at all or very expensive do to rarity. It would be wise to buy the sli cards of choice right away. instead of waiting month in between.

Edited by Thor.

I disagree with that completely. Unless you are buying a Ghz edition or some other special edition they don't just stop making cards. If you get a regular card like a gigabyte card it'll still be available for a long time to come esp after only a month. And even if say newegg stops selling that card it can still usually be found on eBay or something.

I bought my card almost a year ago (not quite yet) and its still for sale.

GTX 660 2 GB in 3-way SLI ($200 each) < GTX 680 4 GB ($550) in terms of overall performance, due to smaller memory bus width, VRAM limitation, weaker cores, and sub-par SLI scalability on the GTX 660.

What does "overall performance" mean in your book?

660 SLI will blow 680/4 GB out of the water in every test you throw at them, every game, etc., except for those that don't support SLI at all in any way. It's not even a contest.

Since 680/4GB has exactly the same performance in all applications as 680/2GB, down to the percent, it doesn't matter which one is tested.

Here's some examples:

http://lanoc.org/review/video-cards/5953-nvidia-gtx-660-sli-performance?start=2

http://www.behardware.com/articles/876-21/review-nvidia-geforce-gtx-660-asus-directcu-ii-top-and-sli.html

edit: Also, there's no reason at all to buy 680 when 770 is available. Only exception being a used 680 if it's a good deal.

Edited by FMod

Vin asked for three-way SLI, which never scales well in most games. Two-way works fine. That's the overall performance, if you've read my comparison: "sub-par SLI scalability on the GTX 660". All of those numbers indicate two-way SLI, which most game engines and multi-GPU drivers work well together. Not always true to three-way; most games do NOT gain much from three-way systems.

Besides, I've also stated to Vin that he can get a better deal with two GTX 660 Ti, far better than three GTX 660.

Edited by ZeroKing

GTX660 doesn't support 3-way SLI at all. You can't connect the third card, there is no bridge slot for it, and drivers won't recognize it.

When and where it works at all, 3-way SLI is always more powerful than 2-way SLI, not less. Sometimes barely more powerful, but more.

And even 2-way SLI of 660's will devastate a 680/4.